Lucas Digne

villan-scott

8 minutes ago, DJBOB said:

Would be surprised if this didn’t happen now. Whatever does happen, a good pro - always putting in solid performances even if he doesn’t fit the system and was brought on by a different manager. 

https://x.com/fabrizioromano/status/1693345021561356433?s=46&t=7xbyQc9iTNKPf9yZHVZH2g

A loan with buy option ffs. What's the point!!!!

1 minute ago, Risso said:

I trust Emery implicitly, but to me selling an experienced and good left back like Digne, when we've got two first choice defenders out, in order to possibly bring someone in like Acuna who is older and untried in the Premier League is a bit of a risk. Digne was excellent today. my MOTM after McGinn.

honestly think it's a money/FFP thing. acuna will be on less than half digne's salary

9 minutes ago, DJBOB said:

Would be surprised if this didn’t happen now. Whatever does happen, a good pro - always putting in solid performances even if he doesn’t fit the system and was brought on by a different manager. 

https://x.com/fabrizioromano/status/1693345021561356433?s=46&t=7xbyQc9iTNKPf9yZHVZH2g

I really don't get this. I wonder if we'll still be paying half his wages as well?  There is no way Nice can afford £125k/wk even without a loan fee.

3 minutes ago, Risso said:

I trust Emery implicitly, but to me selling an experienced and good left back like Digne, when we've got two first choice defenders out, in order to possibly bring someone in like Acuna who is older and untried in the Premier League is a bit of a risk. Digne was excellent today. my MOTM after McGinn.

Yeah, it was possibly his best game in a Villa shirt today, good send off if he’s goes but I think Moreno would have had a field day today against that Everton team. It was like Everton were happy for him to have the ball, he was in 20 yards of space every time he received it. I’m not knocking him though as you can only play what is in front of you. If Emery thinks Acuna is the right man then it will do for me. 

6 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

honestly think it's a money/FFP thing. acuna will be on less than half digne's salary

If we sold him yes, loan really doesn't help us as much in FFP as he returns to us at the end. 

2 hours ago, grantholtgolazo said:

I agree that Moreno’s skill set generally suits our attacking style better than Digne, e.g. taking on players in the box as opposed to crosses; but I imagine if Emery didn’t want him to be playing crosses today he would have communicated that and instructed him to play a different way? I don’t think we necessarily need an archetypal target man for crosses to be effective, what we do have are quick/skilled players that are capable of flashing across defenders towards goal and connecting however hey can. We were unlucky not to score on more than one of those instances today. 

People forget our penalty came from Bailey winning a header and knocking it down to Watkins. 

• Like 1

Bit odd we’re doing Nice another favour in loaning Digne & Sanson… I guess loaning him out for a season helps with his amortisation so we don’t lose book much money on him  when we look to sell … If today was his last game what a performance to sign off with ! 

Edited by thabucks

13 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

11 minutes ago, ender4 said:

I really don't get this. I wonder if we'll still be paying half his wages as well?  There is no way Nice can afford £125k/wk even without a loan fee.

Could just be a player request. Maybe Digne wants to move back to France. I don’t think Nice are even in any European competitions. 

15 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

If we loan Digne out though and buy Acuña surely we are worse off financially. I reckon it could just be that Digne isn't Emery's sort of player.

1 minute ago, villan95 said:

If we loan Digne out though and buy Acuña surely we are worse off financially. I reckon it could just be that Digne isn't Emery's sort of player.

It appears Emery wants a quick LB who can dribble with the ball, so really a winger but who can play LB and crucially get up and down the left side

22 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

My thoughts exactly. Doesnt help with FFP we get nothing out of it as im dure we will be contributing towards wages too.

If its to sell for a good fee then yeah im all on board. But this will be a poor deal for us.

• Like 1

A loan would be fine if there was an obligation to buy next season…

but an option to buy gives us no guarantee and the potential return of an out of favour player on massive wages who we initially paid a big transfer fee for…

Making him all the more difficult to shift then…

🤦‍♂️

• Like 1

Digne was very good today but he'll have fewer days easier. His biggest test was the amount of running he had to do given Everton gave him the entirety of Villa Park to maraud into.

The only reason you'd sell him is his contract, he's a good solid PL left back with a wicked cross. But he's on mental money and we need to be cute with the finances.

Â