• The Allman Brothers
    • Coldplay
    • Nirvana
    • The Beatles
    • Queen

Manic Street Preachers

Get out!

They were gash!

They had some truely great songs that just never got the air time.

'Out of Time' 'Let Robeson Sing' and 'We're all Bourgeois Now' stand out for me.

'If you tolerate this...' was a great tune aswell.

Nirvana for me. One big hit that the average man on the street would recognise.

Not sure how Oasis got so many votes, yes, the Gallagher brothers a couple of tossers but still they've made literally dozens of great songs. Even songs like She's Electric, Morning Glory and Champagne Supernova are household classics that weren't even released as singles.

They've a back catalogue of B-sides that are better than many bands 'A' sides.

Nirvana and Pearl Jam were both massive disappointments to me. In each case I heard one song on the radio (Teen Spirit, and I forget what the PJ one was now) and loved them. Bought the albums, and discovered that in each case the single was the only decent track amid a sea of dullness. Got rid of both of them.

Oasis are a bit like The Ramones - one song played very slightly differently over and over again.

Nirvana and Pearl Jam were both massive disappointments to me. In each case I heard one song on the radio

Nirvana I just didn't see the appeal

then one day i heard the unplugged album being paid on the radio and it converted me , some real raw emotion in the vocal , not heard a singer with that raw anger since Lennon

yeah they have a few songs that i still skip but on the whole they deserve the adulation they receive

I suspect that even the very best bands only have one or two good albums in them. So almost by definition, any act that becomes mega-massive for a number of years is probably overrated.

Certainly true of the Stones, who haven't done a really good album since 1972, but still keep going. I don't blame them for doing that, but even as a big fan of their best work, I cannot imagine why anybody in their right minds would want to buy dross like "Emotional Rescue" or "Bridges to Babylon".

Nirvana and Pearl Jam were both massive disappointments to me. In each case I heard one song on the radio

Nirvana I just didn't see the appeal

then one day i heard the unplugged album being paid on the radio and it converted me , some real raw emotion in the vocal , not heard a singer with that raw anger since Lennon

yeah they have a few songs that i still skip but on the whole they deserve the adulation they receive

essentially how I see it. I dipped in and out of them at first (and i'm young(er) so i wasn't into music when they were actually recording and performing, so this was all afterwards). But once I actually bought a couple of albums, including that unplugged one, I really got into them.

Good stuff.

Manic Street Preachers

Get out!
They were gash!

They had some truely great songs that just never got the air time.

'Out of Time' 'Let Robeson Sing' and 'We're all Bourgeois Now' stand out for me.

'If you tolerate this...' was a great tune aswell.

Everything that is wrong with the Manics is summed up in this post. Their first four albums were **** great, but they should have split (or at least changed their name) after Everything Must Go because they simply weren't the same band as a three piece. It's difficult to explain because he contributed so little musically, but the Manic Street Preachers were undoubtedly Richey's band and when he disappeared they changed to the point where you can ignore everything they released after 1996.

Let Robeson Sing is a great tune, but it really is the only one that is a patch on the stuff they put out on the first four albums.

Motown Junk

You Love Us

Motorcycle Emptiness

Love's Sweet Exile

Little Baby Nothing

From Despair to Where

La Tristesse Durera (scream to a sigh)

Life Becoming a Landslide

Roses in the Hospita

Everything from The Holy Bible & Everything Must Go which are both masterpieces for very different reasons. Everything Must Go is just a perfect end of an era record, and its the best record about loss and moving on I have ever heard. I guess the key lyrics about the two eras come from the last record touched by Richey and the first record that wasnt. Probably the same message in both cases, but still:

Everything Must Go:

Freed from the memory

Escape from our history, history

And I just hope that you can forgive us

But everything must go

And if you need an explanation

Then everything must go

I look to the future it makes me cry

But it seems too real to tell you why

Freed from the century

With nothing but memory, memory

And I just hope that you can forgive us

But everything must go

The Everlasting: (track 1 on TiMTTMY for a reason)

Oh you're old I hear you say

It doesn't mean that I don't care

I don't believe in it anymore

Pathetic acts for a worthless cause

In the beginning when we were winning

When our smiles were genuine

It's clearly a message about their back catalogue and how they just cant continue doing what they did, but its really cool that they are songs for the fans, and almost break up records I guess. Postcards from a Young Man visits the same themes and is well worth a listen I think.

ufiRg.jpg

The Manics were awesome. Were awesome. They should have changed their name after Everything Must Go though.

Â