Summer Transfer Window 2022

Loxstock92

Just feels like the main hindrance to further signings is that we need to sell a few players first. There is also over a month to go until the close of window so plenty of opportunity and activity tends to heat up closer to/at the end of the transfer window rather than the start… despite intentions and claims…

Depending on how much of a change we want to make to the team/squad, we could even be surprised by the names that will be moved on…

Tbh though, it doesn’t actually feel like we’re going to make major changes or replace so called key or starting players… but if we are as ambitious as we so often claim to be then more enhancements are required… unless, maybe and somehow, we can get the best out of our current crop… yet to even see our recent signings fully fit and in consistent form - but how long can we wait for that too?

Obviously, we’re not privy to what’s going on behind the scenes so it’s hard to predict anything and it’s probably harder than ever for info to be leaked from the club, which is most likely the reason that we’re not really seeing or hearing many rumours or vaguely accurate speculation…

I’ve just really soured on our big money strikers and feeling concerned that if we stick with the pair of them, are we ever going to get the best out of them? And how much can we even improve as a side if they’re constantly involved and not proving reliable…? Goals win games after all…

Midfield still isn’t right and is still lacking strength/physicality. It’s been a major deficiency for a long time.

I see JJ, McGinn and Sanson as too similar (and should all be competing for only a single spot in the team) and see no need to bring in a similar kind of player unless we are selling at least one of them.

Then we have Luiz who, imo, is the best option to play alongside and help out Kamara (he looks top class but needs help, too much responsibility on his shoulders will hurt us).

I hope Luiz extends his deal or is even offered one… we need as many players who are comfortable on the ball and can pass it with quality as possible. Which is also why Buendia needs to be a fixture in the side, no one threads the ball through as well as he does nor has such a fantastic weight of pass, not even Coutinho (more of a goal threat & more skilful. Emi is better at creating).

We simply have to retain possession better and improve our build up play. A top class and relevant (right attributes) signing in midfield would help even more…

We should sell Nakamba, Iroegbunam is coming along nicely…

Edited by Jas10
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, VillaHatesMe said:

Nothing against Scamacca personally, but I'm always leery of signing young players who only have one strong season and greatly exceeded their xG. He had 16 goals on 10.8 xG. I'd rather see him do it again before putting up that kind of money.

A lot of people like him, personally I don't see much impressiveness. 

The defence feels pretty sorted. Cash, Digne as starters with KKH & Ludwig to push them & Ashley Young to play wherever he is asked. Martinez & Olsen as keepers. CB's Carlos & Chambers as starters with Tyrone & Konza pushing them with Hause hopefully back later this year as extra security.

I cant recall going into a season recently with such a solid back line. Good transfer window.

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, paul514 said:

A lot of people like him, personally I don't see much impressiveness. 

I think he could end up being an excellent player. I just don't think it should be us spending that kind of cash for somebody who might not be an upgrade on what we have. If we're going for a striker, I'm going for a clear upgrade.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, VillaHatesMe said:

Nothing against Scamacca personally, but I'm always leery of signing young players who only have one strong season and greatly exceeded their xG. He had 16 goals on 10.8 xG. I'd rather see him do it again before putting up that kind of money.

I actually think Ajorque, one of Hammers' alternative targets to Scamacca/Borja would be an interesting addition for very little money (supposedly €15M). I've watched him several times while keeping tabs on Fred. He's a roughly 1-in-3 goalscorer, but also picks up a handful of assists, phenomenal in the air and at linking up play, also great at defending and pressing from the front. Think he could do a similar job to John Carew but with better work rate and fitness, would be useful to have against low blocks and really physical sides.

39 minutes ago, the_eristic said:

I actually think Ajorque, one of Hammers' alternative targets to Scamacca/Borja would be an interesting addition for very little money (supposedly €15M). I've watched him several times while keeping tabs on Fred. He's a roughly 1-in-3 goalscorer, but also picks up a handful of assists, phenomenal in the air and at linking up play, also great at defending and pressing from the front. Think he could do a similar job to John Carew but with better work rate and fitness, would be useful to have against low blocks and really physical sides.

A bit on the older side though. There really are still a lot of good players out there that don't get talked about enough because they were relatively late bloomers and never played for top teams.

Our striker situation is a tricky one tbh. I get the consensus around upgrading but that is not as easy as we would like. There is no way that the club looks to improve on Ings….yet. Prior to signing he was one of the leading PL goal scorers and we invested a serious amount on him. There is probably real belief that he will recapture that form….not saying he will but I’m just trying to look at it from the Club’s perspective. Ollie, as most of us agree, is not a ‘natural’ goal scorer. However, to upgrade on him would still require in excess of £40M, imo. The lad Scamacca has had one good season a has been mentioned and West Ham are taking a significant risk on him at £30-35M…..we aren’t yet in a position where we can spend that sort of money on potential. To buy a ready made upgrade we would be looking at huge money - money we probably can’t spend yet due to FFP. 

SG has consistently said he will only bring in players that he believes are of a better quality to what we have (this is a more straightforward process regarding the midfield) and so I think he will be content to go into new season with the 3 strikers we have, knowing the financial ability we have and the quality of strikers we could realistically attract. Summer 2023 will be window we sign the top striker we desire. Imo. 

Edited by eholm

I remember being told stories from both our previous owners, where the situation would be that a budget would be given and the management would rub their hands together and think about how to spend that money. I can name one manager on particular, but it was the norm for years that the budget would be looked at as a must spend and it would burn holes through pockets to the point we would actively sign players just to spend the budget.

As far as I’m aware the opposite is true now. A budget is there, it’s substantial, but we aren’t looking to spend for the sake of it. Each signing is deliberate.

Our owners will lead us to success 👍

• Like 1

I started off the Summer thinking signing a striker would be difficult because we’d have to spend a lot of money to get better than what we have. As each game/week passes, I’m wondering if that really is the case…

Surely there is somebody out there who can control the ball, has a bit of pace and is good enough to score 10-14 goals as our front man for less than say…£40m?

I guess a lot of it depends if we can shift Ings or Watkins. Either way, the striker position needs to be improved soon. The two we have atm look way off it. Hopefully when the season starts, they come good. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

I started off the Summer thinking signing a striker would be difficult because we’d have to spend a lot of money to get better than what we have. As each game/week passes, I’m wondering if that really is the case…

Surely there is somebody out there who can control the ball, has a bit of pace and is good enough to score 10-14 goals as our front man for less than say…£40m?

I guess a lot of it depends if we can shift Ings or Watkins. Either way, the striker position needs to be improved soon. The two we have atm look way off it. Hopefully when the season starts, they come good. 

Can’t see us shifting either player tbh.

Midfield still looks to weak defensively, until our ability to hold the ball there is sorted I don't think we can judge our attacking play to much. I will be very disappointed if we don't get a proven DM.

Edited by tinker

25 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

The key phrase I think you're missing is 'at Premier League level'.

I think Watkins gets unfair stick. His control isn't bad at all, he has a bit of pace and in the last few seasons he's scored 14 and 11 goals—he fulfills all your criteria. Control up front when leading the line against Premier League standard teams isn't easy. Every time he gets the ball he's being hassled and people are on him.

Getting the next level of striker I'd imagine is really difficult seeing as every team struggles to get one, and plenty of them spend crazy money trying/doing so.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, tinker said:

Midfield still looks to weak defensively, until our ability to hold the ball there is sorted I don't think we can judge our attacking play to much. I will be very disappointed if we don't get a proven DM.

Surely Kamara and Luiz or Kamara and Nakamba would be good enough in the games where we are more likely to be on the back foot.

The defensive players aren't so much the issue, i would say the bigger problem is SG has to play Mcginn and Ramsey in every game.

1 minute ago, AVFCDAN said:

Surely Kamara and Luiz or Kamara and Nakamba would be good enough in the games where we are more likely to be on the back foot.

The defensive players aren't so much the issue, i would say the bigger problem is SG has to play Mcginn and Ramsey in every game.

I can't comment on Kamara but the others just can't play the role, Nakamba is the closest we have but I'm not convinced and he's had more than enough time to establish himself but he's to inconsistent. Doug is next but hes not strong enough and he's leaving anyway, maybe a younger player can establish themselves but that's a big gamble. McGinn......had a go last season and he wasn't very good, to say the least.