Lucas Digne

villan-scott

1 hour ago, Sulberto21 said:

Not hijacking the transfer thread - but Digne was France’s number one choice at LB until very recently. He is better than Targett. 

Doesn't mean he was a good signing. It was silly Gerrard indulgence.

5 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

Doesn't mean he was a good signing. It was silly Gerrard indulgence.

Oh I agree for the money it’s a stupid signing. He’s not quick enough for Emery and he wasn’t quick enough for Gerrard’s stupid tactics which makes it even more baffling for the money we paid.

highest paid player at the club. If he was on half and for no more than £15million then worth a very risky punt.

in isolation a decent enough left back but as it’s been said way overpriced. 

Jose Gaya or David Raum are two left backs who I’d like to see us try and prise away from their current clubs. 

6 hours ago, Sulberto21 said:

Oh I agree for the money it’s a stupid signing. He’s not quick enough for Emery and he wasn’t quick enough for Gerrard’s stupid tactics which makes it even more baffling for the money we paid.

highest paid player at the club. If he was on half and for no more than £15million then worth a very risky punt.

in isolation a decent enough left back but as it’s been said way overpriced. 

Jose Gaya or David Raum are two left backs who I’d like to see us try and prise away from their current clubs. 

Raum just signed for Leipzig so be hard to sign. He has also been one of the players blamed for Germany poor World Cup

I do hate the lazy Emery doesn't like Digne, Emery doesn't like Martinez etc.. from previous time with them.

Digne joined Barcelona for a fee up to 20m a few days after Emery took over at PSG. So he doesn't know Digne at all that transfer was essentially done by time he took over and Digne wouldn't be turning down a chance to join Barca in 2016.

We need another left back because we have only one senior full back permanently at the club. Augustinsson was clearly a stop gap temporary solution

3 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

His set piece play is also much better and I thought his defensive work was actually pretty good against Spurs. 

The scapegoating and circular arguments about Gerrard seem to clog up discussions of Lucas and Philippe which is massively unfair. 

I commented that was only wondering if the wages vs value added up, and if we could have, or could get a better all round ( More athletic )LB than him at a lower cost.

Not denying the qualities and pedigree he does have at all though. ( The freekick goal and some of his deliveries are examples of that )

You are right to point out that some people purely want to be more critical of them due to their dislike of SG though.

Everyone should get a clean slate imo.

13 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

His set piece play is also much better and I thought his defensive work was actually pretty good against Spurs. 

The scapegoating and circular arguments about Gerrard seem to clog up discussions of Lucas and Philippe which is massively unfair. 

Targett was one of the main benefactors from playing behind and on the same side as Grealish.

Jack was a ball magnet and would often have players doubling up on him.  The opposition player that was supposed to cover our left back was having to follow Grealish, giving Targett plenty of time and space to play in. 

Digne would have looked like prime Roberto Carlos playing with Jack.

• Like 3

Digne registered four assists under the crap Gerrard served up and scored a top class free kick against United in 28 league games so far. In 83 games, Targett registered 5 assists and three goals. If you can’t why we upgraded well, good luck is all I say. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, lexicon said:

It's quite bizarre tbh. Digne, for me, is clearly a much, much better player than Targett and we got him for a song in today's market. I'd also add that I hate Gerrard more than just about anyone 😂

Think I may hate him more 

• Haha 1

Digne is better than Target but I still think he’s a liability defensively. Seems to end up on the wrong side of attackers a lot and then rely’s on dangerously nudging them to get away with it. Not pressing issue but an area we need to strengthen at some point imo.

1 hour ago, Delphinho123 said:

It's weird, I think Digne is a good player and I quite like him, but it doesn't mean I think it was a good signing. I actually think it was a stupid signing given the sums involved. 

I think people are being deliberately obtuse over Digne. Dunno why.

It was indeed a moronic signing.

Lots of revisionism over Targett as well. I don't think Digne has put in a single defensive display as good as about 20 of Targett's in the season he got POTS.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

I think people are being deliberately obtuse over Digne. Dunno why.

It was indeed a moronic signing.

Lots of revisionism over Targett as well. I don't think Digne has put in a single defensive display as good as about 20 of Targett's in the season he got POTS.

👆Not sure if you've done this on purpose??

Â