Philippe Coutinho

Wainy316

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

We should have a one way opinion on the game as if we are a North Korean forum 

I agree we were brilliant then everybody was great today. I couldn't believe it was not 80-0 and Coutinho didnt get 43 assists. All hail our supreme leader 

Remember to say it with a smile or you maybe shot. 

Edited by Made In Aston

When our 4 best players were on the pitch together they played some lovely intricate stuff and dominated the game.

Ramsey, Luiz , Buendia and Coutinho. In case people were wondering who they are.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Sulberto21 said:

When our 4 best players were on the pitch together they played some lovely intricate stuff and dominated the game.

Ramsey, Digne , Buendia and Coutinho. In case people were wondering who they are.

Corrected for you

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

I want him here, but he is too good for us. Seems to be finding it hard to find a player ready for that pass.

You would be frustrated, giving all the skills, to look up and no one is there.

this argument is akin burying your head in the sand. these are premier league footballers he's playing with. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, abdomlahor said:

this argument is akin burying your head in the sand. these are premier league footballers he's playing with. 

Stop talking rubbish. It’s a valid point, we had the same with JPA early on, the bloke likes to pass the ball and half our midfield don’t move. 

Burnley are (at least for the next 2 games) PL players but do you think someone like Bernardo Silva would enjoy playing in there team?  

33 minutes ago, abdomlahor said:

So bring Salah into this team and he would score as many goals as he does in the Liverpool team. I wish Coutinho could run the show, but if you haven't got players on his level, it's not going to take time to work, an that player becomes frustrated.

Simple facts are he was able to score and assist early in his Villa career but hasnt for 9 games now. We then decided to purchase him during this long run of no goals and no assists and then in his first game since signing he wasnt very good at all. 

The reasons for that could be that other teams have worked him out , or if we have little control of the ball it means he cannot get on it in the right areas, or he has lost all his ability in the last 2 months .

I am going with option b . 

Well in those same 9 games Buendia has managed 1 goal and 3 assists in less than half the time on the pitch, did Coutinho soften the opposition up for him?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, av1 said:

Stop talking rubbish. It’s a valid point, we had the same with JPA early on, the bloke likes to pass the ball and half our midfield don’t move. 

Burnley are (at least for the next 2 games) PL players but do you think someone like Bernardo Silva would enjoy playing in there team?  

we're hardly burnley though are we? people seem to think we've got cloggers in there with him. douglas luiz is his brazil team mate and digne who he links up with a lot is a france international. 

40 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

So bring Salah into this team and he would score as many goals as he does in the Liverpool team. I wish Coutinho could run the show, but if you haven't got players on his level, it's not going to take time to work, an that player becomes frustrated.

if you put salah into our team he would make us a lot better. he might not score as many as he does for liverpool but he would be a clear upgrade for our team in terms of goals. i just think he offers very little at the moment and I don't think it's fair to blame other players for it.

Coutinho wasn't even that bad today, was average for most of the game, wasn't that he was actually playing badly it was just that he was dropping too deep, but I don't think that was his fault, he was having to drop deep to pick up the ball, because our midfielder was so poor in possession.

When Ramsey and then Buendia came on, he improved, and looked pretty decent for the final fifteen or so minutes, Buendia getting praise for his performance after coming on, but I think he and Coutinho's performance was pretty similar in the time when they were on the pitch together, both were good.

• Like 1

Thought he was very good today, seemed to play deeper, almost in a 4 man midfield in the first half and was always on the ball. Looked very up for it,  needs more time with our team so they start to understand the runs he will make. Often appears at the edge of the box but his team mates don't find him.

2 minutes ago, useless said:

Coutinho wasn't even that bad today, was average for most of the game, wasn't that he was actually playing badly it was just that he was dropping too deep, but I don't think that was his fault, he was having to drop deep to pick up the ball, because our midfielder was so poor in possession.

When Ramsey and then Buendia came on, he improved, and looked pretty decent for the final fifteen or so minutes, Buendia getting praise for his performance after coming on, but I think he and Coutinho's performance was pretty similar in the time when they were on the pitch together, both were good.

I think he was our best player in the first half. A nice pedestrian pace from both teams allowed him to have the ball.

Couldn’t disagree more about their performances when Emi and Phil were on the pitch being the same level. Buendia was by far the standout but I agree that Coutinho gave him the ball and linked with him well. 

I think people are going overboard with how good Buendia has been recently, rating him highly is all very fine, but can guarantee that as soon as he has a game where he doesn't play so well, people will be unfairly criticizing him because he's not living up to the unrealistic standards that some are currently making for him. He's been playing well, but all this talk of him being better than Coutinho is untrue, and actually unfair on Buendy as it places unfair expectations on him.

He might have had a few performances where he's played better than Coutinho, but that doesn't make him a better player than Coutinho, and there's no shame in that as not many players can say that they're better than Coutinho.

In the summer when Buendia signed the same thing happened, he was being hyped up as we'd signed some sort of galectico, rather than a player for around £30m from Norwich who at that point had only scored a couple of goals in the premier league, and when the season started as soon as he didn't look as good as the hype, people were being negative about him and declaring it a poor signing, even though he wasn't actually playing that bad, and with the way people have been going on about him recently I feel there's a danger of that happening again.

• Like 1

For me there is no doubt that Coutinho at his best is better than Buendia at his best. However right now it seems clear Buendia is in a stronger moment of form. I worry a bit that Gerrards history with Philippe doesn’t allow him to see that. 

We should be picking the best player for each game not the best name. 

Didn’t think Countino played great today but wasn’t awful it was a very meh performance. Wasn’t helped by the three behind him who really struggled today. Tuesdays efforts showing big time, particularly on Nakamba who was very poor today. 

Still massively pleased to have Countinho - a good pre season will do him the world of good. 

Edited by villaglint

He needs players moving off him and exploiting the space he generates when he pulls defenders / midfielders out of position, but at times it looks like all we want to do is cut back into the middle and pass sideways and backwards. Not even a player like Coutinho can create chances when none of the team mates are trying to make anything happen. Not sure if that’s individuals or tactical but someone needs to tell the players the goal is at the end of the pitch and not on the half way line.

Edited by david-avfc

I only saw the last twenty-five minutes but most of our best play he was involved in.

Think after a settled pre-season and hopefully a couple of better players signed will help us see the best of Coutinho.

• Like 1

I don't think it's excuse making to say he probably looks better with a more comfortable midfield behind him that can hold some kind of control over a game. Most of his best work for us has been his end product and general quality in and around the box, you lose that when he's dropping to the centre circle to try to dictate play and this league is too high a standard now to rely on a guy to do that for you. 

If this is the system Gerrard is playing with though then outside of fitness I don't know how he can justify keeping a place ahead of Buendia who is just excellent at the moment.

1 hour ago, av1 said:

JPA is an outstanding example to be fair.

As someone who watched him and Saviola at River plate for years, I was over the moon when we signed him.

Was gutting to see him getting slated by our fans who knew nothing about him yet. He was a quality, quality flair player.

Having said that, I'm not necessarily going to put Phil's poor form down to just the player movement.

He does show flashes of brilliance even when he's off it though.

• Like 1

Â