Calum Chambers

His Name Is Death

I think its quite a savvy signing, he is a good age with a decent amount of experience and has done quite well for them over the years when called upon. Good chance for him to get more first team football and probably would have been a bigger player for them over the years had he not been injured at key times.

Also like how we can go under the radar and off-piste with our signings, not an inkling any of the press had any prior knowledge of this one. When opportunities like this arise and the situation moves quickly then its good to see we can capitalise on this type of thing.

7 hours ago, hippo said:

So when Ming's / Konsa gets injured. We have a player to slot in - who isn't as good.

Progress - but not as we know it.

Thats what backup players are. 

Not every signing can be a 10/10 beauty queen blockbuster costing £35m. We can't afford that!

Chambers was cheap. We can probably sell him in 18 months and make a tidy profit.

Its a no-brainer really when you think about it. A low risk deal. 

• Like 4

I expect he will play more than most on here think, will impress a few with his performances. got an eye for goal and adds a bit of height to our team when needed too. Plus, he can fill that defensive midfield spot if needed. When Nakamba got injured there was a big gap for a few games afterwards and he would have been ideal for that type of scenario.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, hippo said:

No - but not many teams do (hoof long balls,) . To me our attacking moves come from through balls for the full backs or Ollie Watkins to chase.

You need to watch us play more I think. Watch us in the next run of games especially at goal kicks and you'll see our desire to build from the back and dominate games more. 

5 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

You need to watch us play more I think. Watch us in the next run of games especially at goal kicks and you'll see our desire to build from the back and dominate games more. 

Build from the back AND dominate. !

I haven't heard Stevie G mention building from the back tbf. All he has said on tactics is there is no need to push on when ahead (after the Leicester game).

Tbh - I don't remember in recent times the villa GK launching a massive kick downfield and us picking up 2nd balls as a major tactic.

12 minutes ago, Xela said:

Thats what backup players are. 

Not every signing can be a 10/10 beauty queen blockbuster costing £35m. We can't afford that!

Chambers was cheap. We can probably sell him in 18 months and make a tidy profit.

Its a no-brainer really when you think about it. A low risk deal. 

Agreed. (Apart from the profit bit)

My only difference is I dont see this as a transfer master stroke. It's sort of Philippe senderos, calumn calderwood type of signing.

33 minutes ago, Villatillidie95 said:

I think its quite a savvy signing,

That’s my take. 

Clever signing that offers good experienced cover in 2/3 positions. 

28 minutes ago, brommy said:

Do you think anyone is claiming this as a transfer master stroke? I’ve read - sensible, low risk, provides back-up/versatility and savvy. Not claims that it’s a transfer master stroke.

It appears that some fans want every signing to be an improvement on the first 11. Without a 55+ game season involving Europe and extended cup runs, it is difficult to attract new first team players AND keep our current first team players at the club. For example, if we’d signed a £40m player to play ahead of Konsa for 35 games in our current season, Konsa would look to move elsewhere.

I’ve not seen anything yet to mistrust the current management team so I’ll trust there judgement on this one too. After all, they have access to far more club information and player data and are more experienced than most.

Of course it's difficult. . If it was easy managers wouldn't be so well paid.

• Haha 1

Had a look on the Arsenal fan forum , nothing but positive comments, plenty think him to be underrated and mentioned Leicester bid £20m for him few years ago. Chambers form at RB was the final nail in the coffin of Hector Bellarin’s  Arsenal career. 

6 hours ago, Villatillidie95 said:

I expect he will play more than most on here think, will impress a few with his performances. got an eye for goal and adds a bit of height to our team when needed too. Plus, he can fill that defensive midfield spot if needed. When Nakamba got injured there was a big gap for a few games afterwards and he would have been ideal for that type of scenario.

Eye for goal? He's scored a single PL goal in the past 3 seasons.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, hippo said:

Of course it's difficult. . If it was easy managers wouldn't be so well paid.

Er, yes.:rolleyes:

My comment was mainly around your comment that you differed in that you didn’t think this was a ‘transfer master stroke’ and I thought you would be able to answer who had stated it was a master stroke. Otherwise, how can you differ?

8 hours ago, Laughable Chimp said:

Eye for goal? He's scored a single PL goal in the past 3 seasons.

Exactly, he said 'eye' for goal, meaning 1 goal, single! He didn't say 'eyes' for goal...

Â