Philippe Coutinho

Wainy316

9 hours ago, sidcow said:

Why does everyone totally ignore the option to buy? 

Because...

1) Its an option, it hasn't happened yet.

2) All clubs have an "option to buy", we just have a price already agreed.

3) Coutinho is here because of Gerrard. After this season, Gerrard has a year and a half left on his contract, coinciding with Klopp. Do you see Coutinho committing to a three or four year contract at Villa if Gerrard is possibly / likely here only 18 months?

Its a wonderful loan signing and I can't wait to see him play. However, the "biggest signing in Villa's history" talk is hyperbole gone crazy.

1 minute ago, Don_Simon said:

Because...

3) Coutinho is here because of Gerrard. After this season, Gerrard has a year and a half left on his contract, coinciding with Klopp. Do you see Coutinho committing to a three or four year contract at Villa if Gerrard is possibly / likely here only 18 months?

Its a wonderful loan signing and I can't wait to see him play. However, the "biggest signing in Villa's history" talk is hyperbole gone crazy.

Ultimately it's up to coutinho where he decides to go. 

If he does well and a CL club are in for him he ain't staying at Villa. Let's get realistic. 

1 minute ago, villalad21 said:

If he does well and a CL club are in for him he ain't staying at Villa. Let's get realistic. 

This should be D! Or part of A. Or B. 

9 minutes ago, Don_Simon said:

Because...

Such a negative Nancy. Even if it’s a loan, it’s still a “signing.” Just because it isn’t a permanent doesn’t mean it can’t part of the discussion about most high profile signing in the history of the club.

31 minutes ago, Don_Simon said:

Because...

Klopp could easily sign a new deal. Equally, Gerrard could sign a new deal here too. And we have contractually agreed a fee to sign one of the biggest names in European football - if not globally - he took a pay cut to be here after all. It’s a massive statement from the club however you look at it. Our profile has grown exponentially. Let people enjoy it. For many in our lifetimes we won’t remember a name that big pulling on the shirt. Let’s just enjoy it. UTV. 

I just want to say, for those expecting him to be our new Jack Grealish, Coutinho,'s chance creation has regressed a lot.

This season for example, he has 2 key passes in 12 games for Barcelona. Even accounting for the fact that he only started 5 of these games, it's a truly abysmal rate. And last season, his key pass rate was pretty bad as well

Not trying to be a Debbie downer, I just like pointing out interesting stats. I still think it's a good signing but I do think that Coutinho will be more of a direct goal threat than a creator for us.

Edited by Laughable Chimp

16 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

It’s worth remembering, he took less money to be here because he believes in the project and wants to work with Gerrard and his staff. That speaks volumes about what direction we are heading towards. 

To an extent.

But in the final showdown if you believe what you read it was us and 1 other club with firm offers in for him.

So most likely it was villa, Newcastle or Barca reserves.

That said potentially it's a game changing signing for a nominal outlay in today's climate.

2 minutes ago, Laughable Chimp said:

I just want to say, for those expecting him to be our new Jack Grealish, Coutinho,'s chance creation has regressed a lot.

This season for example, he has 2 key passes in 12 games for Barcelona. Even accounting for the fact that he only started 5 of these games, it's a truly abysmal rate.

I think the hope is that he plays himself into some sort of form. 

If he was performing at 2017 levels - he wouldn't be coming !!!

5 minutes ago, Laughable Chimp said:

This season for example, he has 2 key passes in 12 games for Barcelona. Even accounting for the fact that he only started 5 of these games, it's a truly abysmal rate.

Thanks for saying that 👍

• Haha 1

45 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

I don’t think that’s how options to buy work. My understanding is he has effectively agreed a contract with us if we want to sign him.  So this loan period is almost like an audition. 

I could be wrong about that though.

Edited by Vive_La_Villa
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I don’t think that’s how options to buy work. My understanding is he has effectively agreed a contract with us if we want to sign him.  So this loan period is almost like an audition. 

I am thinking the same. But the spurs rumour might well be that they can buy him for 33 million if we decide not to purchase.  That said Levy aint that stupid . He would want to negotiate a whole new price. 

2 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

No, that's exactly it.  Otherwise these clauses don't really exist which they patently do. 

People are buying the press bullshit that they have been putting out to try and make themselves feel better that such a high profile player has signed for us instead of a darling club.  They are butt hurt so they keep constantly re-stating that he's here on loan, it's like a comfort blanket to them. 

Read the club official statement.  It says we have an option to buy. An option to buy means we have bought him NOW if we decide to exercise that option, no one else can top that otherwise it's not an option at all. 

56 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

He's joined a soon to be CL club

1 hour ago, Don_Simon said:

Because...

1) true, but it protects us in case he's crap

2) you don't understand what option to buy within a loan means. if we execute the clause he's essentially forced to stay with us. the contract would've been pre-agreed

3) irrelivant - he's already committed to villa due to the option to buy clause. gerrard could be sacked tomorrow and coutinho will still be here next season if the clause was triggered

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Kiwivillan said:

I tried to watch his interview but was blinded by his teeth

He has the same dentist as Klopp, Firmino and Salah. If you see a Bugatti veyron driving around merseyside with a boot full of industrial strength whitener that's the lad. 

Â