Philippe Coutinho

Wainy316

6 hours ago, CVByrne said:

I think if he comes on in the second striker role he's most effective. I think he doesn't have the physicality, work rate and defensive positional understanding to play Left Mid - Buendia/Ramsey seem the natural players for that position. 

HE actually looks physically stronger to me than he used to, like he's been hitting the weights, since the end of last season.

31 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

HE actually looks physically stronger to me than he used to, like he's been hitting the weights, since the end of last season.

I more meant fitness really. He may have desire but his fitness isn't there to be up to it physically for the LM role

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sulberto21 said:

As per @CVByrne I think he’s an option for the second striker role now after all his injuries. Decent finisher and he’ll always find a bit of space.

Yeah he's a good finisher and his progressive passing and talent for the final pass and on the turn. He can drop deep from front line turn and play the first time pass. If he operates in that freedom he's most effective. Especially against low block teams

• Like 1

11 hours ago, lexicon said:

I don't think Emery would have given him any time in the pre-season if he didn't think he was committed. TBH I haven't seen Coutinho play as you've described i.e. not arsed. I don't think that is his character. 

Yeah, not arsed isn't the right way to describe it I suppose. Like, at Liverpool he was incredible, he gets a dream move to Barca. Then all of a sudden despite being an incredible talent his form fell off a cliff. He hit the ground running here after not performing for ages, then his form dropped off here too, albeit in a side that was a Gerrard coached mess.

I got closer when talking about motivation and having been the best player on the pitch never getting out of second gear. I don't pretend to know what's in his head but I was saying his problems aren't physical. He has a good burst of acceleration and change of pace, the only explanation I can come close to is it's a mentality thing. 

11 hours ago, lexicon said:

I don't think Emery would have given him any time in the pre-season if he didn't think he was committed. TBH I haven't seen Coutinho play as you've described i.e. not arsed. I don't think that is his character. 

This is one of the myths people spew when you say that you dont rate him. He is obviously a likeable guy plus a good character and irrelevant who signed him but he hasn't looked good for about 4 seasons

If Unai resurrects him it could be his greatest achievement. So many false dawns so far

I think it's between him and McGinn to cover that left midfield slot until Ramsey is back firing again. It requires someone who can run with the ball through crowded central areas more than a Lacey winger type ala Bailey. Ramsey should be in contention by the end of the month apparently so not that long. Hopefully we will not miss Buendia that much. We do have a lot of attacking options now. Ridiculous to see people claim that we are light on options in that area.

3 hours ago, maqroll said:

Redemption opportunity for Phillipe if he's not sold.

Still think we’ll sell if a decent offer comes in. You can’t not sell a depreciating asset on megabucks who can’t stay fit if an opportunity arises, regardless of how we all know he CAN play. 

Â