Robin Olsen

Loxstock92

2 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

He stopped a certain equaliser against Burnley, and then we went and got a third. Regardless of your assessment of him, he still deserves credit when it's due, as does any player who puts on that shirt. Your hypothesis doesn't make sense, Burnley are better than Hibs, he didn't lose us the game. In fact, I'm struggling to remember when he did cost us a game. I hope Emi is fit for Saturday, if not, then it's important that the fans get behind Olsen and hopefully he can draw more confidence from that support. 

It makes alot of sense.

Burnley were not good despite your analysis he has been in goal against 2 poor sides and didnt have much to do.

Yes give him credit for his saves but doesnt mean he is a good keeper.  He just causes panic, cant command his box,  shit at kicking the ball, and just does not inspire confidence to his defenders.

I just hope emis back on sunday otherwise its going to be a bloodbath

He's a funny one. Made some good saves but nearly Encklemanned one. Also his first action was to block a low hard cross and he just palmed it into the middle of the six yard box which you just can't do against better opposition. Is it just confidence? He just doesn't seem to have it. Hope a couple of decent games without costing us anything will do him the world of good, but I'd still feel happier with a better second choice keeper. It's a tough signing to make with such a dominant first choice keeper but I was hoping we'd be able to persuade someone if we offered cup time. Doesn't seem like it's going to happen though so hope this little run does him good, while also hoping that Martinez is back on Sunday. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

It makes alot of sense.

Burnley were not good despite your analysis he has been in goal against 2 poor sides and didnt have much to do.

Yes give him credit for his saves but doesnt mean he is a good keeper.  He just causes panic, cant command his box,  shit at kicking the ball, and just does not inspire confidence to his defenders.

I just hope emis back on sunday otherwise its going to be a bloodbath

He can't win. So if he plays Sunday and we manage to get something, it will be interesting how you sum up his performance, because Liverpool are certainly no poor team. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, birdman said:

He's a quality shot stopper who lacks command and precence in his area. I still maintain he'll improve from gametime this season. For the time being happy to have him as backup. Did well tonight.

Very few keepers are able to command the penalty area. We have had very few that were anything other than good shot stoppers. David James was the best I can remember, but he had the odd howler in him. Losing Mings hasn't helped, being so dominant in the air.

1 hour ago, sheepyvillian said:

Spot - on, it can't be easy when EMI sets such a high bar, but he has undoubtedly improved from the nervous,  mistake ridden keeper we had come to expect. It amazes me how some just find it easier to criticise that give credit when its deserved, and tonight it most certainly was.

Funny how people see it differently. At Burnley he played a terrible ball to Kamara when he wasn't even in open space.

Then near the end he comes flying out and Rodriguez really should've headed it into empty net.

The save he did make was pretty regulation as it was a header from near the edge of the box rather than close range.

So that's one of our easier prem away games when we were in cruise control bar 10 minutes.

I'm not sure a dead rubber european team is much to take from personally.

I'm not even that anti-Olsen really as I wasn't giving him stick when he conceded three at Man. City on his debut where some felt he should've done better but it's clear our defence simply dosen't have the same confidence if he''s in goal so that could well be a problem at key point this season.

Edited by VillaChris

If people bother to look at every teams back up keepers the majority are no better than Olsen, several I'd argue are worse. Even top teams.  Car crash Carson is at City. Just pointless constantly moaning about this. If Emery thinks he's adequate that's that

Edited by Kiwivillan
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

If people bother to look at every teams back up keepers the majority are no better than Olsen, several I'd argue are worse. Even top teams.  Car crash Carson is at City. Just pointless constantly moaning about this. If Emery thinks he's adequate that's that

Strongly agree.

43 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

yes, everyone who dares question any aspect of the competency of our backup keeper must be unfamiliar with all other reserve goal keepers otherwise they would just post “adequate match from Olsen as Emery knew it would be” after every appearance. 

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Kiwivillan said:

Carson is 3rd choice at best though. 4th if Steffen doesn't go on loan again.

4 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Funny how people see it differently. At Burnley he played a terrible ball to Kamara when he wasn't even in open space.

Then near the end he comes flying out and Rodriguez really should've headed it into empty net.

The save he did make was pretty regulation as it was a header from near the edge of the box rather than close range.

So that's one of our easier prem away games when we were in cruise control bar 10 minutes.

I'm not sure a dead rubber european team is much to take from personally.

I'm not even that anti-Olsen really as I wasn't giving him stick when he conceded three at Man. City on his debut where some felt he should've done better but it's clear our defence simply dosen't have the same confidence if he''s in goal so that could well be a problem at key point this season.

Its amazing what you see when you’re looking for confirmation bias.

I’m fairly sure that Burnley away will be a very difficult game for most teams in the league. We just played extremely well and should credit all the players (including Olsen) for that performance. 

The jury remains out on Olsen and I suspect for many will continue to do so. We just need to get behind him now and give him the support and confidence to continue to improve in every game he plays for us. We can then reassess in January. 

The problem with Olsen is that he’s indecisive. It’s like he’s saying to himself “that player is getting bigger, oh shit I need to move forward….”.

He collects aimless punts by his 6 yard box instead of the edge of 18 yard box. He’s always looks like he’s on his heels. 

However today he made some very good stops and he’s okay as a shot stopper but he needs to be more decisive in his other actions. Reminds me of Trigger from only fools…..

• Like 1

Â