Summer Transfer Window 2022

Loxstock92

2 hours ago, TRO said:

Would Amadou Onana been the type of midfielder, we should have been in for?....or would it have stifled the pathway for Tim Iroegbunam?

Exactly that. We are all in with the academy players. It is why we changed the transfer policy.  Experience to help bring the youth through. Onana might be a revelation but players like Tim and Kaine will be mainstays of our team in the future. Zero transfer fee and zero risk. 

Conundrum for me is, when JJ is in the form he was yesterday, it makes me think another CM might not be as pressing.

However, we know that he won't always be in that form.

McGinn also seemed better yesterday, but we know he is also inconsistent if late. Then there's Luiz.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Conundrum for me is, when JJ is in the form he was yesterday, it makes me think another CM might not be as pressing.

McGinn also seemed better yesterday, but we know he is also inconsistent if late. Then there's Luiz.

The questions that need to be asked are what are our ambitions and can the players/midfielders we currently have get us there? 

if it’s top 10-12 then the answer is yes to both. If it’s top 6-8  then I don’t think they can. 

The top 6 imo would only sign Kamara maybe at a push Luiz as he suits their possession football. Man Utd would probably would take McGinn as well as Kamara because McGinn would give them some much needed bite.  

Ramsey is young so will continue to improve and will be a top 6 level midfielder in a season or two.

9 minutes ago, KAZZAM said:

Try for Arthur Melo on loan with permanent option. 

Would be what I would try. 

Cavani also on a 2 year deal I would atleast offer him on the off chance(cheeky bid). 

Melo could be a good option.

We also definitely need a striker if we’re persisting with 2 strikers to start each game.

Edited by jacketspuds

8 minutes ago, KAZZAM said:

Try for Arthur Melo on loan with permanent option. 

Would be what I would try. 

Cavani also on a 2 year deal I would atleast offer him on the off chance(cheeky bid). 

Too short. We need another 6 footer i reckon. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MWARLEY2 said:

Exactly that. We are all in with the academy players. It is why we changed the transfer policy.  Experience to help bring the youth through. Onana might be a revelation but players like Tim and Kaine will be mainstays of our team in the future. Zero transfer fee and zero risk. 

Going to have to disagree with you there it isn’t zero risk.

if you are buying players with no sell on value then what happens if the youth product never develops to the desired level…..

we should be buying at 25 and under and selling by 28 unless they are players we couldn’t replace.

35 minutes ago, jacketspuds said:

If things stay as they are I don’t think we’ve done enough in this window to push us that far up the table, especially if Carlos is out long-term.

I agree.

What we have is good enough to stand still/top 10 finish at best.

Were going to be nowhere near europe that's for sure.

Edited by AshVilla
  • Like 2

55 minutes ago, jacketspuds said:

If things stay as they are I don’t think we’ve done enough in this window to push us that far up the table, especially if Carlos is out long-term.

"pushing on" for our squad is getting into Europe. We certainly have a squad that can finish top half. If we don't accomplish it, that's on our coaches.

Edited by nepal_villan
  • Like 3

14 minutes ago, nepal_villan said:

"pushing on" for our squad is getting into Europe. We certainly have a squad that can finish top half. If we don't accomplish it, that's on our coaches.

I worry that our midfield is not good enough. You can argue that the attacking players are more than enough with the likes of Coutinho, Buendia, Bailey, Ings and Watkins. However, I feel like our CM’s will go missing in too many games this season.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, duke313 said:

We simply have too. With Carlos potentially out, we will likely start the Palace game with only one new player in the starting XI. That is unacceptable.

If our only improvement this year is coming from Carlos and Kamara were already up sh** creek.

Need the gameplan to have improved, the players to be better at playing it, and improvement out the players we already had last season to stand a chance.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, rodders0223 said:

Looked promising yesterday. Strong athletic and a real turn of pace for a 6ft4 in DM.

Saying that, if he's signed for Everton he will no doubt turn out to be absolute shite.

Reminded me more of Yaya Toure than a DM bulldozing through our team

We've already got Tim, Nakamba and Sanson who aren't even getting in the matchday squad.   We can't buy another midfielder until we have exits lined up for Sanson and Marv or we'll be pissing away money on bomb squad salaries.

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, il_serpente said:

We've already got Tim, Nakamba and Sanson who aren't even getting in the matchday squad.   We can't buy another midfielder until we have exits lined up for Sanson and Marv or we'll be pissing away money on bomb squad salaries.

Let’s be fair it’s two not three Tim is just a kid.

I fully support the sentiment though.

id only have 5 midfielders plus kids for our three 

28 minutes ago, KangarooVillan said:

Need the gameplan to have improved, the players to be better at playing it

Spot on. Our attacking players are man for man some of the most exciting - and capable - in the league. We need them to gel. If we’re successful, I think it might mitigate for some of our problems in midfield (or, at least, buy us time to improve it next summer).

For me, most of the responsibility for getting a tune out of those wonderful attacking players lays at the feet of the manager.  

19 minutes ago, il_serpente said:

Excluding Tim as he’s a kid but we are already pissing away Nakamba and Sanson money so does it matter.  It doesn’t look like they will get game time this season so what happens if we don’t sell them now or in January or next summer, do we just not buy another midfielder that will impact the first team? Of course not.  

They will get sold when we get a buyer but that could be a number of transfer windows away and in the meantime they will get no game time or unless we have a mass injury crisis.

If Gerrard doesn’t want them or use them meaningfully then they are money down the drain anyway.  We know we need a first XI midfielder I’m not sure waiting for them to go is a solid game plan.  If they were getting quality minutes even as second fiddle I could almost agree with your point but neither are so I’m not sure I agree.

3 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

i wont be popular, but i dont think JJ was that good yesterday, yes he did make some runs, but nothing came from them, and once again our midfield was non existent, with only kamara seeming to hold the fort on his own for chunks of the game.

I really dont think JJ and McGinn are well suiterd to play togehter.

• Like 3