Summer Transfer Window 2022

Loxstock92

1 hour ago, nick76 said:

Really, didn’t know that! Thought running gets more momentum hence why attackers run into the box and leap at corners higher than defenders standard leaping.  You learn something new every day!

No, they're jumping higher simply because they're usually better athletes. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Wezbid said:

Zinchenko would be quality. He played midfield against Wales and he looked like a player capable of taking control of the match. Great cover for left-back at the same time. 

Yup stated exactly this a while ago to a Villa mate. Much better player than Luiz or McGinn and would give Villa a touch of class in midfield. As for Hojbjerg would sign him in a heartbeat but can’t see Spuds selling and if they do you’re dealing with Levy.

I think whoever our CF is, he needs to be good at one on ones* and have a decent amount of pace or agility. Needs to be clinical in general, but when he’s played through on goal by the likes of Buendia and Coutinho, almost needs to be a guarantee in terms of finishing those chances regularly… a younger Suarez type would be amazing but who is out there of that style/ilk? And would even be attainable?

I’ve been impressed by and admired Ollie a fair bit since his time here but this does seem a weakness of his.* His workrate and pressing is such an asset but he wasn’t himself last season although improved toward the latter end… but still, he just didn’t appear sharp or clinical enough and does waste some good chances (although he is too often isolated and doesn’t get enough support but I expect that to be addressed asap), he doesn’t seem to be technically proficient enough to take it round the keeper, lob/chip him or carry out the more cultured kind of finishes on a regular basis… 

It’s an awkward one, because during and after his first season it seemed like Ollie was a signing for the long term. Our main CF who would develop and improve with us and be key going forwards… maybe he will be outstanding next season? That would be nice to see… if he can prove that he can be relied on to score enough for us.

Ings seems to be a good character and has a reputation as a deadly finisher but for us he has looked slow and laboured… often the phrase “running in treacle” has applied. I just don’t think it was a clever signing and the expense just hasn’t been justified so far, there was never any longevity or long term strategy with that signing. We needed him to hit the ground running but it just seemed to disrupt Ollie’s game & form and he didn’t produce enough for us. I don’t have a problem with him but can’t help feeling that if we moved him on and brought in a younger or more effective CF, it would leave us in a better place… no major problem with him sticking around but if he doesn’t improve then we are wasting so many funds on him… and will he burdened by an ageing players on big wages that will be hard to shift…

Again, maybe he’ll be much better and a proper preseason with us will help to bring the best out of him. It just seems difficult to keep both of these guys happy and I personally prefer us to play with 1 CF and for Buendia (make him a mainstay!) & Coutinho to support. Rather than force 2 to play and reduce our attacking nous and creativity.

Like most of our existing players, I expect them to be much better next season. Just not sure if they will be able to improve to the extent that we need, if we’re genuinely looking to challenge that top 6-8…

Could Archer be the answer or is it just way too soon? Maybe in the future but it seems like he needs to develop further. Or could he make a genuine breakthrough like someone like Owen did for Liverpool?

I just have no idea on what our transfer activity is going to be like, suppose we will have to move a few players on before bringing in new talent…

All we can do is wait and see…

A solid base in midfield will really help us, delighted with the signing of Kamara but I feel like he could do with some support (in a defensive and physical sense) alongside him. That should allow our attackers to thrive.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Ffs the transfer window closes in 74 days and we’re nowhere near ready. Classic Villa. 

Funny ain't  it. No other side have signed more players than Villa thus far in this window and some folk are moaning about a lack of activity. Great craic.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, VillaHatesMe said:

If you're running your forward momentum will reduce your verticality. Science.

I dont think thats true. 

"According to the NBA Draft results, the highest running vertical jump is 45.5 inches, while the highest standing vertical jump is 39.5 inches"

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, CalVilla88 said:

I dont think thats true. 

"According to the NBA Draft results, the highest running vertical jump is 45.5 inches, while the highest standing vertical jump is 39.5 inches"

Verticals at the combine are standing.

Screen Shot 2022-06-18 at 9.11.13 PM.png

Edited by VillaHatesMe

4 hours ago, VillaHatesMe said:

Verticals at the combine are standing.

Screen Shot 2022-06-18 at 9.11.13 PM.png

They measure both standing and vertical leap. That said, there's long been conspiracies about players suspiciously measuring lower on standing reach ( no idea how that happens ) in order to stand out on the verticals. Keon Johnson, being one example but there have been others in literally every draft. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Nicho said:

Brighton have just paid £9 million for an 18 year old Paraguan Striker called Julio Cesar Enciso. The exact kind of football manager business I want us to do. 

The problem with Brighton’s model is, they’ll probably only ever hit a certain ceiling trading and working the way they do. It’s incredibly commendable how they operate but our owners want success now. 

Im not saying we shouldn’t be spending big on youngsters - we are - but for the first team, we want proven players ready to go.