Lucas Digne

villan-scott

42 minutes ago, Tom13 said:

The thing is, Digne isn't tidy on the ball. There has been a few games where his short passing has been atrocious, his touch is often poor, and he panicks, as rodders said. The back heel to no-one against Wolves highlighted perfectly how panicky he is when pressed.

Him and Mings have absolute zero chemistry as well. Has been a number of times Mings passed to him and he ran on and it went for a throw in

I know this seems completely unfair because I’ve no reason at all to doubt Dignes character, but at 29 I just feel like he may want out if we sign another LB. 

5 minutes ago, av1 said:

I know this seems completely unfair because I’ve no reason at all to doubt Dignes character, but at 29 I just feel like he may want out if we sign another LB. 

Why? Like we use 5 subs nearly every game and I feel that this attacking left back position is one where we'll need two quality players in squad and most weeks both will feature

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Starting to see why Rafa didn’t fancy him now.

How has it taken you so long, he offers next to nothing going forward and isn’t much better in defence. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Zatman said:

Him and Mings have absolute zero chemistry as well. Has been a number of times Mings passed to him and he ran on and it went for a throw in

To be fair - when Buendia moves inside and Digne hugs the left - it rarely makes sense for Mings to pass it to him because Digne's so isolated.

For whatever reason, Digne almost never passes it down the line to Buendia making the run behind FB/CB and he can't take his man on so it almost always goes back to Mings and/or whoever is closer from Luiz/Kamara.

One of our more painful passing sequences to watch. Mings > Digne > Mings or Mings > Digne > hopeless deep cross

The rare times Digne is on the end of a move and crosses or passes it first time, it can look dangerous, but usually ineffective as well. His last assist for us was Digne > Cash during the City game to end the 2022 season.

Otherwise he ranks 9th in xAG per 90 on the team despite being first on the team on crosses into the 18 per 90.

Edited by DJBOB
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

He’s been ok in some games.

Being Ok in some games isn’t good enough for the money we paid. He is also on a ridiculous contract for a player of his ability. 

1 minute ago, PaulC said:

Are we writing him off already 

he's a good player.

The problem is, for the money we paid, and the wages he is on (165k p/w?), he really doesnt justify that kind of money, he's "good", but he has zero athleticism and runs like he is in treacle, it really shows when he is trying to get up and down the line.

Its a difficult one, as he is a good player in a certain style, but i think he just isnt the player we need, and we got our pants pulled down with his contract etc, no way is anyone else gonna offer him 165k a week, or anywhere close.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

he's a good player.

The problem is, for the money we paid, and the wages he is on (165k p/w?), he really doesnt justify that kind of money, he's "good", but he has zero athleticism and runs like he is in treacle, it really shows when he is trying to get up and down the line.

Its a difficult one, as he is a good player in a certain style, but i think he just isnt the player we need, and we got our pants pulled down with his contract etc, no way is anyone else gonna offer him 165k a week, or anywhere close.

Didn't realise we are paying him that much.  Going to be hard to shift then.

I think he’s fine for where we are and what we are aiming for right now (eg top half finish). 

However always good to have competition and different options. 

Emery gets what he wants right now. If he doesn’t want Lucas that’s fine by me. 

59 minutes ago, PaulC said:

Are we writing him off already 

He's the latest scapegoat. 

Miles better than Targett and more than good enough for where we are at the moment and where we are aiming for in the next 12-18 months IMO

Edited by Xela
  • Like 3

25 minutes ago, Xela said:

Miles better than Targett and more than good enough for where we are at the moment and where we are aiming for in the next 12-18 months IMO

The wage is a red herring, people just want to find an excuse to write him off as a failure. To attract quality, you have to pay for it, and I hope Lucas finds form again to shut this rubbish up. Any bad performance certain people jump on the thread to bash him.

Edited by The_Steve
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Xela said:

Not having it, Targett was our player of the year the season before we replaced him. Was a joy watching him and Grealish work together down the left. 

Digne I'm still waiting to see him have a good game. Apart from that free kick v man utd he's been poor. Especially considering how much he cost and his wages. 

Â