Lucas Digne

villan-scott

6 minutes ago, The Moustache of Teale said:

To be fair he’s rarely let us down - he’s a good solid left-back. It’s only this bizarre notion that his weekly salary is more than the GDP of a China that’s held against him. 

Mostly because they can’t criticise the first part of your point so they focus on a straw man. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, VillaJay said:

Played very well and he's a very good footballer, with top technical ability. I still don't think he's suited to how we want to play though, Moreno has that ability to beat a man and cut back from the byline, similar to the Bailey assist today, Digne is better suited to a team with a strong Target man.

Pretty much this… we won’t usually be relying on crosses… our build up play is more intricate and Moreno brings so much more to the table…

A good pro but I just don’t think he’s an Unai player or fits what Unai wants… there’s more than one reason why we brought in Moreno and want to add another in that position.

We won’t play shite like Everton every week either nor will our LB have so much space to exploit so often…

7 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

Pretty much this… we won’t usually be relying on crosses… our build up play is more intricate and Moreno brings so much more to the table…

A good pro but I just don’t think he’s an Unai player or fits what Unai wants… there’s more than one reason why we brought in Moreno and want to add another in that position.

We won’t play shite like Everton every week either nor will our LB have so much space to exploit so often…

Agree. Have not seen him beat a man. He had so much space to bring the ball to the penalty box but all he does all day is lazily crossing… it’s too one dimension and better teams will not give him that much space ..

34 minutes ago, The Moustache of Teale said:

To be fair he’s rarely let us down - he’s a good solid left-back. It’s only this bizarre notion that his weekly salary is more than the GDP of a China that’s held against him. 

He's not been that great either tbf and today's performance is not the average that we've seen from him. It was a very encouraging performance today, though, and I'm sure we'd love to see him replicate it more often that not. 

• Like 1

He was excellent today, not troubled defensively and got forward well and put in some excellent crosses. If we feel we can bring in a upgrade then fine let let him go otherwise he is comfortably good enough to again compete with Moreno.

2 minutes ago, Digavilla said:

Agree. Have not seen him beat a man. He had so much space to bring the ball to the penalty box but all he does all day is lazily crossing… it’s too one dimension and better teams will not give him that much space ..

Cannot disagree with this at all… 

Also, no point constantly crossing if there’s no one there to get on the end of it… we don’t really have those kinds of players… and I prefer it that way. We normally play an intricate passing game which is much easier on the eye and produces more consistent and more clear cut chances…

Edited by Jas10
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

Cannot disagree with this at all… 

Also, no point constantly crossing if there’s no one there to get on the end of it… we don’t really have those kinds of players… and I prefer it that way. We normally play an intricate passing game which is much easier on the eye and produces more consistent and more clear cut chances…

Totally agreed. It make sense to do all day crossing if we are still in 2000 with big John still in the middle. 

He should have drive into the box , try to beat or at least draw 1 or 2 defenders to him , to free up space in the middle for Watkin/ Strikers to explore , ala our first goal with Bailey going to the byline … 

8 minutes ago, Digavilla said:

Totally agreed. It make sense to do all day crossing if we are still in 2000 with big John still in the middle. 

He should have drive into the box , try to beat or at least draw 1 or 2 defenders to him , to free up space in the middle for Watkin/ Strikers to explore , ala our first goal with Bailey going to the byline … 

You are speaking my language my friend 👏

54 minutes ago, Leeroy said:

Really good today. Even though I like Acuna I want Digne to stay and he's a good two years younger. Gets far too much unwarranted stick on here just because of his wages. And him and Moreno is good enough for us this season.

It's right back that needs upgrading because Cash shouldn't be a nailed on starter for us. 

I think that's just a bit of a joke. He mainly gets unnecessary stick I think because he was a Gerrard player. Any player connnected to Gerrard has to be twice as good to keep the wolves at bay. 

• Like 2

I agree that Moreno’s skill set generally suits our attacking style better than Digne, e.g. taking on players in the box as opposed to crosses; but I imagine if Emery didn’t want him to be playing crosses today he would have communicated that and instructed him to play a different way? I don’t think we necessarily need an archetypal target man for crosses to be effective, what we do have are quick/skilled players that are capable of flashing across defenders towards goal and connecting however hey can. We were unlucky not to score on more than one of those instances today. 

Â