Summer Transfer Window 2022

Loxstock92

4 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

Whatever metric you want to use Villa are either 4th, 5th or 6th in youngest squad last season. That is after our January signings. 

Now next season you'll see Archer, Kamara and KKH added to the squad. You'll see older players like AEG, Trezeguet, Sanson etc.. depart. 

We could be signing Bassey who's 22. 

12th for wage budget and 4th youngest squad. Absolutely hilarious how little other fans know. We’ve invested hugely in our academy and have some of the brightest talents in the England U21/20 squads. This isn’t a flash in the pan strategy at all. I can’t wait to see the bitterness grow and grow. Our ambitions will leave them in the shade. 

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, KMitch said:

Doing an Everton is better than doing a Fulham, I guess...  Would rather do a Leicester, though.  

You mean hire a Manager from the easy two horse Scottish league, then go from Title winner and Champions League qualifiers to 8th in the League? 👀

I kid, I kid. Lol

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN

Well that Twitter thread contains some valid questions so getting angry about it would be missing the point. What the club is doing currently is taking a calculated risk, and if it doesn't pay off the person who is manager in 3 years time could have a difficult period getting players off the wage bill.

Many managers would want to do similar things, as they risk being sacked if they can't show quick results. A director of football (and possibly CEO/board) is supposed to have a more long-term view.

On the other hand -- the strategy isn't exactly extreme. Unless we sign another 3-4 expensive oldtimers. I hope the strategy is a success. If it isn't I don't believe Villa would go under or anything, but there could be some crap years. 

Edited by VillaParkAvenue

People saying that signing older players is a risk and divergence from the plan - I think it's the complete opposite.

It's a risk to not have a balance of experience in our squad (which prior to Digne and Coutinho was a very young squad anyway).

It's a risk to not move now, when we've got the likes of Newcastle aiming for the top four in the next few years, along with the likes of Man Utd and Arsenal looking to return there.

And wasn't it always the plan to get to this year back in the Prem and up our spending, because we can afford to (also because we made £100m off a player last year)? As many have said, Gerrard's profile allows us to do that and appeal to players higher up the food chain.

I know some are sceptical about the likes of Purslow, but I believe the he and others have done more than enough already to suggest they know a bit about what they're doing. 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

Is it though? It’s very clear what the strategy is - who cares what rival fans think? It’s very clear that the thinking is about the calibre of player the club can attract in the short and long term. The club is in a position to spend bigger so why shouldn’t it?

Not being funny, but I think you're the only one who cares?  Last couple of pages have seen comments from you about Newcastle fans, the media and a Wolves fans Twitter post.  I can only assume you're actively searching for what other fans think?

On the thread, it's fair to some extent.  Pushing for older players with no resale value is relatively risky if it doesn't work out at all - and this is pretty much because FFP.  However, we're clearly investing in youth and spotting opportunities elsewhere.  Coutinho for £17m is good value.  An experienced centre back from one of the best defensive sides in La Liga for £26m seems like good value.  FWIW, I think we did the same with Sanson too.  He became available at a price which was seen as good value, so we moved.  When we've spent bigger amounts recently, it's generally been on players with great potential (Buendia, Bailey). 

Do you think that the top teams care about a player's resale value when they bid for them?  No...  They look at whether or not they'll improve them slightly next season or significantly in a few.  

We have plenty of developing talents on the team, we need some experienced winners in the side...  Leaders who will run through a wall if it means we'll win a game.  Jack was that guy for us...  How many times did he take the ball down the pitch to create a chance and all of a sudden the entire team rallied around it to close out a game/come back into it?  Buendia has that kind of fire and arguably McGinn, but we need more players like that throughout the squad.  Say what you want about Suarez, but he personifies that kind of attitude.  Having a 35 year old Suarez come off the bench in the last 10-15 minutes to try to find a goal is something we would have loved to have this season.  I've always hated the player, but I also hated Terry too and look at the impact he had on Grealish's development.  

I don't rate Gerrard as a manager, but I can't fault his signings so far.  They've all been spot on since January.  Hell, even if we continue to under achieve next season, we'll be in a much more attractive position for a proven winner of a manager to come in and lead us into Europe with this kind of a squad we have now.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, The_Steve said:

12th for wage budget and 4th youngest squad. Absolutely hilarious how little other fans know. We’ve invested hugely in our academy and have some of the brightest talents in the England U21/20 squads. This isn’t a flash in the pan strategy at all. I can’t wait to see the bitterness grow and grow. Our ambitions will leave them in the shade. 

transfermarkt has us as 6th youngest squad last season though I think Leeds stats are blinkered as they have a bunch of 9 year olds in the squad

We were 14th highest wage bill last season and since then lost Grealish and added about 500k a week to the wage bill

2 minutes ago, MWARLEY2 said:

Exactly. If you ever venture on to their forums they are all highly qualified finance experts that think we are pushing ffp limits and have owners that are gambling with the future of the football club. And that they hope that is the case. They always forget to mention the 100 mill net profit on Grealish under FfP rules and the academy .  

They have an irrational hatred of us bordering on obsession. I find it very strange, especially since most Villa fans, me included, couldn’t care less about them in anyway at all. Almost as strange as a Villa fan having any time for  or giving any credence to anything they say. 

1 minute ago, CVByrne said:

At Villa we've

Archer, Chukwuemeka, Iroegbunam, Ramsey, KKH and maybe JPB/Barry as young 21 or younger prospects

Good point.

Players we have in the academy are potentially the best ever coming through.

Pure experience will tell you that only one or two will make it as a Villa first-teamer...this could be the crop that changes is.

33 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

This thread is very funny because it omits that we signed Kamara who is only 22 and that we have one of the best academies in the country. Plus, we have a lot of money and players to sell. People are getting triggered. 

Is the Vegas Villans thing still happening? If so A ‘soccer’ team in Vegas has the potential to be very marketable and profitable (USA posters can probably give a better indication on the state of the MLS).

Next year onwards there’s going to be an F1 race in Vegas too. Imagine a big game on the same weekend as the race. Potential to exploit that is quite high.

We can probably ‘sell’ the older guys to Vegas Villa. Commercial deals in USA are usually lucrative. America has another World Cup. So famous Footballer who played for years in Europe sold to Vegas team = good marketing for America’s World Cup build up. 

I would like one or two more Kamara’s coming through the door 22-25 of course but we do have potential exit strategies for the elder players if needed.

6 minutes ago, VillaParkAvenue said:

Well that Twitter thread contains some valid questions so getting angry about it would be missing the point. What the club is doing currently is taking a calculated risk, and if it doesn't pay off the person who is manager in 3 years time could have a difficult period getting players off the wage bill.

Many managers would want to do similar things, as they risk being sacked if they can't show quick results. A director of football (and possibly CEO/board) is supposed to have a more long-term view.

On the other hand -- the strategy isn't exactly extreme. Unless we sign another 3-4 expensive oldtimers. I hope the strategy is a success. If it isn't I don't believe Villa would go under or anything, but there could be some crap years. 

All signings are calculated risks. We buy young talent "hoping" they mature and improve into top quality players. I don't think signing Coutinho or Carlos on 4 year deals puts any manager in a difficult situation unless the players themselves fail. Yeah maybe Coutinho might be past his best in the last year of his contract but Carlos will be 29, 30, 31 and 32 in his 4 seasons here as a CB. Total peak years. 

Also wage infation is so big that 125k we pay Coutinho will be considered not very big in 3 years time

5 minutes ago, KMitch said:

Do you think that the top teams care about a player's resale value when they bid for them?  No...  They look at whether or not they'll improve them slightly next season or significantly in a few.  

Top clubs do a lot of squad planning, that's a key thing for long-term success. A club like Man United however hasn't been doing enough of it.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

Good point.

Players we have in the academy are potentially the best ever coming through.

Pure experience will tell you that only one or two will make it as a Villa first-teamer...this could be the crop that changes is.

I'm seeing a clear plan to not block the pathways for these players. I can see Kamara + Tim being our CDM options in a years time with Naka moving on. I see KKH battling with Cash for Right back. If we sign Bassey that's a fight for LB or LCB there with Digne / Mings. Archer up top learning from say Suarez and being a regular in a years time. The pathways for these players are not blocked

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

We are apparently the new Everton because we signed two players aged 29. Heaven above. 

We were the new Fulham till we became stable again, these people don't have peripheral vision 

• Like 1