Summer Transfer Window 2022

Loxstock92

Just now, allani said:

I think we will be playing with a No 9 and two 10s - with McGinn / Ramsay arriving from deep and the two fullbacks playing further forward to provide the width.  Kamara will drop back - centre backs push slightly wider to provide cover should we lose possession.

I like that. Hope we do. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Makes sense. So either way need one more midfielder ideally? Two if selling Luiz.

Yep.  I think we need someone who can play a mix of the 6 and 8 role.  Gives us options if we have injuries / suspensions but more importantly real options on the bench - with the ability to change things depending on the state of the game.

• Like 1

Just now, Mazrim said:

We should, yes. Luiz then competes with new 8 who covers Kamara and McGinn competes with Ramsey. I would definitely start Ramsey over McGinn. McGinn should have reduced defensive tasking as he just cannot cover the space quickly enough to be effective. I would personally play Sanson over McGinn too but it looks like he isn't fancied for whatever reason.

Then ahead of the 3 mids is Coutinho and Buendia, with Chuk (who would also cover Ramsey too initially), Bailey and Ings covering those positions in different configurations. Thats how I see it anyway.

If we do that I think McGinn has to go. 

Would that be a 4-3-2-1? Unless Coutinho and Buendia go wide, it's gonna be awful congested in the middle. To do that SG will have to commit to playing wide forwards. Brings Bailey and Bertie back into the equasion, perhaps? 

10 minutes ago, HKP90 said:

Would that be a 4-3-2-1? Unless Coutinho and Buendia go wide, it's gonna be awful congested in the middle. To do that SG will have to commit to playing wide forwards. Brings Bailey and Bertie back into the equasion, perhaps? 

Maybe the departure of Beale will change things slightly, and SG will be more open to tactical flexibility?  

16 minutes ago, HKP90 said:

It transitions from 4-1-2-2-1 (back 4, CDM, 2x8, 2x10 and a striker) to 3-4-2-1 (CDM drops into back 3 as fullbacks push up to join 8s in a midfield 4) to a 4-3-3. It's fluid.

I think the days of starting and sticking to positions are long gone. And if McGinn leaves, so be it. I'm really not fussed and hope he doesn't start next season.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mazrim said:

It transitions from 4-1-2-2-1 (back 4, CDM, 2x8, 2x10 and a striker) to 3-4-2-1 (CDM drops into back 3 as fullbacks push up to join 8s in a midfield 4) to a 4-3-3. It's fluid.

I think the days of starting and sticking to positions are long gone. And if McGinn leaves, so be it. I'm really not fussed and hope he doesn't start next season.

Fair point. 

I still believe we're going to sign at least 3 more for the Senior Squad.

I think back-up left back will come in next, as that is not going to depend on anyone else leaving (with Targett already signed to Newcastle).

Central Midfielder (to replace Douglas Luiz who I think will be sold) and a versatile attacker who can play as a 9 or 10 will follow, but will definitely require players leaving the club.

Just now, Wes said:

I still believe we're going to sign at least 3 more for the Senior Squad.

I think back-up left back will come in next, as that is not going to depend on anyone else leaving (with Targett already signed to Newcastle).

Central Midfielder (to replace Douglas Luiz who I think will be sold) and a versatile attacker who can play as a 9 or 10 will follow, but will definitely require players leaving the club.

Wes, love this. 

16 hours ago, a m ole said:

I often wonder about players like that, do they recognise Tyrone Mings? Does Messi keep tabs on the Premier League and does he know who Conor Hourihane is? Would Figo be aware of Ashley Westwood?

Come to think of it, would Conor know who Ashley is? ;)

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, John said:

Come to think of it, would Conor know who Ashley is? ;)

At some points last season I wondered if some of our players knew each other on the pitch given the play 😂

• Like 1

Plenty of talent in the citeh u23 squad and peripheries:  Tommy Doyle, Jayden Braaf, Cole Palmer, Morgan Rogers, Liam Delap. Also how about Yangel Herrera for DM … ?!

Edited by thabucks
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Mazrim said:

Personally, I am more taken by players, giving consistently good performances,individually and subsequently collectively before, being concerned about formations.

I am not dissing formations, at all,  but I think the player application is more important.

I also believe formations morph, during a game, with overloads and underloads, so I am unsure of the level of relevance they have.....football is dynamic and changes all the time, with the play.

I don't want to see McGinn leave, because with the additional quality, coming in, I see his game coming back to us.....but what we have seen the past few seasons, I see your concerns.

We do need a couple more quality additions to add some more resillience to the team.