Ratings & Reactions: Villa v Watford

limpid

Match Polls  

191 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your Man of the Match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 22/02/22 at 23:59

Martinez - good

cash/mings/chambers - average

digne - poor

luiz - average

mcginn / ramsey - very bad

coitunho/ buendia - poor

ings - average

Watkins - terrible

young - terrible

Gerrard - I was shocked to see the starting lineup and system was pretty much the same as last week and the substitutions were terrible. Very poor. 
Well be fortunate to win another game playing like this I don’t mean to be so gloomy. 

5 minutes ago, leighavfc said:

Gerrard barely gave any instructions to the players from after the goal until the end. Just sat in the dugout... allegedly 100k a week? That's bad from any manager not to even give any guidance or instructions out... yes the players are to blame too but if the manager is not leading or showing how then what are we paying him for? 

Gerrard is used to winning games as manager due to lack of competition in Scotland. While he still played he was also in a relatively successful team. Maybe he can’t handle it when things repeatedly go against him.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Harry said:

Desperation???

Maybe but first sub at 58 mins but he had Bailey or Chuck as options without changing the system/style.  Or bring on Sanson on and adjust midfield.  Whatever, I didn’t expect Ollie to come on to play with Ings.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Maybe but first sub at 58 mins but he had Bailey or Chuck as options without changing the system/style.  Or bring on Sanson on and adjust midfield.  Whatever, I didn’t expect Ollie to come on to play with Ings.

Exactly it wasn’t like the game was getting away from us, it could have easily been a uninspiring 1-0 victory had we kept our shape.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Herman22 said:

I still can’t quite work out the Young substitution, I don’t think Cash was injured? 
What did SG think Young was going to give us besides a slower full back that’s poorer in the air! I know Cash’s final ball is poor at times but I can’t quite grasp replacing him with Young! 

Unless he thought Cash had lost his head a little. He got a mindless booking and was clearly wound up with the ref. Agree with you though, Young is no good for what was required.

9 minutes ago, VillaParkAvenue said:

Gerrard is used to winning games as manager due to lack of competition in Scotland. While he still played he was also in a relatively successful team. Maybe he can’t handle it when things repeatedly go against him.

That struck me too today. Does throwing forwards on in Scotland for Rangers typically get you a goal. It probably does. Might not work in the english premier league so easy.

Can we just go back to a flat back 4? Most teams that play with wingbacks do it in a back 5, we just expect midfielders to cover and in doing so, make them less effective as midfielders. 

Luiz for Watkins was strange to say the least, not a fan of the subs today. Things are never too far from a crisis at this club. The results are alarming. With all the money spent we are looking like Everton mk.2 right now

• Like 1

I know it is only one game you shouldn't lurch from one reaction to another but bloody hell that was awful. Lambertesque. As far as I can remember Villa never seen to know what to do when we have a lot of the ball.

Lets be clear Watford are awful and will get relegated on a championship budget. They have taken 6 points from us this season. That is not good enough.

I have no idea what Gerrard is doing. The football is getting  worse week by week and we don't look like scoring even though we started Coutinhio, Buendia and Ings today. The subs made no sense yet again.  He has been trained well in speaking to the media but does he actually have any ideas? Incredbily narrow and our full backs can't play the way he wants. Change the system to suit the players.

I have a bit of argument coming out of the game with a villa fan today, as I felt January we should have brought in a decent DM and  Coutinho was not really required- even though he is a clearly a brilliantly talented player.  They disagreed on that point. But we have clearly need someone in the middle to tackle and pass the ball. It is not that difficult. Luiz and Mcginn poor again today. 

A dull,cold, wet day in which we have shown that we are going nowhere.  I can't be bothered to work it out but I suspect our wins total out of the last 100 premier league home games in which we could watch it, must be abysmal. In all honesty I would prefer the championship as least we usually won most games. 4 home wins out of 11? Not good enough.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, VillaParkAvenue said:

I just had this vision. We are shit for one or two more games and fans begin to turn on Gerrard. Purslow decides it’s time to calm the masses and address supporters on Villa TV.

”Dear villans. I firmly believe Steven Gerrard is the man to take us into the future” etc

"Continuous improvement"

Blah, blah. Renew your season tickets for more pain.

2 hours ago, AVTuco said:

Poor subs. We did quite well until then. 

To me, our players showed passion and wanted to win, but it just didn't happen.

System may be at fault, I don't know... but our players are not as good as we think either. Not sure who won the Grealish trade.

Jack and his agent.

1 hour ago, Marka Ragnos said:

My dear old dad took me to my one and (so far) only match at Villa Park in 1974. My first experience of football. Who would have guessed that I was being set up for a life of perennial disappointment punctuated by a few moments of blinding glory? 

Oh, we lost that one, too. Thanks, Dad. 

You wouldn’t change it for anything I reckon. I certainly wouldn’t

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

"Continuous improvement"

Blah, blah. Renew your season tickets for more pain.

With pleasure I certainly will. I think he will get it right eventually. Today was hard to take as was Newcastle as was Leeds but the bloke is a winner and he has raised a profile considerably since he arrived. Tag this post and look at it at this time next year

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Follyfoot said:

With pleasure I certainly will. I think he will get it right eventually. Today was hard to take as was Newcastle as was Leeds but the bloke is a winner and he has raised a profile considerably since he arrived. Tag this post and look at it at this time next year

That's a bold statement.

I'd rather have someone who can find a system that works for a bunch of expensively assembled players than being seen as a 'winner'

Â