Ratings & Reactions: Villa v Watford

limpid

Match Polls  

191 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your Man of the Match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 22/02/22 at 23:59

2 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

Not a single person in that crowd wants to see a 2 of Ings and Watkins ever again. I'm surprised he didn't throw Hogan and Rushian Hepburn Murphy on too.. 

True, Sanson for Luiz would have been the obvious choice. Horrible sub it was anyway, surrendering midfield completely and asking to be cut open.

3 minutes ago, VillaParkAvenue said:

True, Sanson for Luiz would have been the obvious choice. Horrible sub it was anyway, surrendering midfield completely and asking to be cut open.

Yeah the whole Sanson situation is quite bizarre.

Bigged him up early days, got a couple chances and looked fine, proceeds to be looked over for an 18 year old, and almost anyone else on the bench.

Especially with him being the most senior of the midfielders on the bench. ( Unless you count Ash as a midfielder )

15 hours ago, His Name Is Death said:

I am not giving up on Villa yet (more fool me), and it would be silly to say that Sawiris and Edens haven't turned our fortunes around, but, if even the richest Arab billionaire and a stonkingly rich American can't bring us silverware or European qualification in the next five years, then, yes, what's the point? Especially with the Saudi Arabians now in the mix.

Again, Ellis agreeing to sell the club was our one (and will possibly be our only) moment to break in to the Champions League places at just the right time, pre-FFP, and we **** it up.

We won't win anything in my lifetime and I'm not 40 yet. Newcastle overtake us in the summer so that's one more. You reach the point and ask, if there is no prospect of any happiness at some point in the future, why?

17 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

Things can turn around quickly. IF we win at Brighton we're 3 points behind them with a game in hand. Then home to Southampton is a game that puts us into the top half if we win. 

All isn't lost. 

Then Leeds. The next 3 games are season defining, IMO. Win a couple of them and the table looks a lot nicer and hopefully gives the team a bit of confidence. Play like we did against Newcastle and Watford, and we'll probably be in 16th, going in to this run of games: West Ham, Arsenal, Wolves, Tottenham, Liverpool, Leicester.

6 points minimum from our next 3, or I think we're looking over our shoulder wondering where the next win is coming from to keep us up. 

14 minutes ago, Pissflaps said:

We won't win anything in my lifetime and I'm not 40 yet. Newcastle overtake us in the summer so that's one more. You reach the point and ask, if there is no prospect of any happiness at some point in the future, why?

When I first went to the Villa with my old chap we were in the old third division standing on a bank where the north stand is now, we were playing the likes Hudersfield and Preston North end. me and the old man (Holte ender in the sky) traveled home and away. mates at school laughed at me in my Villa shirt.

About 20 years later we won the European cup. There is always hope in the future. But my god its hard work being a Villa fan, VTID

5 hours ago, Farlz said:

The substitution decisions against Watford were genuinely some of the worst I've ever seen. Like it was batshit crazy, no logic whatsoever. 

Taking off our deepest midfielder in Luiz for **** Ollie Watkins to then roll a midfield 3 of Ramsey - McGinn - Buendia or whatever it was. I've seen plenty of bad decisions but that's easily right up there with the worst, Gerrard completely lost his mind in that moment. 

Nailed it. 

51 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

Things can turn around quickly. IF we win at Brighton we're 3 points behind them with a game in hand. Then home to Southampton is a game that puts us into the top half if we win. 

All isn't lost. 

Not a chance in hell were beating either of those sides.

Can't even score against Newcastle or Watford.

The fans know a chancer when they see one after Sherwood and won't put up with another for very long.

Edited by AshVilla

12 hours ago, smg said:

My point is we can’t just keep on ripping it up and start again. We have to have patience and give the management team time to build something. That means shitty runs like now but with time things will develop. The problem is that too many fans want instant success so they can give it to their non Villa mates at work , school etc

I know what you mean, but the club hasn't been run on that basis......In the past, we have not bought bad players, but the wrong players for the balance of the squad, subsequently, so many have no worked out, sure injuries have a claim on that too.

We need to trade out of the surplus players and get in players who will help us with this :

• We can't stop the opposition playing
  • and we can't stop them from stopping us from playing.
  • We are quite a small side and in physical encounters we struggle, we have just added 2 more in the Jan Window.

I am not saying the above is all thats wrong, just picking out one major issue.

We need to look strategically at the balance of this squad and act in the Summer.....what we need won't cost fortunes.....We are already, being out done, by opposition players, who are dwarfed in financial terms( transfer fee's), by what we are spending.

We have enough creative players, we just need to have a platform to provide them from.

A front 3 of Coutinho, Ings & Buendia, should be a concern for most teams in this league....the problems lie further back.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Herman22 said:

I still can’t quite work out the Young substitution, I don’t think Cash was injured? 
What did SG think Young was going to give us besides a slower full back that’s poorer in the air! I know Cash’s final ball is poor at times but I can’t quite grasp replacing him with Young! 

He took cash off because he was playing wing forward and young is better there.  Except he was not and then couldn't defend a cross

Â