Summer Transfer Window 2022

Loxstock92

1 hour ago, mjmooney said:

Maybe that's because our 'second string' hasn't been good enough?  

Some people would argue some of the likes of Sanson, Ings, Young, Traore, Nakamba and Buendia if you want to count them as second string are good enough for rotation if not starting outright. But whilst they have started games to varying amounts, do you honestly think Gerrard played them because of rotation or because he happened to think they were our part of our strongest 11 fit for selection at the time. I think its pretty clearly the latter. I don't see a backup lb faring any better unless Digne has a lot of injury issues.

Edited by Laughable Chimp

18 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

I've read a couple of times that the manager would like to have the summers transfer business done in time for pre-season, with our first match on 9th July, when do we reckon the players will be back at Bodymoor? 4th July? Maybe 1st July even?

We're three weeks away from pre-season training, so if we want players in for then, moves will need to be happening quickly.

He said most and also admitted that might not be feasible in every case. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Awol said:

I’d be very grateful if the Oxlade-Chamberlain rumours would sod off. Not even better than what we can already muster on the bench and hopefully just a lazy SG-Liverpool link.

He's miles better than the likes of Sanson and Chukwuemeka. His realistic comp would be Ramsey, so would add excellent squad depth as one of two centre mids bought in, assuming we want to move one or two on also. 

A 'marquee' signing and Ox, whilst moving Sanson and Luiz on has the potential to be a huge upgrade, depending on marquee signing of course. 

10 hours ago, david-avfc said:

and why pay £18m for a 20 year old who isn’t going to develop whilst they’re sat on the bench for several seasons, or indeed why pay £18m for a back up left back at all

If Digne gets injured we need a LB that can step in and that LB needs to be of decent quality, so I agree with us investing in a LB. We need a player that will be happy to not be a first choice. That is why I like Bassey as he can play at CB too and push Mings and Konsa for a place in the starting 11

10 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

He said most and also admitted that might not be feasible in every case. 

Oh aye, I get that, It's just interesting I think this year in how short the summer will be because of the World Cup - it'll make these next three weeks very interesting.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TheMelvillan said:

I have no opinion on Oxlade Chamberlain because I genuinely cannot recall the last time Ive seen him play . Re recollection of him as a footballer in the slightest 

4 serious knee injuries. That's a pretty solid red flag there for a guy who turns 29 when next season starts. Doubt he will be a 90 minutes player on a regular basis.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Adam2003 said:

I think we tried our best to sign him. Emi said he tried to persuade him personally. Think he always had his sights set on bigger things.

So did this chap and look where he spent much of his time last season (I anticipate Alvarez will see a lot of the same bench this season too):

image.jpeg.cd01c4d395ee9bae77091affe4db3714.jpeg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OutByEaster? said:

Oh aye, I get that, It's just interesting I think this year in how short the summer will be because of the World Cup - it'll make these next three weeks very interesting.

Does highlight how good an idea this current international 'tournament' is.

1 hour ago, Adam2003 said:

I think we tried our best to sign him. Emi said he tried to persuade him personally. Think he always had his sights set on other things.

Fixed for ya

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

He's miles better than the likes of Sanson and Chukwuemeka. 

Disagree with that but agree he wouldn’t make the  starting XI. Where we are now in developing the team any incoming midfielder should be a starter, or why bother? We need quality not quantity.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, maqroll said:

Yeah, she's such a whore. How dare she try to advocate for her poor and working class constituency while getting daily death threats. 

Sorry mate but she is absolutely full of shite.

A glory hunter and attention seeker of the highest order.

You'd have a valid argument if half the shite she came out with had logic backing them.

This is one for Off Topic though I guess.

Bring up Bernie Sanders and most people have more time and willingness to listen.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 3
  • Confused 1

12 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Sorry mate but she is absolutely full of shite.

A glory hunter and attention seeker of the highest order.

You'd have a valid argument if half the shite she came out with had logic backing them.

This is one for Off Topic though I guess.

Bring up Bernie Sanders and most people have more time and willingness to listen.

Her fiancé is something of a Villa fan though (mate of mine used to watch the games with him when they were at uni in Boston) so it’s another route to our eventual domination of all world governments. As you say it’s one for the Secret Villa Government thread in off topic.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, Mazrim said:

I think some of us are underrating Watkins a lot. Yes, we might need somebody more clinical or decisive but he's still a very important asset to this squad.

If he gets his decision making sorted, which is coachable to a degree, he could be lethal.

Agreed, only Three thing - very important - Training hard on he need focus over the summer.

1) Clinical finisher with Quick Think.

2) Quick Think + Plan and reaction to execute the final ball (move to position and shot) 

3) Stop do same mistake; Running and stop, wait think what to do next, wait for other come support when he could have better option shot at goalkeeper will make pressure defender to drop deep to avoid mistake again.
|
~->THIS is reason he most of the time, he is lose ball easy by defender grab him like he give ball to him when he actually try keep ball. (He need keep ball close to feet, quick reaction protection) 

He is great player and has very smart movement in him, work hard. Defender hate as play against him but easy win ball off him.

I prefer Ings over him cos he is better teamwork and assist, clinical finisher. (when he in poacher mode in box they fear him, and outside he don't much but still can lethal pass to other player to finisher or position dangerous but slow pace toward box. Which Watkins better this area pace toward box.

Be fair if Watkins offer come i might sell him and keep Ings indeed or Ings offered so i will keep Watkins but last saloon until summer next season.

if he done training over the summer with 3 of these cut off mistake that he is will elite world class striker we best have, no need buy anyone and play Archer as challenge him, sold Ings to summer.

we might not need buy Striker as we should've give Archer (or Brad Young) a chance until January windows (Good chance we can look at striker/forward at world cup 2022 (winter tournament)).

^^ might good reason keep Ings until Jan give him a chance too) ^^