Summer Transfer Window 2022

Loxstock92

Comparing lingard to Buendia or Coutinho is a waste, he wouldn't be in over either of them.

Lingard would be better cover than AEG or Trez. I think there's arguments for/against him or Traore being a better option than the other. Traore isn't getting a look in under Gerrard so if you sell him for £12-16m and get Lingard on a free, it probably makes sense.

4 year deal and big wages are a problem. I don't think we find a way to sell AEG, Trez and Traorr (can't remember if any are on frees). So I do have problems with us signing Lingard. But I don't think it's right to question whether hes taking Buendia or Coutinhos place.

Traore, AEG, Trez and JPB are the ones that should be debated. It genuinely hampers playing time for JPB, Aaron Ramsey, Barry and - perhaps most importantly - Carney Chukweumeka. 

But unless Gerrard has lost his mind. It's not Buendia or Coutinho and probably not Bailey (although also at risk)

1 hour ago, HalfTimePost said:

Comparing lingard to Buendia or Coutinho is a waste, he wouldn't be in over either of them.

Agreed, different types of players - traditional 10's versus a wide forward - but it is the nearest there is to a position for him to play in this team.

Lingard would be better cover than AEG or Trez. I think there's arguments for/against him or Traore being a better option than the other. Traore isn't getting a look in under Gerrard so if you sell him for £12-16m and get Lingard on a free, it probably makes sense.

Cover for who? We're selling AEG and Trez, and probably Traore and potentially Bailey - they're all wingers and we don't use wingers. Why would we add one when we're already having a firesafe of the ones we've got?

Traore, AEG, Trez and JPB are the ones that should be debated. It genuinely hampers playing time for JPB, Aaron Ramsey, Barry and - perhaps most importantly - Carney Chukweumeka.

Yep, Traore, AEG and JPB might all struggle to find a role in this system - JPB is still young and will probably get another loan, I think the other three will be moved on.

I think Aaron Ramsey will get another loan, Chukwuemeka covers Coutinho/Buendia and can also cover McGinn/Ramsey if we have more balance next to them, Barry will be a forward, he's more a backup to Watkins if he's not going out on loan again. 

But unless Gerrard has lost his mind. It's not Buendia or Coutinho and probably not Bailey (although also at risk)

There's almost nowhere to play for Lingard unless Gerrard has lost his mind - he's not the right type of player to cover for Buendia and Coutinho, we don't play with wide forwards and he's not going to push Cash out at right back. It's a silly idea.

The only role he would fit in is the one we've been trying to shoehorn Bailey into as a replacement for Buendia next to Coutinho when we were 4-3-2-1 - it didn't work with Bailey and it wouldn't work with Lingard.

1 hour ago, OutByEaster? said:

Short version: we're not going to be signing wide forwards.

100%. Expect us to ship out most of the ones we have too - AEG, Trez, Bailey and Traore all with a good chance of being sold.

• Like 1

I think Bailey will stay. He needs a full pre season and we can see what he can do next season. If it's not working out he can get a loan move in January. I still think he can play a part up front in some capacity. 

We won't get our £25m back for him this summer were he to be sold. Better to give him a chance and a Loan if it's not working. 

We only need one CF signed this summer in our attack.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

I think Bailey will stay. He needs a full pre season and we can see what he can do next season. If it's not working out he can get a loan move in January. I still think he can play a part up front in some capacity. 

We won't get our £25m back for him this summer were he to be sold. Better to give him a chance and a Loan if it's not working. 

We only need one CF signed this summer in our attack.

I still think he can be a big player for us. If Ings is starting upfront on his own, then Bailey would need to start on the right to provide the pace. Injuries have been a major problem as you said, but he also hasn't had a run of games yet. A full, injury free preseason, and a run of games is when we will see the best of him. So far hasn't been fully match fit a sharp in any of the games he played.

• Like 2

We are an easy link for Lingard. But ultimately unless we choose not to sign Coutinho, then Lingard will never enter our thoughts. If we chose not to sign Coutinho then he maybe considered, as not including El-Ghazi and Trez we don't have a natural left wideman. 

A DM, a combative midfielder, and a right centre back have to be the priority this summer.

I was very happy with how Chambers was used yesterday. As thats's exactly what we need in midfield, only a higher caliber. Feel McGinn is not suited to our system, his short passing, awareness, and decision making aren't quite upto scratch. But otherwise the midfield balance was good yesterday. A strong holding midfielder / haf back (Chambers), a box to box that playmakes from deep and is decent defensively (Luiz), and a box to box that drives forward with the ball, gets into goalscoring positions and links the midfield with the attack like Ramsey would have been perfect.

Konsa and Chambers are good players, but neither is a top CB. Mings is the closest to that, that we have, but he is not quite that. We need a top class centre back, along with a top class DM to provide the backbone that the team lacks. Everything else is fine tuning.

• Thanks 1

For me, we need the following:

RCB to play alongside Mings

DM

a prolific striker

back up left back

Coutinho

i’d raise funds by offloading

Gilbert (£5m)

Hause (£8m)

Trezeguet (£6m)

Targett (£15-20m)

El Ghazi (£8m)

Kalinic (nominal fee)

Davis (£8m)

Wesley (£2m)

Watkins and Ings finally gelling will i reckon mean a rethink of going after another striker .

And Bailey is a very good player who they have invested in heavily. There is no point in moving him on as no team would take a chance on him with all his injuries and poor form this season. So he is here to stay and i am glad about that. 

I would think that this would look something like our forward line next season

Coutinho - Buendia

Watkins - Ings 

Bailey  - Archer 

3 strikers and 3 no 10s or wide men is the right blend. 

With the 5 sub rule Archer will stay for at least the first half of the season and i think he will do well and keep his place in the squad. 

Davis  El Ghazi   Trez  and Traore will leave for a fee or on loan. Bidace and Barry will get another loan as well . 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, theboyangel said:

i’d raise funds by offloading

Gilbert (£5m)

Hause (£8m)

Trezeguet (£6m)

Targett (£15-20m)

El Ghazi (£8m)

Kalinic (nominal fee)

Davis (£8m)

Wesley (£2m)

Agree with all of these but you can add Luiz 25  mill  and Sanson and Traore  on loan  to the list.  

Hause will be at least 15 mill and will be worth it to a newly promoted club. He is left footed which means a big premium. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, MWARLEY2 said:

Agree with all of these but you can add Luiz 25  mill  and Sanson and Traore  on loan  to the list.  

Hause will be at least 15 mill and will be worth it to a newly promoted club. He is left footed which means a big premium. 

I don’t think anybody will pay £15m for Hause. 

4 minutes ago, MWARLEY2 said:

Hause £15m! We’ll get £2-3m for him, he’s never been first choice so why would a promoted team pay £15m for someone proven to be not good enough to get regular game time for a mid table side

• Like 1

Went the Arsenal Leeds game today with my step dad who’s a gunner. Some thoughts…

1) Phillips is not the answer to our needs. Certainly not for the prices touted. All he had to do all game was sit on odeguard, and he couldn’t get near him. 

2) Harrison would be an amazing addition if we decided to revert back to our previous strategies of playing with wingers and width. Huge upgrade on Bailey from what I’ve seen so far.

3) if arsenal are comfortably 4th….we can get there next year, they’re no great shakes!

52 minutes ago, Steero113 said:

Hause has been class every time he's been called on. He's titanic in the air and he has a goal in him too. 

He's been kept out of the side by an established England international. Take a look at this seasons promoted sides, would Hause walk into those defences? Absolutely yes.

When we came up we paid £20m for a player who had barely had a run at his last two sides, had a fairly dire injury record and was being outcast by the football titans Bournemouth. Hause is worth a lot more than £2m. 

Mings was constantly injured though and he joined us from Bournemouth for fitness reasons and he actually cost Bournemouth  quite a lot of money initially. Hause on the other hand just hasn’t been fancied as a regular starter since he signed, even in the championship he was in and out of the side behind Mings and Tuanzebe in the pecking order. I like Hause he’s not done anything wrong for us but he’s a squad player and won’t attract a proper PL-level valuation

We won't get £20m for Hause, but it should also be a lot more than £3m, we have to start getting good prices for our players, he's a proven competent Premier League defender, his worth should be approaching £10m, for £3m you probably wouldn't be able to sign an adequate Championship defender never mind a Premier League one.