Summer Transfer Window 2022

Loxstock92

2 hours ago, Delphinho123 said:

Love him or loathe him, he's probably here to stay. He is on massive money and nobody is going to want to pick those wages up unless we take a massively reduced fee so they can offer him some sort of signing bonus to negate the reduction in wages.
It was a daft signing at the time, and we'll probably pay for it for a while yet. He's not a bad player btw, it's just not smart giving a 29yr old a 4 year deal on 120k a week when (at the time) you only play one striker. Especially when the other striker is your club record signing.

The Ings money should gave gone on a central midfielder at the time - I was crying out for it.

Anyway, it is what it is. We have incredible owners, I just think this is one of very few mistakes theyve made since buying the club. It's not like he's crap either - he'll get game time. 

Yep, calamity signing but we can still make it work. Or even sell him to a desperate club in January. 

Ings off the bench is far from a bad option.

5 minutes ago, useless said:

We won't be going for Breteton Diaz, he's had one good season in his career so far, before this season his best goal tally in the league was seven goals, after remember the championship was particularly poor as well, Mitrovic who hasn't been very great at Premier level scored forty plus, Solanke scored nearly thirty, Weimann scored the same amount as Diaz and got many more assists, Karlan Grant who was poor in the Premier league was also amongst the leading scorers...

Have to guard against thinking that just because a player is scoring at championship level that they can do it at Premier League level, some can some can't, have to look at their all round game.

If we bring in another striker, it will be someone who's seen as an improvement on Watkins and Ings, that certainly won't be Diaz.

He has only just turned 23 to be fair. A key for our development as a club is to spot these players early. And take punts on them. Spurs did this well with Modric, Berbatov and Son. Southampton with VVD and Mane. 

Preferably before they have a good season but that is pure football manager. Another season or two of proof that us as fans may want is the time it takes for potentially good players to get good and a bigger club to take them. 

Not fussed on Diaz as I’ve not seen him play, but the next Mane is out there somewhere.

Edited by Nicho

We spurned so many chances it is definitely on Gerrard's to do list to improve our finishing and ruthlessness. It cost us possible 10 - 15 points at least and several positions. It makes a big difference.
Now, Watkins and Ings are very decent players. Maybe we expect them to be better next season and stick with what we've got, but somehow I doubt it.

So, with Kamara - a very accurate passing defensive mid - coming in, hopefully a new number 8 to partner Ramsey and play behind Coutinho and Buendia, who play killer through balls, we need to get the forward position spot on. When we had chances last season I was hopeful but not massively confident we would put chances away. We need to have that confidence in somebody again.

We need a killer up front to take advantage of the higher possession and chance creation we will most certainly have next season. Ings and Watkins are fine to challenge that player for a support role. Sometimes we will play one striker, sometimes two. New guy, Watkins and Ings and one of the kids (Archer , Barry) as the 4th choice is what we need.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, mikeyjavfc said:

Need to have a look at Archer in pre-season. If he’s good enough, retain him for the first team squad and promise him the cups and time off the bench. If not then send him out on loan again for 6/12 months and get a short term striker fix sorted.
We can then make an informed decision next year on a new long term signing. It seems rash to replace Watkins or Ings with a new expensive signing on the back of one iffy and disrupted season and with Archer threatening to break through. We need that money for a midfielder.

If he does go out on loan you'd think it would be towards the end of the window. I think there'll have been at least 1 extra game than usual this season by that point plus the extra subs, so we'll have plenty of (game) time to make a decision on him.

Edited by fightoffyour

Last season was Diaz's sixth season as a championship player, his record in those six seasons are

three goals in eighteen,

five goals in thirty-five,

one goal in twenty-five,

one goal in fifteen,

seven goals in forty,

twenty-two goals in thirty-seven

Even allowing for his younger age , looking at that record there's a danger that last season was one off, and like I said last season the championship was pretty poor.

I'm pretty certain that we won't be interested in him or any other player of a similar profile, will be a  prestigous forward that's done it an higher level.

3 hours ago, RicRic said:

Spot on and i agree the market is hard is that department in the forward area

Clearly it's not an easy place to go shopping - even Liverpool and Citeh have really struggled to find an out and out "9" until their recent activity, Arsenal are looking to take Citeh's cast off (not sure he is any better than what we have), Man U are relying on a 37 y/o (albeit a pretty decent one), Chelski can't make their's work so it's only Spurs of the Big 6 that have a proven (in the Premier League) solution. The best of the rest challengers are probably led by Wet Spam - with only one offering and he doesn't score bucket loads - and Leicester - who again have an ageing solution.

Watkins and DCL are probably as good as it gets in the PL outside of Kane and the two new boys. That's why Moyes and Arteta have been chasing Ollie, although Arteta has now seemingly settled on the easier to deliver solution.  Outside of those two it's a 2'games in 10 Wilson, a similar Bamford (It will be interesting to see if he can stay fit enough to play!), Toney (interesting to see if he can push on) or Mitrovic (can he at last deliver in the PL).

I do think Cam could be right up there with the best from what I have seen - he's as clinical as anyone I have seen at that age.

Spoiler

Spoiler

Edited by barry'sboots
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, barry'sboots said:

Clearly it's not an easy place to go shopping - even Liverpool and Citeh have really struggled to find an out and out "9" until their recent activity, Arsenal are looking to take Citeh's cast off (not sure he is any better than what we have), Man U are relying on a 37 y/o (albeit a pretty decent one), Chelski can't make their's work so it's only Spurs of the Big 6 that have a proven (in the Premier League) solution. The best of the rest challengers are probably led by Wet Spam - with only one offering and he doesn't score bucket loads - and Leicester - who again have an ageing solution.

Watkins and DCL are probably as good as it gets in the PL outside of Kane and the two new boys. That's why Moyes and Arteta have been chasing Ollie, although Arteta has now seemingly settled on the easier to deliver solution.  Outside of those two it's a 2'games in 10 Wilson, a similar Bamford (It will be interesting to see if he can stay fit enough to play!), Toney (interesting to see if he can push on) or Mitrovic (can he at last deliver in the PL).

I do think Cam could be right up there with the best from what I have seen - he's as clinical as anyone I have seen at that age.

Reveal hidden contents

Reveal hidden contents

What ever are you Hiding?😝

• Haha 3

22 hours ago, Zatman said:

Brighton signed an 18 year old Paraguay international with 11 goals this season in 15 games

Not saying he will be an amazing success though Brighton have a good scouting range but how come we never seem to go for random young players like this. Probably a no risk transfer for a Premier League team

Tim Vickery has said that Julio Enciso is "the most exciting player to come out of Paraguay for a while", but adds that "He's still filling out and my fear is that he would be bullied out of the game in Europe." I agree with you that he was well worth considering and I think we probably were aware of him (or at least I would like to think we were), but we may prefer to go down the route of signing young players, like we are now doing from nearer to home, who might have less problems in settling into Birmingham and English football. That said, they just may have signed a future star and if so, it will be a case of why didn't we (as we did when we signed Barry)?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bobzy said:

We just don't need another striker.  Watkins and Ings are both good strikers.

Ings is on the decline, his best days are behind him I think. We need someone to come in and compete with him and Watkins and to have Archer and Davis as back up if they are willing to do that role

9 minutes ago, barry'sboots said:

Reveal hidden contents

Reveal hidden contents

You are spot on with this mate absolutely… its really difficult and i most certainly respect watkins enough and trust him to keep starting however i do question his passion and enthusiasm while representing us as i dont see enough of that I do like players to feel the energy of the club but we need someone with that little bit more of a cutting edge to pair up alongside him and i want to introduce cameron to the scene but not totally rely on him for the new season and he can be very clinical 100 percent right

7 minutes ago, John said:

Tim Vickery has said that Julio Enciso is "the most exciting player to come out of Paraguay for a while", but adds that "He's still filling out and my fear is that he would be bullied out of the game in Europe." I agree with you that he was well worth considering and I think we probably were aware of him (or at least I would like to think we were), but we may prefer to go down the route of signing young players, like we are now doing from nearer to home, who might have less problems in settling into Birmingham and English football. That said, they just may have signed a future star and if so, it will be a case of why didn't we (as we did when we signed Barry)?

Is "the most exciting player to come out of Paraguay for a while" much of a compliment???  Is that since Almiron joined Newcastle??😉

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, barry'sboots said:

Is "the most exciting player to come out of Paraguay for a while" much of a compliment???  Is that since Almiron joined Newcastle??😉

probably the legend that is Juan Iturbe

40 minutes ago, maqroll said:

Yep, calamity signing but we can still make it work. Or even sell him to a desperate club in January. 

Ings off the bench is far from a bad option.

Yeah I don’t agree with those who said spending a lot of money on this position was an issue. We need more than one quality striker. People can of course disagree as to the relative quality of Ings and Watkins BUT spending the money on a proven striker was not in itself a bad decision, and it’s good to have both in the squad for next season (pending any upgrade).

3 minutes ago, AshVilla said:

Has a 30 mill euro release clause and Chelsea, Manure interest apparently.

If they are in for him were going to struggle.

Sounds like a bargain. He is a seriously cool customer. 

He'll do perfectly as our player for Kamara to play it to, who then takes it forward!