Lucas Digne

villan-scott

I’m not sure tbh. UE likes pace out wide and Digne just does not have enough pace to regularly beat his man. Hence the reason he is looking to bring in Moreno who is much quicker. Digne’s attacking strength is crossing but I think UE wants a pacy full back who can drive forward into opposition box more and cut back for the strikers as opposed to just crossing it in. 

7 hours ago, Junxs said:

Not having it, Targett was our player of the year the season before we replaced him. Was a joy watching him and Grealish work together down the left. 

Digne I'm still waiting to see him have a good game. Apart from that free kick v man utd he's been poor. Especially considering how much he cost and his wages. 

I think he looked good because of Grealish. Any left back would have looked better with Jack in front of him. He was nowhere near the same player when he was sold. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, eholm said:

I’m not sure tbh. UE likes pace out wide and Digne just does not have enough pace to regularly beat his man. Hence the reason he is looking to bring in Moreno who is much quicker. Digne’s attacking strength is crossing but I think UE wants a pacy full back who can drive forward into opposition box more and cut back for the strikers as opposed to just crossing it in. 

Emery has said he wants players with different attributes and different qualities. It makes total sense as if he has a big squad of quality players with different attributes and skills he has all the flexibility he needs for his game plans and tactical changes. 

Digne / Moreno looks a good LB pairing with different attributes but both attacking.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

Emery has said he wants players with different attributes and different qualities. It makes total sense as if he has a big squad of quality players with different attributes and skills he has all the flexibility he needs for his game plans and tactical changes. 

Digne / Moreno looks a good LB pairing with different attributes but both attacking.

Excellent points - and if I may add, it’s a squad game and we need to get away from the idea that a transfer means replacing one player entirely. We need quality additions. 

Agree. However, I just can’t see Digne willing to sit in bench for a prolonged period at his stage of his career - and Moreno would prob be more ofa starter as he will be UE’s man. It would be great to have that depth at LB but I could see Digne moving on in summer so we can recoup a decent fee and a younger LB coming in. 

11 minutes ago, eholm said:

Agree. However, I just can’t see Digne willing to sit in bench for a prolonged period at his stage of his career - and Moreno would prob be more ofa starter as he will be UE’s man. It would be great to have that depth at LB but I could see Digne moving on in summer so we can recoup a decent fee and a younger LB coming in. 

I could.  We’re paying him too much so unless he took a pay cut he’s going nowhere. Maybe a loan if he wants to play more football. 

I don’t think he’s shit but he definitely isn’t on it at the moment.

I thought at the time it was too expensive a move.  To be worthwhile he would need to come in and be consistently good for at least 2 seasons to be worth the depreciation in his value for the latter half of his contract.  I'd have kept Targett and got a younger left back in, who hopefully would by now have taken over as first choice.  I'm not too keen on replacing him with another 29 year old tbh, though hopefully Moreno is top notch.  I've not seen him play.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, turvontour said:

What of Lucas Digne then if a new left back is coming in?

Nowhere - Moreno is a different type of player and Emery is very much a chopper and changer based on the opposition. 

4 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

Our club has wasted a truckload of money in recent years. 

Mentioned earlier in one of the threads, if 37yr old Ashley Young could be cloned you’d probably have one at LB, one at RB, and maybe even one at 10. 

Crazy given the money we’ve spent. 

On 07/01/2023 at 09:08, Xela said:

I think he looked good because of Grealish. Any left back would have looked better with Jack in front of him. He was nowhere near the same player when he was sold. 

He did, but Targett was also intelligent with his positioning in attack. Targett was also superb at playing into-feet passes into dangerous areas.

I don't think Digne will be going anywhere, and I doubt at 29 on £160k a week he'll be in much of a hurry like Targett to leave.  

He hasn't been amazing but hasn't been terrible either, i've no issue with him staying and fighting for his place.

We had a scenario after signing Digne and Targett leaving when Digne got injured, and we had no left back.  So, I wouldn't be in a rush to ship him out, we need quality cover.

Â