• The Beatles
    • Queen

Kaiser Chiefs

Arctic Monkeys

Recent RHCP

Audioslave

Snow Patrol

Pink Floyd (I just don't like them)

All a matter of taste really. What bands don't you like that are generally popular in the main?

None of the above, they're all OK.

Hands-down winner is U2.

With Joy Division/New Order and The Smiths in close contention.

:shock:

Id expect that kind of language from a Bluenose, but for a Villa fan to have such poor taste?

Love will tear us apart

(possibly my fave guitar riff ever.)

Joy Division/New Order **** rule. :rant:

Sorry, but it's probably my generally anti-80s bias (as expounded at length on previous threads). I just find them utterly tedious.

Oasis and Nirvana personifies overrated bands for me. Went for Oasis as I think they were slightly worse than Nirvana and the Gallagher-brothers are just fools. U2 is another good shout. But they've done a bit more than Nirvana and Oasis that is at least half good. Have to admit that I've got one Oasis-album. Bought it when I was young and stupid. :oops:

Oh here we go again, someone used the O word, the O word means nothing, as does the U word

But in the Spirit of this, the most over rated band in the history of the world HAS to be ............*no prizes for guessing*................The Beatles with Queen a fookin close second

Music for people who don't really like music but can't face up to the fact

I have to agree with Rev in disagreeing with MJ Mooney, Joy Division are one of my favourite bands but oddly I find New Order incredibly average.

And Radiohead are not overrated either, as are the Smiths.

In terms of overrated bands, well....

RHCP

Sonic Youth

Big Country (for a certain someone)

Talking Heads

Coldplay

Tenacious D

Libertines

In my humble opinion of course :winkold:

I voted Nirvana.

I see a lot of people mentioning U2 as the most overrated band and I suppose I'll contradict myself a bit now since in my opinion, U2 are the best thing since sliced bread, yet slightly overrated.

My personal opinion is that almost everything that U2 has made after the release of the album Achtung Baby in 1991, is very overrated, and lately too mainstream and actually not that good at all!

However looking back on what kind of songs U2 wrote in the eighties and compare them to what was going on in the music business during the eighties and one will realise that they were very different and innoventive. I'm thinking of songs like

"With or Without You" and
They are timeless and I don't think many would raise an eyebrow if someone said that they were made, for instance, in 2004, instead of the correct years which would be 1987, 1987 and 1984.

I think because of the songs that they wrote back in the eighties, it is justifies that they are named among the greatest rock acts ever, but are probably past their sell-by-date now and are living on past glory.

one will realise that they were very different and innoventive. "Where the Streets Have No Name" "With or Without You" and "Pride (In the Name of Love)" . They are timeless and I don't think many would raise an eyebrow if someone said that they were made, for instance, in 2004, instead of the correct years which would be 1987, 1987 and 1984.
- All produced by Eno, as opposed to the stuff that you don't like, which weren't. Eno is the genius, U2 are self important.

the sex pistols by a million miles

sid vicious could hardly play guitar and jonny rotten got the singers position because he had a t-shirt which "i hate pink floyd written on it"

and the smiths were amazing, johnny marr is brilliant and morrisseys lyrics are hard to beat

I refuse to get into a Libertines argument again. I think they were phenominal and I will leave it at that.

Over-rated, a tough one to call as its a pretty ambiguous word, but I voted for Nirvana... not necessarily saying they are the worst band on that list, but as a talent to idolisation ratio I think they just about edge it. Lynnryd Skynnrdyrdryrdyrddrydyrrdyrdyrdrydd I think were worse, but I haven't been driven insane by people telling me how awesome they are and demanding I listen to all their albums over and over because I clearly 'cant see what they were trying to do at the time'. Nirvana were a slightly above average band, treated like gods.

I would certainly vote for U2 if they were on that list though. I'm a little confused about how The Allman Brothers can be on that list but U2, Beach Boys, Beatles, Rolling Stones and Queen can't be...

I know we've done this before, but what the hell - the most overrated act EVER is Elvis Presley. Fantastically influenial for his first two or three singles, but then a string of average MOR pop records for the next twenty years. And what the hell did grls ever see in Brylcreem?

I refuse to get into a Libertines argument again. I think they were phenominal and I will leave it at that.

I'd argue with your spelling, but the sentiment is right on. Vote two for that.

I'd like to add Red Hot Chilli Peppers to the over-rated list though.

Â