Ratings & Reactions: Villa v Watford

limpid

Match Polls  

191 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your Man of the Match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 22/02/22 at 23:59

3 hours ago, NurembergVillan said:

Add this one to the list of people who would say Villa are their favourite opponent -

image.png

"Easy to play against"...........is us.

......confirmed.

41 minutes ago, TRO said:

its like putting new shock absorbers on a car, when its the springs that have gone.

Coutinho and Digne might be fine technical footballers.....but it wasn't our priority......thats how you do it......we didn't fix, what needs fixing.

Yeah it’s a good point 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, VillaParkAvenue said:

That defensive midfielder, would he make us create more qualified chances? That’s where the major problem has been today and against Newcastle.

Its like covid.....it starts with a defensive midfielder....unchecked..........now its everywhere.

Thats what happens, when Issues are not dealt with.

SG is only partly to blame, this is on the club, its been an issue, for too long.

The last real Authority, we had in midfield of any quality was Gareth Barry.....why do we think we are so unique, we didn't see it necessary at any stage since, to replace him?.....when nearly every other club see's it as a priority role.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, VillaParkAvenue said:

Fine with me, but don’t think he was the main reason why we only had one shot on target today and one against Newcastle. The defensive mid debate is one thing, Villa being totally unable to create chances is another.

but the midfield debate has gone on for yonks.....its has now affected the rest of the team.

The rest iof the team is now as bad as the midfield.....thats what happens when things don't get fixed.....its like a line of domino's.

christ know what we do now.

18 minutes ago, TRO said:

so what is this magical system, that will transform our woes?....That football people like SG. mike Beale and Gary McAllister are all missing.

One where our defenders aren't wing forwards leaving our midfielders playing full backs.  If our full backs were fullbacks, our midfielders could be midfielders meaning our midfield wouldn't get overrun. But yes, point taken that I'm not the expert on Millions a year to lose against Watford again.

2 hours ago, Herman22 said:

I still can’t quite work out the Young substitution, I don’t think Cash was injured? 
What did SG think Young was going to give us besides a slower full back that’s poorer in the air! I know Cash’s final ball is poor at times but I can’t quite grasp replacing him with Young! 

he'd lost his head. got blown up for a foul that definitely wasn't. mcginn was calling him back after that and cash ignored him for ages before finally getting back. 2 mins later he lashed out and got booked. he was a walking red card and was right to be hooked off

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, nick76 said:

Just got home from the game!  

I have to say, that game broke me today.  

I need a few days off, I’ll read a few comments and maybe some replies but I’m down this evening! Just peeved off to the max.

Nick.....I was shocked once again, how journeymen seem to find it so easy to close us down and make it so difficult for us to make any passages of play.....In contrast, we give them space to play in, or arrive so late, that it wasn't worth trying....so slow to the ball.

at 0-0, I would have took it....I predicted the scoreline at half time,  could see it coming......absolutely shabby.

This team of ours only want to play football....they don't want to be bothered with stopping opponents.....The paradox is, because we are all so nice, the opposition don't let us play....so its catch 22

All the teams at the bottom are scrapping and we don't want to be involve with that, so we struggle against their style.....as soon as we come across a decent side who want to play like us, we are ok.....now that is a generalisation.

The Squad is not assembled for change, they are all very similar, in attitude and style.....so best of luck to SG if he thinks he can impliment changes...He might change faces, but he won't change the team IMO.

I think he has a real task on his hands, until the Summer.

I would rip it up and start again.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, BleedClaretAndBlue said:

Can we just go back to a flat back 4? Most teams that play with wingbacks do it in a back 5, we just expect midfielders to cover and in doing so, make them less effective as midfielders. 

Luiz for Watkins was strange to say the least, not a fan of the subs today. Things are never too far from a crisis at this club. The results are alarming. With all the money spent we are looking like Everton mk.2 right now

We haven't got the players in our team to compensate play attacking wing backs...its a dangerous game under the circumstances for me.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, sparrow1988 said:

In fairness to old clitoris face, he knows how to manage a lower to mid table PL side. 

He absolutely does, yes, but in fairness there was nothing we couldn't have predicted in their pack the box, force us down the flanks and hope to snatch one on the counter tactics either. He may be a wily old dog, but he didn't beat us with tactical trickery. 

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, smg said:

Not disagreeing but how many times can we rip it up and start again ? At some point we have to accept that being a big name from the past with rich owners means bugger all. To get to where we all want to be takes time, especially where we are starting from. We as a fan base have to accept this and give whoever is in charge and the players he is working with and developing the time that is needed. Sadly I don’t think that is likely to happen.

Until we get it right, and its not right.

I could get writers cramp, writing what was wrong today.

1 minute ago, Genie said:

I can’t quite understand how we can have Ings, Watkins, Coutinho, Buendia, Bailey and not create anything clear cut.

because opposition players find it so easy to stop them....our players ponder, dither and show hesitancy, that much we get challenged on the ball....The off the ball positioning doesn't help either, in short, we are predictable in our play.

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, Adman said:

One where our defenders aren't wing forwards leaving our midfielders playing full backs.  If our full backs were fullbacks, our midfielders could be midfielders meaning our midfield wouldn't get overrun. But yes, point taken that I'm not the expert on Millions a year to lose against Watford again.

I take your point and its a valid one....but, when we was playing with 2 full backs and a back 4.......The midfield problem was still there.

We have changed systems umpteen times under 2 managers and we still have similar issues.

The problems now have just spread to about every department in the team....so where we go from here, is anyones guess.

pick the team using bingo balls.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, TRO said:

Until we get it right, and its not right.

I could get writers cramp, writing what was wrong today.

That’s the easy bit though isn’t it ? Putting it right is the issue, yes the usual crowd doubted Gerrard before he was appointed, however I would be interested to know who you think is the manager to take us to the level that we all desire, given that for two parts of the season he is stuck with a set group of players, most of which are currently deemed to be shit.

• Confused 1

Â