Philippe Coutinho

Wainy316

Must be number one priority signing going into next season. Simply won't be able to sign an established man of his calibre of talent for the price we are looking at.

Allows us to fill the void left by Grealish's departure albeit through acquiring a player with different assets and strengths, it will mean the level of influence on each fixture is one that allows us to thrive and impose our game on the ball. 

1 hour ago, VillaJ100 said:

Another day, another article selling him to Newcastle. 

I so wish we will sign him. The media absolute HATE the fact he's here and it grinds their gears so badly. I love it. F em

Do the media hate the fact he’s here or do they just wonder why he’d choose to sign here? At the moment we look very much like a team that talks big but can’t back that up with meaningful results on the pitch.

Coutinho is likely to have his pick of a number of teams. I struggle to see how we’ll be the most attractive of those if this season continues in the same manner. 

1 hour ago, VillaJ100 said:

The media absolute HATE the fact he's here and it grinds their gears so badly

That's not how it works. They don't care that he's here. They only care that they can generate clicks and impressions by linking a good, big name player with a club whose fans are gobbling up any bit of speculation available.

Link a big name with Newcastle and you'll get impressions. Doesn't matter who the name is, or where he currently plays.

There's no agenda, it's the same across the board. Every set of fans thinks there's a media agenda against their team. There's not. There's only what generates impressions and what doesn't.

• Like 1

For £30m and the wages I’d pass and go with someone a bit younger and a lot fitter 

he’s got the skills but I just think he’s a luxury player that we can’t accommodate , Buendia can almost do a lot of what he does and think that should be tie route we go down and put the £30m towards a CB or a dM 

• Like 3

He's basically a Steve Bruce signing isn't he. Spend huge money huge wages don't have a clue how to use him don't have a system that benefits him don't build a side that will work around his strengths and weakness.

No. Just sign big player big money and then pat him on the back before each game "win us the game son."

I feel bad for him playing in this shite.

We're trying to make him our new Grealish with everything going through him. We were better when Buendia came on and we spread the ball about more. 

I'd rather not sign him if it just means we're back to where we were last year at best. 

1 minute ago, tonyh29 said:

For £30m and the wages I’d pass and go with someone a bit younger and a lot fitter 

he’s got the skills but I just think he’s a luxury player that we can’t accommodate , Buendia can almost do a lot of what he does and think that should be tie route we go down and put the £30m towards a CB or a dM 

I think it depends on a couple of things. 

For me he has looked a bit lost in a few games since he came in, but I don’t think that’s down to age/fitness, rather that he’s probably never played with so many technically inept players - he’s on a different wavelength from everyone in the squad bar Buendia. 

So is the plan to strengthen up the midfield and surround him with players of a similar quality? If so great, but that is going to require serious investment. 

If we can’t do that, then maybe I’d agree with you, he’s going to cost an awful lot money and we are going to line up next season and still have guys like McGinn behind him and Watkins in front, it might be money that would have been better served elsewhere. 

2 minutes ago, AVTuco said:

Poor game from him. But, without him, we're much much worse. We need Phil.

I thought we were better when Buendia came on. 

10 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

We find a way to accommodate him. He's a world class player and we don't get many of those at VP 

Its not a choice of saving the £30m and putting towards a DM. Lets do both :)  Thats what we need if we are to become something 

These are the team performances and results that will give Phil and his agent plenty to talk about.

Anyone thinking that locking him down to a contract will be pro forma is deluded. 

We are a beached whale at the moment, despite having expensive internationals throughout the side.

Nothing inspiring about Aston Villa. Right now. If Arteta comes in with a big contract and a Champions League schedule, Phil is as good as gone, IMO. 

• Like 1

Still on the fence about Coutinho.

He's playing in a poor team in the world's strongest league, he'll need some persuading to sign.

I almost feel sorry and embarrassed for him as we are s***

Coutinho should be playing for Barcelona, Bayern etc.

As has been said he's a luxury player we can't afford, we are not on his level.

Be amazed if he's here next season!

I've not got myself invested in Coutinho as good as he is...or can be. Fully expect him to move on in the summer. Would be nice to see him lift the team like Jack did but guess that is asking too much. He's no Jack.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, birdman said:

I've not got myself invested in Coutinho as good as he is...or can be. Fully expect him to move on in the summer. Would be nice to see him lift the team like Jack did but guess that is asking too much. He's no Jack.

Coutinho is far the more gifted player but he doesn't have the energy levels of Grealish.

For much of today I was thinking, perhaps the critics of him were right and that his legs have indeed gone...then he glides past a few players and got a shot on goal (just before his substitution).

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, birdman said:

Yeah, I'd like to sign him but don't think it's imperative that we do

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

Coutinho is far the more gifted player but he doesn't have the energy levels of Grealish.

For much of today I was thinking, perhaps the critics of him were right and that his legs have indeed gone...then he glides past a few players and got a shot on goal (just before his substitution).

Clearly gifted but in different ways to Jack. Coutinho is more of goal threat but for me not necessarily a better player for us. I would take a Jack over Coutinho every time tbh.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Nicho said:

He’s a luxury player we can’t afford away from home. 

Struggled to get in the game and should have been dragged earlier than he was. Still better than Bailey.

he struggled to get in to the game because half of our team couldnt pass the ball 5 yards if their lives depended on it, its a recurring theme and has been for most of our time back in the PL.

No point in having a world class player if the rest of the team have jelly for feet.

• Like 2

Â