The rising cost of living

StefanAVFC

26 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

Just had water bill for upcoming year through. Pretty much a 10%increase to £626 a year. Robbing bastards.

Yet on the big estate I live on there are hundreds of houses paying nothing for more than 2 years because their accounts haven’t been set up yet.

Posted (edited)
28 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

Just had water bill for upcoming year through. Pretty much a 10%increase to £626 a year. Robbing bastards.

Someone has to pay their bonuses whilst new infrastructure is built to process our shit. 

Edited by sidcow
  • Like 1

On 06/03/2024 at 10:07, Davkaus said:

Mine's gone from £50-60 from 3-7 years ago up to £150...

I was paying £90 per month for gas/electric before the massive hike and now it's £220.

40 minutes ago, Genie said:

Yet on the big estate I live on there are hundreds of houses paying nothing for more than 2 years because their accounts haven’t been set up yet.

I feel a bit better now knowing that my increased bill may be subsidising those paying f all. Cheers 👍 😀

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

I feel a bit better now knowing that my increased bill may be subsidising those paying f all. Cheers 👍 😀

Sorry mate.

In fairness to these freeloaders, many of them are grumpy because they want the account in place (nervous they will get a big bill backdated). It’s a common gripe on the neighbourhood fb page that after many months South Staffs Water are still saying “don’t worry about it, we’ll start charging you later”.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, markavfc40 said:

I've been overpaying this year (because of their f*** up), I think I'll continue to do so this month and report next month

• Like 1

9 hours ago, lapal_fan said:

As an energy manager, this annoys me.

TKoly6f.gif

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Noticed I had received an email for my car insurance renewal quote from my current provider....

Full of trepidation as I opened it and scrolled down... only £47 more than last year. Thats an ok starting point. Was expecting much more!

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Xela said:

Noticed I had received an email for my car insurance renewal quote from my current provider....

Full of trepidation as I opened it and scrolled down... only £47 more than last year. Thats an ok starting point. Was expecting much more!

The motor book losses have been going on for over a year ago now so they're probably starting to get their loss ratio's back in order again. Increases ease, eventually competition starts driving prices back down till they all start making losses and the cycle begins again. 

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, ender4 said:

Anyone getting a decent pay-rise this year?

Minimum wage going up by 9% for most people.  

I feel sorry for the people on £24k a year grafting there knackers off, care workers, factory labourers, building labourers, warehouse staff. Could be stacking shelves in tesco express or collecting glasses in the local pub for the same money.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, ender4 said:

Minimum wage going up by 9% for most people.  

We get 3% plus £2.3k now, and another 3.5% in November and another £1,100 in May next year (on top of usual bonus).

A bit random and overly complicated but it is what it is. We got 11% at the end of 2022 when inflation was raging.

Minumum wage really is crazy now. So many people doing complicated and important jobs on barely anything above a factory order picker.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Genie said:

Minumum wage really is crazy now. So many people doing complicated and important jobs on barely anything above a factory order picker.

Yes, minimum wage still needs to go higher as it's expensive to live.

But the jobs that were paying £22-30k haven't been increasing at the same rate as minimum wage so more and more jobs are falling into minimum wage. Eventually, all jobs will be minimum wage lol. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ender4 said:

I think i'm getting 5.8% which i negotiated in October 2023 and my boss (owner of the company) said he'd do from April 2024. But i have nothing in writing so i'm hoping he honours it!

Posted (edited)
On 07/03/2024 at 13:17, markavfc40 said:

Comes to something when we are charged that much for something that falls from the sky for free. Just needs to convince the Mrs a composting toilet is the way to go and I can tell em to do one......gonna take some time 

Edited by tinker

We're getting 5% across the board.

My manager put me forward for an additional raise for exceptional performance, then a few weeks later came back to sheepishly tell me I was one of only a handful that'd been approved and they were giving me 5.6%. Cheers lads. 

1 minute ago, Davkaus said:

We're getting 5% across the board.

My manager put me forward for an additional raise for exceptional performance, then a few weeks later came back to sheepishly tell me I was one of only a handful that'd been approved and they were giving me 5.6%. Cheers lads. 

I told a lie earlier, I am actually getting 3.1% this month, an increase from the standard 3% for my high performance rating :lol: 

3 hours ago, foreveryoung said:

I feel sorry for the people on £24k a year grafting there knackers off, care workers, factory labourers, building labourers, warehouse staff. Could be stacking shelves in tesco express or collecting glasses in the local pub for the same money.

Yeah absolutely. What was traditionally the 'middle income' jobs, are now barely above minimum wage. 

• Like 1

Â