Ratings & Reactions: Villa v Arsenal

limpid

Match Polls  

150 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your Man of the Match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 23/03/22 at 00:00

2 hours ago, The_Steve said:

Different game if we had the penalty.

We won't win if we don't get shots on target though.

Ings did more than Ollie to threaten and that says so much

What penalty, must have missed this in all the excitement 

38 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Screenshot 2022-03-19 at 16.34.03.png

How do you get booked for that?

Because the player in the Arsenal shirt is a media and FA darling. It was an embarrassing dive from a player who consistently cheats and gets away with it. 

13 minutes ago, El Segundo said:

Completely Meh! today.  Didn't think Arsenal were all that but were better than us which is all they needed to be.  Our build up play is too slow and predictable.

Two number 10s isn't going to work.   Looked much better after the subs. 

Ollie's touch and ball retention are terrible., another awful performance today, though admittedly he didn't get much service. 

This will be an unpopular opinion but I think Martiinez has let a few in that really top keepers would save - today was one of them.   

Not sure what Sanson has to do to get a start.

I agree about Martinez which feels wrong

• Like 1

Just now, Herman22 said:

Because the player in the Arsenal shirt is a media and FA darling. It was an embarrassing dive from a player who consistently cheats and gets away with it. 

Certainly didn't think it was a foul at the time and after watching several repeats its still not.

• Like 1

It’s annoying that we keep losing the games that we are expected to lose again. We had a really good spell of thinking we could actually get something from these sorts of fixtures but now we have reverted back to type. Really frustrating.  

Edited by Tayls

11 minutes ago, VillaParkAvenue said:

Coutinho attracting other players is just like Gerrard attracting players - it will only work as long as Villa perform really well.

If Villa are crap for the rest of the season, no players will want to come for the argument: ”but that crap side is where Coutinho and Gerrard are!”

I don't think we will be crap. We're 9th and will probably finish around that position. Its a good base to build on IMO.

We're just massively up and down a the minute - not unexpected for a mid table team 

Well that was disappointing!

• Disappointing I could not get to the match today (Quarantine 🙁)
  • Disappointing performance
  • Disappointing result
  • Disappointing that Buendia & Coutinho can't seem to play in the same side
  • Disappointing that changes were not more timely!
  • Disappointing Ramsey was not rested earlier.
  • Disappointing Sanson can't get a place in the the team 
  • Disappointing that referees seem to hold Villa players to different standards for awarding yellow cards.
  • BT Sport Arsenal love-in was also very disappointing.

So there it is, very disappointed. One of the many feelings on the Villa roller coaster.

Onwards!

Edited by Lochheads twin
added Sanson
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Lochheads twin said:

Well that was disappointing!

• Disappointing I could not get to the match today (Quarantine 🙁)
  • Disappointing performance
  • Disappointing result
  • Disappointing that Buendia & Coutinho can't seem to play in the same side
  • Disappointing that changes were not more timely!
  • Disappointing Ramsey was not rested earlier.
  • Disappointing that referees seem to hold Villa players to different standards for awarding yellow cards.
  • BT Sport Arsenal love-in was also very disappointing.

So there it is, very disappointed. One of the many feelings on the Villa roller coaster.

Onwards!

Yeah, very biased.

Case in point: Nketiah had a touch of the ball edge of the box and Konsa intercepts the ball, commentator says that was unfortunate for Nketiah and NOT a good interception from Konsa.

Villa have to put up with bias from the media, commentators and referees. Week In, Week Out. It's disgraceful.

1 hour ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

Toothless display, Arsenal were better than us. Obviously.

In a match like this you are hoping the so-called better players perform, unfortunately they didn't.

Buendia, Coutinho all ineffective.

McGinn anonymous, Ramsey also had a bad day.

Young and Cash were our best performers.

Referee awful as usual which doesn't help.

Villa allowed them to get a good start by being passive and flat, why is this a consistent trait with Villa? It happened alot under Smith and it happens again with Gerrard.

I'm blaming the players here, at home they often look too reserved, tentative even scared on the ball. If we ever have aspirations of top eight it has to change.

Today was worrying. Exaggerated by the fact I really dislike, Arteta, Smith-Rowe and Arsenal.

I am still behind Gerrard, but i was surprised with the lack of fight in the team.....I thought we would at least have some of that....we just can't beat the press, and when we are off the ball we semi press back.

Ollie, simply doesn't work his defender, its ok running around and claiming work.....but he has to make his defender know he's been in a game.....I thought he was woeful.

considering they had a hard game in mid week, that was a turgid display.

I get that teams are better than us, but their centre backs must have thought it was training day.......also Partey controlled the midfield, like Rice did the week before.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, VillaFaninLondon said:

Yes it will, he’s lost as many as he’s won in the league and it’s not acceptable. You can shrug off the defeats to crap teams like Watford and Brentford if he beats the better teams, but he doesn’t. Another loss today against a team above us, typical Gerrard.

..... so you really did expect Gerrard to come in mid-season and radically turn this team into a top four side ? Really ?

Last I looked, we were top ten and I'm not sure Deano would have got close to top ten. Villa is a long term project and the true Gerrard era starts next season and then you can judge if you wish.

6 minutes ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

Yeah, very biased.

Case in point: Nketiah had a touch of the ball edge of the box and Konsa intercepts the ball, commentator says that was unfortunate for Nketiah and NOT a good interception from Konsa.

Villa have to put up with bias from the media, commentators and referees. Week In, Week Out. It's disgraceful.

We do.....but we are beginning to sound like whining girls.

This team still has a soft under belly and it hasn't gone away.....we have to be stronger in challenges and stronger staying on the ball.

right now we look like a team feeling sorry for itself.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

He's been the best of our midfield three, consistently, for a month or more - he's the one we need to try very hard to hold onto.

I think I'm with TheAuthority on this one - it might be time to move on from McGinn and Watkins.

I’ve said this so many time. I think DL would be great in one of the SJM/ JJ positions. But for me he’s completely ineffective at DM. He doesn’t provide any protection to the defence, he doesn’t break up play, he’s not bad on the ball and does drop to take up possession. I’d still break the bank to get a top class DM. But that doesn’t mean I’d be happy to see DL go. 

• Like 1

That was one of the worst displays from a centre forward, I have seen for some time.

The lack of physical challenge, is breath taking.

My god, their centre backs must have thought they was playing against our academy......That was a faint -hearted effort, if ever I saw one.

I can put up with a striker not scoring, to a point........but that offering, NO.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

7 minutes ago, Herman22 said:

I’ve said this so many time. I think DL would be great in one of the SJM/ JJ positions. But for me he’s completely ineffective at DM. He doesn’t provide any protection to the defence, he doesn’t break up play, he’s not bad on the ball and does drop to take up possession. I’d still break the bank to get a top class DM. But that doesn’t mean I’d be happy to see DL go. 

He doesn't need to go......he needs to be deployed elsewhere.

Partey Bossed that midfield today.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, TRO said:

That was one of the worst displays from a centre forward, I have seen for some time.

The lack of physical challenge, is breath taking.

My god, their centre backs must have thought they was playing against our academy......That was a faint -hearted effort, if ever I saw one.

I can put up with a striker not scoring........but that offering, NO.

What is wrong with him? I get the not creating enough for him but there is so much more wrong with his game that can’t be explained.  We know he can do so much more but 90% of this season he’s looked poor.  Somebody said to me today at the ground that it’s strange he played so well without crowds at the top level but so poor with crowds, I’d never thought of that. It can’t be the reason surely.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ROTTERDAM1982 said:

Couthino and Buendia could play together if you had Rice/Soucek, Thomas/Xhaka behind them

That situation is not going away, until we make it go away, in the summer.

We can keep chopping and changing formations, but it won't fix the hole that is there.

We simply haven't got the personnel to create a balanced midfield.....so we keep throwing varied formations at it.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Herman22 said:

I knew at the time it was utter horseshit.

That is definitely  in the top 10 of the most stupid bookings I have ever seen at Villa Park.

• Like 1

Â