Philippe Coutinho

Wainy316

The thing is this would, provided of course we got the player we were thinking we would, effectively replace grealish on that left side of midfield but actually with even more likelihood of goals as i always remember him finding that top corner quite often & certainly more often than Grealish did. As for whether he is that player still? Well you'd hope Stevie G would know surely? A new LB too for him to link with with a bit more attacking ability and pace hopefully & i think we could truly have improved on the Targett-Grealish thing? 

I'm on board for the ride regardless!

• Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, cheltenham_villa said:

How do you think he'd fit with Buendia? They strike me as similar. 

I think it would be a massive statement if we could get him, I worry like many others that he will become another ageing top talent who has lost the ability to fight. 

Another con for your list, he won't have played in a team like ours where the average level of ability is lower than he is used to. (Not a dig, we are not Barca, Bayern, Liverpool, Brazil)

No we are not Barca, Bayern, Liverpool or Brazil …….. at present. I am old enough to remember Villa beating the first three. Our owners are very ambitious so I back their plans to push us forward and to do this we must recruit top players now. Thank goodness they don’t have the glass half empty negativity you seem to demonstrate.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, cheltenham_villa said:

How do you think he'd fit with Buendia? They strike me as similar. 

I think it would be a massive statement if we could get him, I worry like many others that he will become another ageing top talent who has lost the ability to fight. 

Another con for your list, he won't have played in a team like ours where the average level of ability is lower than he is used to. (Not a dig, we are not Barca, Bayern, Liverpool, Brazil)

City have a lot of very similar players. Seems to work quite well! 

Fair point on the concern you raised though. Think thats a valid one to add to the list. 

• Like 1

I'm hoping we get him, even if there's maybe a question over his fitness, bringing in player of his quality increases the clubs profile. Future targets who are considered beyond our reach might see us as a transfer genuine option. 

I also can't face seeing us miss out like we did on Wesley Sneijder, Les Ferdinand, Frank Lampard and numerous others. 

Edited by The Other Mat

He comes here it is because he has been promised a platform on which he can demonstrate his ability before the world cup - he will play every game he is fit enough to play - as well as the SG connection. I still have to say I just can't see it happening - not many people can. It's too freaky a jump in footballing terms - but if it does happen it'll be seismic for us going forwards.

Did this get posted already?

https://www-sport-es.translate.goog/es/noticias/barca/motivos-coutinho-aston-villa-13063362?_x_tr_sl=auto&_x_tr_tl=en&_x_tr_hl=en-GB

"Philippe Coutinho wanted to return to the Premier League as he was and is one step away from achieving it. Barça and Aston Villa have very advanced the loan of the Rio de Janeiro midfielder until the end of this season. Now it remains to be defined if there will be a mandatory purchase option when this course ends. This is the best agreement that could have been reached: Barça, which will assume a part of its file, releases a salary mass to register Ferran Torres and the Brazilian player will return, even through the back door, to the European league where he has been happier.

ENGLAND YES OR YES

To regain sensations and feel like an important footballer again, 'Cou' exploited all options to try to return to the Premier League. He had other possibilities, such as going on loan to Flamengo as SPORT revealed, but he ended up leaving them in the background. In the English fields (and playing with Liverpool), it was where Philippe reached his best level in his entire career and had sensations that he could not repeat either at the Camp Nou or in his year on loan at Bayern Munich, no matter how much will win a Triplet.

Thank you for watching

That none of the English Big Six has bid for the Brazilian until the end makes it clear what his present is as a player . Even so, he believes that in England he will find the ecosystem to change the course of his career. After nine months out, with three arthroscopies in his left knee, the Brazilian international has had an absolutely unfortunate first leg of the season in Barcelona. Now he has to react to stop his free fall.

THE STEVEN GERRARD FACTOR

Aston Villa does not have great aspirations in the Premier: it is in no man's land in a more than discreet 12th position. Classification in hand, arriving at the Villains, even temporarily, could be interpreted as taking a step backwards for the most expensive footballer in the history of Barça. Coutinho does not see it that way.

In Birmingham you will find a coach you absolutely trust: Steven Gerrard, with whom he shared a dressing room at Liverpool. There was always a great feeling between the two, in an almost fraternal relationship between brothers of different generations.

Gerrard knows, understands and knows the potential of a Coutinho who will have the starting role, with the mission of making a difference. This is an antagonistic situation to which I would live with Xavi if the season in Barcelona had ended. The presence of his former teammate has ended up deciding the balance and the Brazilian anxiously awaits the OK of the two clubs.

TITE'S EYES ARRIVE IN BIRMINGHAM

Tite summoned 'Cou' in November to give him support and explain that he would wait for him so that he could go to Qatar in 2022. From then on, the equation was easy to solve: either the carioca would leave Barça to have minutes of competition or he would disappear the World Cup dream.

And Aston Villa is an absolutely valid place for Philippe's goal of playing his second World Cup. One of his new teammates in England, former Girona midfielder Douglas Luiz , regularly joins Tite 's calls , who have him as one of the options for the double pivot."

• Like 3

2 hours ago, villa4europe said:

Missed the biggest con off for me 

Dropping down from barca to villa how much fire is left in his belly, what's his professionalism going to be like? Will he be Billy big bollocks Jamie tart making his loan about as useful as Drinkwater? 

The negative is the mental side of it 

Is that not an assumed con by you as opposed to a con? It could just as easily read that by dropping down from Barca to Villa he wants to prove himself as the world class player he is and working with Gerrard again is just the motivation he needs to show the world how he can shine. He will be playing for his past captain so no chance of Billy Big Bollox there as there authority lines are already there.

It is  just how one wants to view it

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Peter Griffin said:

Is that not an assumed con by you as opposed to a con? It could just as easily read that by dropping down from Barca to Villa he wants to prove himself as the world class player he is and working with Gerrard again is just the motivation he needs to show the world how he can shine. He will be playing for his past captain so no chance of Billy Big Bollox there as there authority lines are already there.

he comes here and proves himself as a world class player then thats a con for the 6 month loan ;) best case scenario he does a lingard, becomes a key player for us, pushes us a couple of places up the table, we cant do a deal for him, goes back to barca believing he'll finally get his chance to play, doesnt and this time next year he'll be touted as going out on loan again - and in that scenario id go back to saying id rather we played chuk and finished 12th than played coutinho and finished 10th - id happily be proved wrong but i dont see a world class coutinho being enough to get us to 7th, thats too big a leap

worst case he's post christmas barkley mkII - i dont think he'll ever be as bad as drinkwater but the dejected half arsed barkley that we suffered i can see that happening unfortunately 

im just not overly excited by it in general, im not expecting him to be the player that people remember and i dont get the point of the 6 month deal

• Sad 1

5 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

Spot on. Back to glass half full v glass half empty. As far as Villa is concerned I’m glass half full and always will be.

Just now, LondonLax said:

If he wasn’t a bit part player we would not have a sniff of signing him.

Taking him on loan is a brilliant low risk gamble if we can pull it off. 

Of course I just think listing his honours as if he was a major player is wrong

30 minutes ago, HalfTimePost said:

Although not sure why we'd be discussing salary with him considering it's a loan and we'd just discuss with Barca.

Unless the option to buy is more likely than we think and discussing details of future contract but not sure that's how it works.

i guess that means how much of his salary we would be covering during the loan, as its such a HUUUUGE salary.

Â