Philippe Coutinho

Wainy316

Very good player, and very much the same player he was at Liverpool, he always was a top player who hit purple patches, but drifted in and out of games. Liverpool did brilliantly on the deal to sell him, however Suarez was always a better player.

I'd buy him for 33m if the wages are 150ish, he's a good player but needs much better around him to get the most out of him. I wouldn't be disappointed either if we didn't buy him.

4 minutes ago, VillaJay said:

Very good player, and very much the same player he was at Liverpool, he always was a top player who hit purple patches, but drifted in and out of games. Liverpool did brilliantly on the deal to sell him, however Suarez was always a better player.

I'd buy him for 33m if the wages are 150ish, he's a good player but needs much better around him to get the most out of him. I wouldn't be disappointed either if we didn't buy him.

He's not the same player he was at Liverpool, he has regressed very slightly.

Coutinho is a definite yes for me. He is a high profile player who can help attract other very good players to the club. Also, I think if we had to a better central midfield he would flourish again. You’ve also got the added bonus of any positive impact he can have on our youth players.

• Like 1

The BBC coverage the other day was all about whether we should sign him or not.

Apparently today Barcelona have told us that we have until the end of May to decide if we are going to sign him.

All the noise about someone else sabotaging the deal seems to have gone quiet.    Strange that.

1 hour ago, sidcow said:

Apparently today Barcelona have told us that we have until the end of May to decide if we are going to sign him.

All the noise about someone else sabotaging the deal seems to have gone quiet.    Strange that.

Coutinho is doing a great job keeping the MotM performances down until a deal is done. Makes other suitors stay away.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, sidcow said:

Barcelona trying to play hardball over a player on about 400k a week they are desperate to shift. Okay.

Just saw him at the lights on Tamworth Rd. Clearest indication he is signing as he was driving an ASTON Martin.

Interestingly it was a lhd on Spanish plates.

No idea if this guy is indeed tier 1 - but the idea we might renegotiate the transfer fee and that Coutinho has no plans to go anywhere else, has sort of been the status quo since he arrived. 

• Thanks 1

It'd be great if we got that fee down a bit. If we got it to £20-25m we couldn't really debate the transfer anymore even if he's inconsistent.

Realistically a young English talent would cost a minimum of the same amount and probably a lot more if they're as talented. (ESR rejected at £35m). And the likelihood that somebody coming in for £20-25m that's up and coming from abroad may well need 6months + to adapt and settle into the league; whereas we've already done that with Coutinho.

It would then be up to Gerrard to manage him correctly and not throw him in 90mins every game and ensure he manages Buendia and Coutinho well enough to get the best out of them. That's where my concerns are. 

But we have to trust Gerrard to do his job and get the best value for the club. So if that fee comes down, it's a no brainer to make it permanent.

54 minutes ago, Jareth said:

No idea if this guy is indeed tier 1 - but the idea we might renegotiate the transfer fee and that Coutinho has no plans to go anywhere else, has sort of been the status quo since he arrived. 

In this situation Coutinho and Aston Villa are aligned. Barca cannot add him to the wage bill again so they absolutely must sell him. If he is adamant he will only take a pay cut to join Villa and no other club. Villa saying they can't pay the 33m fee and Coutinho's wages. Who is going to win in that scenario? Barca or Villa/Couts

I'd imagine how it'll go down is Couts wants say 200k in salary for 3 years, we can't afford that. We can go to 150k max (which is the amount we are currently paying him) so that's £7.8m less over the 3 years than he'd get on 200k. We think we can solve this by taking 8m off the transfer fee so the cost of the transfer to us remains the same. Barca not happy. 

We'll win that in the end though. Whatever way it gets structure I assume it'll be some creative accounting on Barca side to pay him a settlement amount of £7m and we pay the 33m but he gets 150k wages. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Newry_Villan said:

Just thinking, and this is not a dig Phil he is class, but have we been hindered by playing him?  Not sure if he had knock or Gerrard dropped him but we were much more threatening in attack today.

In my opinion, No, I don’t think so. I think he could have played the Buendia role just as well today in the side that we put out, against other opposition. However, I don’t think Burnley was his game today. We were expecting a proper scrap, very physical, and I reckon he would have struggled with it. 

I think he starts the next game, I’d quite like to see him and Buendia again in a midfield overload. 

• Thanks 2

We were better without him today and immediately became worse as a collective when he came on.

He's a class player but I don't really see him fitting into our team, and I don't want us spending 30+ million and big wages on him.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, est1874 said:

We were better without him today and immediately became worse as a collective when he came on.

He's a class player but I don't really see him fitting into our team, and I don't want us spending 30+ million and big wages on him.

Be interesting to know Gerrard's thoughts about this one and if he had his time again would he sign him. He's gave himself a real headache now and not a good one.

I think he's probably realised this isn't the Coutinho he remembers. He's had absolute flashes of brilliance no doubt but I think was an ego signing from Purslow and a rose tint one from Gerrard.

It's probably cost us the best part 10m in wages and fees already. To go with the Tuanzebe deal...and what did we get from either of them in the end?

We can't keep doing this.  We really can't.

"Villa. Coutinho. If you can sign a player like that it's a no brainer."

No, you do have to use your brain sometimes.

The club has really got to start being smarter. 

Edited by rodders0223

Â