Ratings & Reactions: Brentford v Villa

limpid

Match Polls  

197 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your Man of the Match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/01/22 at 23:59

It feels like we’ve been saying this for years but we need a real top level defensive midfielder. Some one who puts their foot on the ball and slows things down. 
I like Luiz but he’s not a DM and is much much better pushing forward. 

First 25 minutes was decent enough, then we just decided to stop pressing them and let the intensity drop.

2nd half was passable until Ramsey went off and we decided to forget how to pass a football.

Luiz, Targett and Cash were very disappointing, and Hause did nothing to suggest he's anything other than a stereotypical 1980s centre half by winning most headers and showing no ability whatsoever with the ball at his feet other than to aimlessly waft the ball forwards. Not good enough. McGinn was symptomatic of the whole 90 mins by starting well and then looking bereft of anything resembling a clue after an hour.

Buendia was promising again, but its no use when the guys around him refused to move.

Throw ins again have reverted to a full back holding the ball above his head for 10 seconds waiting for someone to attempt to find space or come short - absolutely no movement whatsoever.

A special mention must be made for Traore, who was an absolute waste of time and was probably the most culpable in terms of cement-footedness and lack of awareness. How Gerrard didn't haul him off about 20 minutes earlier is beyond me - not sure why he and Trezeguet seem to have jumped ahead of El Ghazi again given their lack of minutes - not sure that says much for AEGs future here.

We need pace, and quick thinking all over the pitch - it's all very formulaic and by the book. I hope NSWE are prepared for a sizeable loss on some of our players over the next 12 months or so.

• Like 1

I thought we missed the calming influence and defensive organisation of Tyrone today. Loads of possession, but we didn't do enough with it and they made the most of what little they had. 

2 minutes ago, StewieGriffin said:

Throw ins again have reverted to a full back holding the ball above his head for 10 seconds waiting for someone to attempt to find space or come short - absolutely no movement whatsoever.

I noticed that too and couldn't believe that the bench didn't do anything about it. No urgency from anyone. 

We should be aiming for 50+ points even after the rubbish seen today but I think we'll end up with something poor like 45 points and finishing around 12th or 13th.

It's been a really poor season and yet again we will need to invest heavily in the summer. Hopefully we actually recruit wisely otherwise we'll just be going round in circles.

Edited by VillaFaninLondon

Same old problem - not able to beat the teams we would hope to be able to beat.

Showboating in the first half at 1.0 up when we should have been busting a gut to finish them off - ridiculous.

We really missed Watkins and Mings.

Buendia MOM.

Ramsey, Martinez and Ings also good.

The rest need a good kick up the arse by the coaching staff, and Treseguet, Traore, Hause and Targett need kicked right out of the door.

5 minutes ago, StewieGriffin said:

Throw ins again have reverted to a full back holding the ball above his head for 10 seconds waiting for someone to attempt to find space or come short - absolutely no movement whatsoever

At least we had 3 months with some decent ideas from throw ins , looks like we're back to same old crap now though. 

1 minute ago, VillaFaninLondon said:

We should be aiming for 50+ points even after the rubbish seen today but I think we'll end up with something poor like 45 points and finishing around 12th or 13th.

It's been a really poor season and yet again we will need to invest heavily in the summer. Hopefully we actually recruit wisely otherwise we'll just be going round in circles.

If we are going to invest heavily in the summer we will need to shift some players on. We are very heavy in numbers and just can't keep adding to it. AEG, Trez and Hause should be definite exits. Traore, Targett, Sanson and Mings; we should listen to suitable offers and get upgrades on anyone that leaves

14 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

Does annoy me a bit that Wolves and Brighton who are both deeply mediocre are already 3 and 5 points respectively ahead of us at the halfway point. And Wolves have a game in hand on us.

Brighton deeply mediocre?! I’d put Brighton well in the running for a European place this season. 

53 minutes ago, Spoony said:

Really shit. We have to ditch our crappy attacking wingers, take the loss and get some new ones. 

For me that isn’t on Gerrard. We setup and started well but Christ this team is so fragile. We really need to overhaul our awful but-part players. I get that some of them have been injured and sick and need time but there’s some (like Trez) who we just know will never be good enough.

We need a lot of signings, and frankly we need to ditch Lange and anyone else who has wasted so much money on this weak, weak team.

The speed and ferocity that we surrender the initiative is alarming....we was in complete control after going ahead and completely squandered the impetus...doing all the things we have become infamous for, like giving the ball away cheaply.

We need some character, in this team, a general to pull the strings.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Giro said:

That dive from trez at the end 😂 where do you even start with that 

He needs to take some tips off Salah, if he had just cut back outside he could’ve gone over the players trailing leg!

1 minute ago, TRO said:

The speed and ferocity that we surrender the initiative is alarming....we was in complete control after going ahead and completely squandered the impetus...doing all the things we have become infamous for, like giving the ball away cheaply.

We need some character, in this team, a general to pull the strings.

Player Manager as opposed to just manager? :)

• Like 1

Buendia was great today. Remember when he lost the ball about 20 times in the corresponding fixture. He was strong and committed today . As was Jacob. But i d9 not understand what happened with McGinn. Probably the worst game i have ever seen him have. He can be shit but doesnt normally go missing but today he was anonymous apart from one great tackle. 

Luiz was equally bad. 

Great goal from Ings.  We have needed that kind of deadly finishing . But he didnt do too much more. 

First goal for them was brilliantly taken .wondrous first touch.  Cannot blame Hause for that. Konsa should have made more of an effort to block it . 

Second was awful play by about 5 of our players. They should be made to do 100 laps of the training ground for that passage of play. 

11 minutes ago, John said:

I thought we missed the calming influence and defensive organisation of Tyrone today. Loads of possession, but we didn't do enough with it and they made the most of what little they had. 

Yeah, but Mings is crap according to Dave on Twitter. We don't need him, he shouldn't have the armband and we should sell him, apparently.

• Like 1

some of these teams like Brentford are spending a fraction of what we spend and get a tune out of them.....we are spending to much on rubbish.

You only have to go through our players and ask yourself, what would we get for them if we put them up for sale, would we get our money back?.......that should be an indication of who we need to replace.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

Â