The rising cost of living

StefanAVFC

Roughly, a 6% pay rise plus a slightly better bonus than last year. I was pleasantly surprised. 

35 minutes ago, Lichfield Dean said:

Zero %. Like last year.

What do you do? Unless it's very niche or your circumstances don't allow it, it's probably time to get out of there

I have noticed fuel costs are still taking the piss.  The corperates, BP, Shell, Esso, are continuing to rip us a new one. I can get fuel in Wolverhampton for £1.48 a litre from the supermarkets (10p more I might add from a couple of weeks ago, which has sneaked under the media radar) and I think it's Essar. Standard, driving around is £1.55 ish. Shell and Esso by me £1.61 and £1.63. I'm sure they didn't used to be this far out before the £2 a litre days, used to be a couple of pence here and there, now its more than 10p difference, talk about taking advantage of the consumer. It will no doubt be record profits yet again next quarter.

Our union is asking for the full 9.8% increase of the minimum wage, so far been offered 4% which is being balloted on and probably going to be 99.9% rejected (there's always one, isn't there?).  No doubt it'll drag on til the summer and easyjet will cave in to stop a strike and give us pretty much what we want.  Hopefully get full sick pay from now on too.

Posted (edited)
22 hours ago, ender4 said:

Anyone getting a decent pay-rise this year?

Minimum wage going up by 9% for most people.  

We got 4.1%

Not great, not terrible

I was told I'd get more because of a promotion. Didn't happen. Thanks

Edited by Stevo985

15 hours ago, sharkyvilla said:

Our union is asking for the full 9.8% increase of the minimum wage, so far been offered 4% which is being balloted on and probably going to be 99.9% rejected (there's always one, isn't there?).  No doubt it'll drag on til the summer and easyjet will cave in to stop a strike and give us pretty much what we want.  Hopefully get full sick pay from now on too.

No way are Easyjet going to give 9.8% but i guess its a bargaining tool.  Would most people be happy if they settled at 5-6%?

19 hours ago, ender4 said:

No way are Easyjet going to give 9.8% but i guess its a bargaining tool.  Would most people be happy if they settled at 5-6%?

The thing is last year we got 15% plus skill pay, which for me made it 20% backdated to January, because negotiations dragged on until the summer holidays and we voted to strike.  It set a precedent, we're a bit further ahead in negotiations but not much, so I could see the same happening again.  Technically I work for DHL who provide ground crew for Easyjet, neither company is short of money at the moment so it wouldn't surprise me if we got 8 or 9%.

On 13/03/2024 at 15:35, ender4 said:

Anyone getting a decent pay-rise this year?

Minimum wage going up by 9% for most people.  

ours was calendar year; I got around 9%. But corporate life over here is a proper bubble.

On 11/03/2024 at 07:25, sidcow said:

The motor book losses have been going on for over a year ago now so they're probably starting to get their loss ratio's back in order again. Increases ease, eventually competition starts driving prices back down till they all start making losses and the cycle begins again. 

6 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

Somehow cheaper :) 

giphy.gif

Currently on the British Gas Price Promise Tariff for dual energy costs but looks like there is a cheaper one now on there* called the Fixed Tariff 12m which (for me anyway) would be almost a £50 annual saving to change.

Might be of use to others to at least look into if they're with British Gas.

*This may have been on there for ages, it may be a rubbish deal and I may be talking crap.

42 minutes ago, Brumstopdogs said:

Currently on the British Gas Price Promise Tariff for dual energy costs but looks like there is a cheaper one now on there* called the Fixed Tariff 12m which (for me anyway) would be almost a £50 annual saving to change.

Might be of use to others to at least look into if they're with British Gas.

*This may have been on there for ages, it may be a rubbish deal and I may be talking crap.

I saw that and wondered if the price promise price has been updated yet? It’s supposed to come down by an amount I don’t know on a date I don’t know isn’t it? 

2 minutes ago, Genie said:

I saw that and wondered if the price promise price has been updated yet? It’s supposed to come down by an amount I don’t know on a date I don’t know isn’t it? 

It'll come down in April to be "at least" £1 below the updated price cap.

Just now, Davkaus said:

It'll come down in April to be "at least" £1 below the updated price cap.

Is it £1 a month? a year? I remember wonder that at the time. 
The other one might be the better option if it’s £50 a year less then (£42.50 a year cheaper for me).

Â