Summer Transfer Window 2022

Loxstock92

1 hour ago, KH** said:

Looks like he’s off to Milan for just €5m 

1 hour ago, KH** said:

Looks like he’s off to Milan for just €5m 

:lol:

On 25/08/2022 at 12:14, Tomaszk said:

Correct. Thiaw destined for a Brentford or Brighton... or Newcastle.

Or Milan. Or Atalanta.

Basically I should have said anyone who scouts players well.

Edited by Tomaszk

Bearing in mind that we realistically need to sign a CB, and if the club thinks the midfield is good enough they're absolutely mental, and there's probably an argument we need another good forward, we need to be very, very busy over the next few days.

What will actually happen is we'll sign a clogger CB to fill a shirt and that'll be it. And it's gonna be a long old season...

• Like 1

Good read up on Kouadio Kone, though the highlighted part is worrying as we need someone who can thread the ball through to the attack. 

However, Koné does not look to play progressive passes which can hinder him during the attacking phase of play. He mostly looks for a lateral or backward pass, unwilling to commit to a through ball or progressive pass to the forward line. 

His passing, though, is extremely accurate, the Frenchman has averaged 88% pass accuracy during the 2021/22 season. He is able to combine well with teammates, due to his passing ability and his ease when on the ball.

This means there is the possibility for quick one-twos to be played which is a great option for his team to play through the lines and bypass the opposition press. 

https://breakingthelines.com/player-analysis/kouadio-kone-a-diamond-in-the-rough/

• Like 1

I still think that we will sign a 'big money' CM and a temporary CB in the next few days. However, the enthusiasm that I have had through this transfer window has been steadily drained by my concern that our Head Coach/Manager,  Sports Director and scouts may not be singing from the same hymn sheet.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Chicken Field said:

Right now, we need to replace Carlos, as he'll be our for a long time.

I have no idea what our wages are relative to other teams, I'd be surprised if there are many teams outside the top 6 who spend more than us (I found one random list, where we are 8th, surrounded by two clubs that are skint). Doesn't matter though, as our wages spent should be relative to our own income, not what others spend, which most likely isn't the best of the rest yet, I am certainly unaware of any lucrative commercial income or anything other  massive incomes we currently have.

The amount of money we have spent since promotion has to be in the top 3 in the premier league I'd guess. All well looking at how much we have spent this summer, sadly in the real world, money spent in the past counts too.

As pointed out in the FFP thread we aren’t anywhere near FFP thresholds or in danger of breaking the wage limits coming into play for FFP soon.

5 minutes ago, villabromsgrove said:

I still think that we will sign a 'big money' CM and a temporary CB in the next few days. However, the enthusiasm that I have had through this transfer window has been steadily drained by my concern that our Head Coach/Manager,  Sports Director and scouts may not be singing from the same hymn sheet.

It’s all been downhill for the last 12 months 

1 hour ago, Chicken Field said:

I feel like dawson is a fine short term replacement til carlos is back. We were never gonna sign another 30m defender this window. Dawson-Mings should be solid enough

I agree. I imagine his name is being treated with derision but he's been an amazing signing for West Ham, pretty much every present over last few seasons with them finishing 6th and 7th and was good for them in europa league against some really good strikers in that competition.

He also chips in with 4-5 goals a season from set pieces so I think him and Mings would be fine and give us much more presence.

Guess they'll be some talks after the game and we'll see what happens.

• Like 3

Has been linked with PSV too, will wish him the best but the sooner Anwar goes the better, to aid our incoming business… would be nice for him to rebuild his career too, it’s not nice seeing him so out of favour in general and not getting much game time. Everton move was a complete disaster, he is more than good enough for plenty of teams out there… he achieved a lot with us… grateful for the POF performance… he will get goals wherever he goes and is a master penalty taker…

-

We really seem to be struggling to get any interest in our unwanted players. Anything we can get for Guilbert, Anwar, Nakamba and possibly Sanson? will only help. We’ve only managed loans for Traore (😭), Hause and Davis… unsure on the statuses of Archer and Iroegbunam yet… whether they will be loaned out or not…

If we shift them, our first team squad (available players) size totals less than 20… maybe 17/18? There have to be players coming in, surely?

The £20m for Carney has to be put to use… useful funds there… assuming the cash for Targett and Trez has already been spent… but we aren’t short on funds anyway (not at all reliant on sales to generate them) nor at any risk in terms of FFP. We need to show a bit more ambition, otherwise it is going to be a difficult season… we need reinforcements…

Please, let’s not see another season go to waste. I don’t want to watch us struggle, it’s about time we kicked on now…

6 hours ago, paul514 said:

As pointed out in the FFP thread we aren’t anywhere near FFP thresholds or in danger of breaking the wage limits coming into play for FFP soon.

I seriously struggle to believe that, we have been premier leagues top 5 spenders the past 4 years, whilst only receiving Grealish money. Pretty sure adding digne, ings, coutinho, carlos, Kamara in the past year, all players on easily 100k plus, whilst having a bunch of deadweight we cant get rid of, will definitely be testing our wage limits. I am though no expert and am yet to read a reliable report on our current state

7 hours ago, Made In Aston said:

Have we signed either of them?! Believing every clickbait rumour is ridiculous. 

Especially seeing as 2 months ago whilst signing Carlos the exact same thing happened... 

It looks like a new CB is coming and someone is playing the game during negotiations and linking us to alternatives 

FWIW Dawson has done well at West Ham and would make a better short term gap stop IMO

Edited by villa4europe
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Jas10 said:
We really seem to be struggling to get any interest in our unwanted players.

We don't do ourselves any favours by not even giving them a place on the bench. No reason AEG, Sanson, Guilbert, and Nakamba couldn't play vs Bolton

The way I see this summer window, we have fixed two positions. However, we should have fixed five…

What do you lot think? 

(I’m not counting Diego’s injury as not having fixed a CB position)