Pre match thread

zab6359

I think there are three separate dangers to this game (and all the remaining fixtures this weekend):

• Cases amongst players - there will be more test results today and it'd be a surprise I think if we weren't to lose another of the remaining games.
  • The number of other games postponed by kick off - if there are only a couple of games happening over the weekend, the pressure on why those games are still going ahead will grow. The more isolated they are, the worse an idea they look.
  • The potential for a 'football wave' of infections - the Premier league will be acutely aware of the publicity they'll get if there are hundreds of cases reported from Villa Park next week, and with the regulations on showing a Covid Pass, there are a lot more people with the app who will get isolation pings this time around. The potential for images of thousands of people in the stands without masks alongside reports on hundreds of positive results would be a PR nightmare for the Premier league.

I really want to see us play, I thought there were signs at Norwich of our pattern really settling and starting to look very exciting, but objectively it's becoming harder to justify sport continuing at the moment.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Follyfoot said:

Just told the Mrs I intended to go with my boys tomorrow, just got this WhatsApp from her, for once she is right

I’ve told Ollie you’re not going to the footie tomorrow. He’s not very happy but it’d be complete madness to go…my dad’s got COPD, my mom’s diabetic, your dad’s just had cancer and your mom’s on antibiotics for an infection. It’s a no brainer I’m afraid ☹️ xxx

She is totally right.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

I think there are three separate dangers to this game (and all the remaining fixtures this weekend):

• Cases amongst players - there will be more test results today and it'd be a surprise I think if we weren't to lose another of the remaining games.
  • The number of other games postponed by kick off - if there are only a couple of games happening over the weekend, the pressure on why those games are still going ahead will grow. The more isolated they are, the worse an idea they look.
  • The potential for a 'football wave' of infections - the Premier league will be acutely aware of the publicity they'll get if there are hundreds of cases reported from Villa Park next week, and with the regulations on showing a Covid Pass, there are a lot more people with the app who will get isolation pings this time around. The potential for images of thousands of people in the stands without masks alongside reports on hundreds of positive results would be a PR nightmare for the Premier league.

I really want to see us play, I thought there were signs at Norwich of our pattern really settling and starting to look very exciting, but objectively it's becoming harder to justify sport continuing at the moment.

I think we'll play tomorrow unless there are mass cases revealed at training today (same for Burnley).

However can see xmas schedule significantly disrupted so wouldn't shock me if next time we play afterwards is at Old Trafford in the cup (three weeks time). That would give a bit of time at least for clubs to sort stuff out but really you're still going to have outbreaks in Jan and Feb unless you just isolate them all in hotels for weeks on end and that didn't happen in project restart.

After March 2020 it's pretty impossible to take things for granted or predict what will happen.

2 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

I think we'll play tomorrow unless there are mass cases revealed at training today (same for Burnley).

I think if there are further cases at some of the other games and we lose a couple more for the weekend they'll drop the lot.

If the Leeds game for example were to go, then I think they'd be nervous about playing just one game out of seven on Saturday - if only because if there is then a wave of cases the league will get pelters for allowing that single game to go ahead.

I think the threat to the game is in both the two squads, but also the threat to football over the weekend in its entirety.

1 hour ago, Follyfoot said:

Just told the Mrs I intended to go with my boys tomorrow, just got this WhatsApp from her, for once she is right

I’ve told Ollie you’re not going to the footie tomorrow. He’s not very happy but it’d be complete madness to go…my dad’s got COPD, my mom’s diabetic, your dad’s just had cancer and your mom’s on antibiotics for an infection. It’s a no brainer I’m afraid ☹️ xxx

Pretty much how I feel right now, If I go on Saturday and catch it then the symptoms/PCR test will be around next Tuesday/Wednesday and if it's a positive test then that rules you out of All of Christmas and New Year due to isolating. 

My folks have a number of underlying conditions so I'm not willing to put them at a greater risk. 

Football will always be around, Our Parents won't. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Kingman said:

Pretty much how I feel right now, If I go on Saturday and catch it then the symptoms/PCR test will be around next Tuesday/Wednesday and if it's a positive test then that rules you out of All of Christmas and New Year due to isolating. 

My folks have a number of underlying conditions so I'm not willing to put them at a greater risk. 

Football will always be around, Our Parents won't. 

Yeah that's my thinking.

Although Omicron is low in the West Midlands at the moment. So I'm thinking of chancing it Saturday - but will skip matches after that. I've already put my Chelsea ticket up for sale.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, hippo said:

Yeah that's my thinking.

Although Omicron is low in the West Midlands at the moment. So I'm thinking of chancing it Saturday - but will skip matches after that. I've already put my Chelsea ticket up for sale.

my view is that im going to go tomorrow on the basis i have a full week before i'm seeing any family and i'm not going again until brentford

• Like 1

15 hours ago, The Fun Factory said:

The correct moral decision would be to postpone all fixtures this weekend.

But morals, football, and mountains of cash, do not always fit.

I mean really who wants to risk watching a game and then having to self-isolate this Christmas?

If you do go please stay safe

Completely disagree I'd rather it was played and we win and we don't end up with a congested fixture list like some other clubs will because they have had outbreaks. For those fortunate enough to get to the game do the right thing and stay safe.

1 hour ago, The Fun Factory said:

If they are going to postpone it would be better to do it today rather than tomorrow with people already on their way to the ground.

Of course...but they are trying not to postpone it! No point in preemptive action that may not be needed (fingers crossed)

11 minutes ago, Nigel said:

Of course...but they are trying not to postpone it! No point in preemptive action that may not be needed (fingers crossed)

edit: re read post

Edited by tomav84