Weekend Football 8/10 April

andykeenan

5 minutes ago, sne said:

What an awful game. Only watched the last 10 but seems more like luck than anything else if a player manages to control or do anything constructive with the ball.

Fitting goal there I guess.

20 mins in I said I've watched better league 1 football.

It's really poor, but it's a fitting goal.

What we need now is a Ronaldo hattrick resulting in a new 2 year bumper deal at 450k a year and everything will be ok again.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Mic09 said:

20 mins in I said I've watched better league 1 football.

It's really poor, but it's a fitting goal.

What we need now is a Ronaldo hattrick resulting in a new 2 year bumper deal at 450k a year and everything will be ok again.

I suppose if he did, he’d be behind only Salah for goals scored this season in 400 less minutes and might deserve another contract.

Don't actually think Everton have been that great but sometimes running around at 100mph  can get you goals.

Man. United easily getting past Coleman on the left but wasted countless final balls. They're just a 6/7th place team currently.

https://medium.com/@chris.summersell/are-liverpool-breaking-a-sacred-defensive-code-8c5f806a4c41

Are Liverpool breaking a sacred defensive code?

Picture the scene. Play is developing in the final third, a player receives the ball between the lines and shapes to pull the trigger from outside the box — how are you expecting your team to deal with this situation? I would venture that there would be almost universal agreement that one of your team should be making every effort to close down the ball and throw themselves in the way to block the impending strike on goal. It’s been an almost inviolable part of football for as long as I can remember, whatever your game model and defensive preferences, if an opponent is going to shoot from whatever range, you do your best to prevent it.

I have been subtly challenging this lately, asking myself whether attempting to block all shots from long range is a smart decision or not? We have learned so much in the last decade about expected goals and making better shot choices, but not so much how defences may respond to this knowledge. It stands to reason that if you are trying to create better shot locations, then being content to allow opponents to take on low value shots themselves is a logical step — never interrupt your enemy when they are making a mistake, in essence.

I guess, however, my coaching instincts cut in, with the thought of weaning myself and the players I coach away from blocking long shots not sitting particularly right. ‘Get out to them and get in the way’ is simply an unchallengeable part of the code. It is the kind of thing that will get you failed on a coaching qualification if you dared to be different.

It was then watching Liverpool play Inter Milan in the Champions League that something caught my attention. Like the scene described earlier, Lautaro Martinez is found between the lines facing forward allowing the ball to run across his body before cutting across the ball as it arrows past Alisson into the top corner. A wonderful strike for sure, but once my enjoyment of the goal itself wore off I became puzzled by Virgil Van Dijk’s defensive choice in this situation. Rather than step out and engage Lautaro once he receives the ball and shapes to shoot, VVD stands off him and makes very little attempt to block the ball.

This seems apt again looking at that Gordon goal, I don't know the stats either but would guess a lot of the goals that we have conceded from outside the box this season come from deflections or Martinez being left unsighted. Found it interesting anyway.

6 minutes ago, VillaParkAvenue said:

The home crowd plays a huge part, really carrying the team. If United score and the crowd goes quiet, Everton are in big trouble.

Yes I did sat  before if they are going to stay up its at home where they need to accumlate enough points. Away they are shocking!

4 minutes ago, useless said:

Everton haven't been very good themselves, as bad as Man United have been they've probably been the better side.

Everton have been miles better than they were against Burnley where they got a lot of luck. United on the other hand look like garbage. 

7 minutes ago, Kuwabatake Sanjuro said:

https://medium.com/@chris.summersell/are-liverpool-breaking-a-sacred-defensive-code-8c5f806a4c41

This seems apt again looking at that Gordon goal, I don't know the stats either but would guess a lot of the goals that we have conceded from outside the box this season come from deflections or Martinez being left unsighted. Found it interesting anyway.

I know exactly what he means, I'm sure I even commented on it in here, VVD does nothing to prevent the shot, he's a statue 

• Like 1

Everton still far from safe even if they win today, they will be just one point above the drop zone if Burnley beat Norwich tomorrow, Watford can close the gap to three points as well if they can beat Leeds later today. Everton haven't even been that good today, it's more about how bad Man Utd have been.

• Like 2

Â