Lucas Digne

villan-scott

18 minutes ago, lapal_fan said:

Habib Beye was on £4,000,050 a week in 2008.  A famous MoN contract. He only played about 12 times for us as a 32 year old signing!

People have got to stop getting their knickers in twist over us having 2 extremely good players for 1 position.  Moreno won't be on more than £50-60k you'd think (3.5m a season according to a Google search), so really we've got good coverage for £150-200k for that position. 

Injuries and fatigue will play a part this year and we need the depth. 

I find it pretty ironic that the people who moan about having Digne on high wages are also the same people moaning about Olsen being back up for Emi M..  WHAT THE **** DO YOU ACTUALLY WANT?  You get what you pay for. :lol: 

Leave the finances to the pro's, not people who might work in finance and think they know how all this shit works.  

I don't know if it's a uniquely Villa thing, but we're a oddly conditioned bunch. We're a big team and want to win things, but we get fixated on having a first XI, or get nervous when paying bigger wages. I mentioned it before but Digne's (and Coutinho's) wages wouldn't put them in the top 10 at Liverpool, Man Ure or Chelsea. I can imagine similar at Arsenal, Man City too. That's practically a whole team at each club that would earn more than him. 

If we're going to play in the big boys pool as a big club, it is unfortunately part of the game now. Digne will be a very important part of the squad this season, especially with Moreno injured. 

To add: he also seems a decent character, and took on the challenge of Unai bringing his own man in to the extent that the left-backs were sharing game time successfully.

Edited by StanBalaban
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, StanBalaban said:

I don't know if it's a uniquely Villa thing, but we're a oddly conditioned bunch. We're a big team and want to win things, but we get fixated on having a first XI, or get nervous when paying bigger wages. I mentioned it before but Digne's (and Coutinho's) wages wouldn't put them in the top 10 at Liverpool, Man Ure or Chelsea. I can imagine similar at Arsenal, Man City too. That's practically a whole team at each club that would earn more than him. 

If we're going to play in the big boys pool as a big club, it is unfortunately part of the game now. Digne will be a very important part of the squad this season, especially with Moreno injured. 

To add: he also seems a decent character, and took on the challenge of Unai bringing his own man in to the extent that the left-backs were sharing game time successfully.

I saw similar comments about spending ‘too much’ on Diaby. It’s about time we started spending bigger on proven and exciting talent. We can’t just rely on unearthing gems. 

4 minutes ago, TheMightyVillans said:

When digne signed Targett didn't want to compete and wanted to leave straight away.

When Moreno signed digne was happy to fight for his spot and has worked hard. Ended up playing ahead of Moreno in certain matches last season and was amazing against Brighton on the final day.

This is the attitude and mentality you want in your squad. 

Exactly! Digne is a consummate pro and a very useful squad member. Really nice cross for the assist against Fulham. Having him and Moreno competing for the spot will bring the best out of them alongside Unai's coaching. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, TheMightyVillans said:

When digne signed Targett didn't want to compete and wanted to leave straight away.

When Moreno signed digne was happy to fight for his spot and has worked hard. Ended up playing ahead of Moreno in certain matches last season and was amazing against Brighton on the final day.

In the build-up to the match against Fulham it was mentioned somewhere that Digne wants to stay and fight for his place and Emery respects that.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, TheMightyVillans said:

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr... don't even get me started on Fatt Targett. 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, TheMightyVillans said:

100% I specifically remember him coming on against Brentford away when we got the late point. We were getting bullied and he came on and put his body on the line in every challenge and really helped change the game. Certainly a player who doesn't shirk responsibility. 

7 hours ago, TheMightyVillans said:

He stayed because he's on £160k a week. No one will take him.

10 hours ago, lapal_fan said:

Habib Beye was on £4,000,050 a week in 2008.  A famous MoN contract. He only played about 12 times for us as a 32 year old signing!

Another stupid deal. There's a lot of stupid people in football.

10 hours ago, lapal_fan said:

Leave the finances to the pro's, not people who might work in finance and think they know how all this shit works.  

Purslow bent over because his pal Gerrard demanded the signing. They didn't know what they were doing. Monchi and Emery wouldn't have signed him for £25m and paid him over £30m.

Everytime this thread gets bumped I keep thinking I'll read he's dislocated his shoulder in one of the friendlies or training!

Genuinely interested what we'd do if he picks up a knock between now and end of August, just sticking Mings there might be o.k v Newcastle but would be less effective v an Everton or Burnley. And you certainly don't want to move him from centre given how imperious he was at end of last season.

Could see SJM having a game or two there.

Given how often we're playing in August it's a concern given how fragile Digne has been with injuries in his 18 months. He needs to stay fit while we wait for Moreno to return.

5 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Everytime this thread gets bumped I keep thinking I'll read he's dislocated his shoulder in one of the friendlies or training!

Genuinely interested what we'd do if he picks up a knock between now and end of August, just sticking Mings there might be o.k v Newcastle but would be less effective v an Everton or Burnley. And you certainly don't want to move him from centre given how imperious he was at end of last season.

Could see SJM having a game or two there.

Given how often we're playing in August it's a concern given how fragile Digne has been with injuries in his 18 months. He needs to stay fit while we wait for Moreno to return.

Think we’d play Revan, and ask midfield to help him out a little more

• Shocked 1

21 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Everytime this thread gets bumped I keep thinking I'll read he's dislocated his shoulder in one of the friendlies or training.

Probably puts his shoulder out picking up his wallet.

AMIRITE?

21 hours ago, MaVilla said:

tbh he has been very good whenever called on under Emery.

He's no Moreno tho.

And that’s the beauty of it different type of left back for different situations.

Â