• Black Sabbath
    • Oasis
    • Lynard Skynard
    • The Allman Brothers
    • Coldplay
    • Nirvana
    • The Beatles
    • Queen

with a talentless self-obessed knobhead standing in front of them, bleating crigeworthy lyrics in the most irritating way possible.

This would apply to quite a few so called brilliant bands IMO.

Yes, it would. But it's that that stops them being brilliant. Queen/Mercury being another one.

Arguably the Stones, too, but I'll forgive them due to the brilliance of their '68-'73 glory years.

on this site, the most over rated is Sigur Ros....i've just heard the new single ' gobbledegook '...the biggest load of steaming dog toffee i've ever heard, it's like a rejected Eurovivon entry....

of the list above though, i'd say Aerosmith...

all my own opinion though before the music police come a calling !!!

As Queen weren't on the list I went for Coldplay

Awful bland music .. there new single which they stole is probably their worse yet and that is a tough competition to win

Worse than that someone voted for Black Sabbath?!?!

Even if you don't like Sabbath you can't not apprechiate what they did for music. Their style still influnces a huge amount of bands today, they were pioneers.

But how many songs have stood the test of time, 1? 2? by the way I went for Nirvana.

Far more than 1 or 2. You can pick up and listen to Paranoid now and it'll still be just as relevant as it was when first released. Which I guess is why it's still consistantly ranked highly as one of the greatest metal albums of all time, and Sabbath are consistantly high in peoples top 10 metal bands. Maybe if you don't listen to metal I can see people saying Sabbath haven't stood the test of time, but if you do then you can't fail to hear Sabbath's influence in a great deal of todays bands, and I doubt you'll find a metal band anywhere that says Sabbath didn't in some way influence them.

So to say that out of all of those bands Nirvana and Black Sabbath are the most over rated is a travesty when they're up there with the likes of coldplay who had done nothing except for have a few songs that sound good on adverts. When coldplay pretty much define a genre maybe I'll take them seriously, but I doubt that's ever going to happen as they're just bland mainstream crap.

The Ramones are the single most over rated band in the history of recorded music.

Sigur Rós’ get an honourable mention for being very over rated too. But they pale into comparison of how over rated Joey, Johnny, Dee Dee and co are/were.

None of the above, they're all OK.

Hands-down winner is U2.

With Joy Division/New Order and The Smiths in close contention.

:shock:

Id expect that kind of language from a Bluenose, but for a Villa fan to have such poor taste?

Love will tear us apart

(possibly my fave guitar riff ever.)

Joy Division/New Order **** rule. :rant:

Cheers Rev - new tunes for the phone.

Black Sabbath - sorry but they are only rated by those that like metal. As for defining genres - what pretentious twaddle.

Nirvana - sorry I'm not musically minded enough to know how good they were but of that list they were the most over-rated, or did I just not get it? Sorry him? It? Him .... y'see.

U2 would win any proper poll on here I guess.

I demand to know why the Artic Monkeys are not in this poll!!!

Because Arctic Monkeys are a very good band.

Queen and U2 are hands down winners of this discussion for me.

Coldplay stealing a march at the moment but I thought their first two albums were very good.

I'd argue that Nirvana are both the best band on that list and the most over-rated.

I voted Oasis purely because they are much worse than Coldplay who I don't really like either!

I must admit I think Joy Division and New Order are pure rubbish too! Probably for much the same reason as I dislike Oasis - a distinct lack of vocal talent!

The Ramones are the single most over rated band in the history of recorded music.

Sigur Rós’ get an honourable mention for being very over rated too. But they pale into comparison of how over rated Joey, Johnny, Dee Dee and co are/were.

Luckily they are redeemed by several things. They made an album with Phil Spector. The t-shirts were quite good. But most importantly Dee Dee Ramone AKA Dee Dee King, was one of the first and most influential white rappers; releasing the classic ‘Funky Man’. More can be found

and also

I demand to know why the Artic Monkeys are not in this poll!!!

Because Arctic Monkeys are a very good band.

By the very meaning of the word 'overrated' some people have to like them!

Black Sabbath - sorry but they are only rated by those that like metal. As for defining genres - what pretentious twaddle.

Doesn't that therefore say they aren't OVERrated? If they're only rated by people within the genre they belong to then I'm struggling to see how a case can be made for them to be overrated.

They are a defining band for the genre, it's hardly pretentious, you mention metal and most people will think of Sabbath as one of the first bands that pops into their head.

Nirvana - sorry I'm not musically minded enough to know how good they were but of that list they were the most over-rated, or did I just not get it? Sorry him? It? Him .... y'see.

I'd actually say Nirvana are overrated to a certain extent. They didn't really have that much musical ability, and whilst Cobain's lyrics were at times pretty amazing, his guitar playing left a lot to be desired, all the music was pretty basic. So as far as musical ability goes they are definitely overrated.

But then, near enough everyone I know who listens to "alternative music" went through a Nirvana stage, I'd class them as a gateway band that will get you interested in looknig deeper into other genres. So as far as being a generation defining band, maybe not so overrated.

But as with a lot of these polls it's all down to how you define it, how do you actually decide if a band is overrated or not?

U2

I'm guessing they aren't on there because it would be pointless having a poll then.

Â