• Black Sabbath
    • Oasis
    • Lynard Skynard
    • The Allman Brothers
    • Coldplay
    • Nirvana
    • The Beatles
    • Queen

Nirvana were **** huge before Cobain died. I dont want to say they invented a genre, but they certainly popularised it and were the reason that countless other bands got record deals.
That's probably true. But it is in the end just a genre.

And probably much more important in the US than in the UK.

Probably. But then Led Zeppelin are undoubtedly more important in the US than they are in the UK too. That doesnt mean that they arent the best band that ever came out of Worcestershire!

I'm with Nayson on Nirvana - they were awesome.

read "Heavier Than Heaven" by Charles Cross...then start listening to the music from Bleach onwards. You'll be hooked.

Nirvana were **** huge before Cobain died. I dont want to say they invented a genre, but they certainly popularised it and were the reason that countless other bands got record deals. It's not the most scientific measurement, but Heart Shaped Box has 17 million views on the Nirvana channel on YouTube. Add to that the view counts for live versions and earlier uploads (the official one was uploaded 18 months ago) and its got 22+ million views. Nobody cares?

If they'd have made more good songs then their die hard fans would have more choice and wouldn't all be watching the same handful of tracks.

I just wonder why people dig those old threads up and how they find them. I mean, I know where they are, but are people really checking through the sites for old threads to bring them up again? :?

Anyway, since this one is almost 3 years old I have to admit that my view on Nirvana has changed a bit. They made more good songs than I thought. But still, very overrated IMO.

Nirvana survived and became so popular by aiming their genre towards the loner crowd (no offence intended), they were the band for the not so cool kids who could all stick together because they had one thing in common...their love for Nirvana.

Different music for the different crowd.

Nirvana survived and became so popular by aiming their genre towards the loner crowd (no offence intended), they were the band for the not so cool kids who could all stick together because they had one thing in common...their love for Nirvana.

I can confirm that this is totally false.

So much for great minds Wiggy ;)

since this one is almost 3 years old I have to admit that my view on Nirvana has changed a bit

you may not be surprised to learn my view on Queen hasn't :winkold:

Citation needed.

tracks you listed after the first 2 ( Lithium? In Bloom? Heart Shaped Box? All Apologies? Pennyroyal Tea?) I wouldn't even recognise from the titles, maybe they'd be familiar if I heard them but there are only 2 tracks from Nirvana I can say I recognise from the titles. All the other 'overrated' bands have a whole selection of good songs that are familiar, good, regularly played on the radio, TV, adverts, films. Its based on this that I don't believe they deserve their rating from many as a great band.

2 big songs, that is all. If he hadn't blown his head off we wouldn't even be having this conversation.

Just because you can't recognise the titles doesn't mean they're not a great and hugely popular band. They are.

PS - Radiohead?! C'mon son.

since this one is almost 3 years old I have to admit that my view on Nirvana has changed a bit

you may not be surprised to learn my view on Queen hasn't :winkold:

No, I know you still love them but don't dare to admit it. ;)

Citation needed.

tracks you listed after the first 2 ( Lithium? In Bloom? Heart Shaped Box? All Apologies? Pennyroyal Tea?) I wouldn't even recognise from the titles, maybe they'd be familiar if I heard them but there are only 2 tracks from Nirvana I can say I recognise from the titles. All the other 'overrated' bands have a whole selection of good songs that are familiar, good, regularly played on the radio, TV, adverts, films. Its based on this that I don't believe they deserve their rating from many as a great band.

2 big songs, that is all. If he hadn't blown his head off we wouldn't even be having this conversation.

Just because you can't recognise the titles doesn't mean they're not a great and hugely popular band. They are.

I didn't say not popular, I said over rated.

I can confirm that this is totally false.

So much for great minds Wiggy ;)

Its true tho Stevo, its the same with Slipknot. Monsterously successfull in the US. Different music aimed at the different crowd, they dont target the mainstream pop genre, the cool music if you like, instead they go for the different outsider crowd and it works very well because it builds a bond between that crowd, something they all have in common.

Aah glad someone brought up Kings of Leon - they WERE good. Then they went mainstream and were utter utter SHITE.

Charmer and Molly's Chambers gave way to fecking Sex on Fire, which is IMO the most overrated song ever.

Â