• Black Sabbath
    • Oasis
    • Lynard Skynard
    • The Allman Brothers
    • Coldplay
    • Nirvana
    • The Beatles
    • Queen

Dream Theater are pretty overrated nowadays. I think their older stuff was fantastic (pretty much everything pre-Octavarium, with the odd exception), but now they sound like a cover band of themselves. They're still top notch musicians, but it's a shame to hear how they've turned out.

So they're a bit like Covered of Course?

Re bands and drugs rather than overratednesslessness

2sao80n.jpg

hell yi

Heh, loved them.

Then I picked up instruments and went off them a bit.

You can see how JP got big after the split.

Thought the Kember side of 'Recurring' was awful. Post Spacemen he didn't get any better, though he's been a sterling champion of Delia Derbyshire.

I'm surprised Queen haven't had more votes. A couple of decent tracks, but overall I'd rather listen to my car alarm.

My dad loved Queen back in the day. He saw himself as a bit of an old school rocker, it hit him quite hard for a while when it turned out the lead singer of a big rock band could have facial hair and a leather jacket - but then possibly not be 100% hetro. Quite funny now that he was so literal.

It was '76 - '77 - '78 that sort of period when me and the old man grew apart a bit. He loved all that old school rock shit, I got into what was new (Stranglers, Jam etc..). The whole point of my stuff was to take the piss out of the old overblown stuff. He would genuinely get upset by 'scruffs that can't play instruments singing songs about rubbish'. Whereas I was amazed somebody could like distant super groups singing 15 minute noodly bollox about fairy fights.

Anyway, he's fine now, he's listening to a little bit of jazz and blues when he listens to anything - so I'm taking it that I won.

the sex pistols came along when music was up its own arse and the bands of the day were tossing 45 minute drum and guitar solos off. for instance zeppelin were doing 3 hour plus shows by then and over half of that was guitar,drum,organ solos. people got bored and the pistols came out just at the right time but what a load of shit imo, dont mind the odd song but nah they wernt for me. id rather watch page or whoever toss his guitar off for an hour.

i know the clash are completely different to the pistols and had a lot more going on musically than them but out of those punk type of bands i did not mind the clash to much but i have no albums by them and never will purely because its just not my type of thing.

I don't think many people actually rates the sex pistols music, what they did as a music movement yes, but not there actual music, which was as bad then as it is now.

Holidays in the Sun had such an effect on John Peel he didn't go on a foreign holiday for nearly 20 years iirc. NMTB is and deserves to be regarded as a good album. Cook and Jones were some of the most sought after session guys after the band broke up.

As blandy said, the Pistols have 5 or 6 absolute barns storming tunes. As bicks said NMTB is correctly highly regarded. For the time they existed, the amount of work they put out, and the impact they had, that's pretty good going in my view. 

I don't think many people actually rates the sex pistols music, what they did as a music movement yes, but not there actual music, which was as bad then as it is now.

Holidays in the Sun had such an effect on John Peel he didn't go on a foreign holiday for nearly 20 years iirc. 

Why? That's mental.

Â