Pre match thread

zab6359

10 hours ago, BleedClaretAndBlue said:

Do we?

Last home win against them I can think of from memory was the 5-2 back in O’Neills day I think.

2-2 when we came back up

0-0 last season

I remember a 1-0 home defeat on the last day of the season somewhere too.

hmm yeah your right, i must be thinking back to the o neill days as we beat them in the league a couple of times when i was at villa park and in one of the cups iirc. If the game goes ahead which i am hoping it does then i still predict us to win

4 hours ago, BOF said:

I'd love to see ANY team for the Burnley match with the way Covid is going.

But I was thinking about it and I wouold really really love to see the below.

I put Buendia on the left and Ramsey right deliberately because it might be a bit too risky to have Carney & Ramsey both on the same side in terms of experience. Chuk has been incredibly effective every time he has come on, and I really want to see what he can achieve with a full 90 minutes under his belt. If nothing else he has earned that chance. And I think Buendia up in place of Ashley Young is almost a no brainer. He's certainly able to play that position. The rest picks itself.

bab27cb9b816be09acba81eefae76ab6.png

I think with five games off and more test result coming back from teams tomorrow we'll be lucky to see this game take place.

But, if it does, I'd go with the same line up but I'd swap Ramsey and Chukwuemeka - Ramsey has been excellent as part of the three and pretty all of Chukwuemeka's appearances under Gerrard have been in one of the number ten roles.

Hopefully there are no issues with Buendia or McGInn.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

same line up but I'd swap Ramsey and Chukwuemeka - Ramsey has been excellent as part of the three and pretty all of Chukwuemeka's appearances under Gerrard have been in one of the number ten roles.

Yep I've no issue with that. 

• Like 1

The correct moral decision would be to postpone all fixtures this weekend.

But morals, football, and mountains of cash, do not always fit.

I mean really who wants to risk watching a game and then having to self-isolate this Christmas?

If you do go please stay safe

Edited by The Fun Factory
  • Like 3

49 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Around 150 tickets currently on sale, so it looks like there are people returning tickets - I'd sort of expected that to be more.

At the moment, I'd still be slightly surprised if this one happens.

If Villa haven’t got any new cases after the 2 already mentioned, and if Burnley haven’t got any/any more, then I guess no reason to cancel it.

There is less than 48 hours until the match now, so I expect both clubs have kept the Premier League updated to their latest position.  There hasn’t even been any whispers of the game being cancelled in the media so far.

Edited by ender4

Wonder if there's a discussion going on in the background to move this to 12.30pm to meet the TV broadcasting quota seeing as the others are now off? 

Edited by Kingman

6 minutes ago, Kingman said:

Wonder if there's a discussion going on in the background to move this to 12.30pm to meet the TV broadcasting quota seeing as the others are now off? 

I don't think the police would agree to that at such short notice. Remember when we had the pre season game cancelled and tried to change the kick off for another team and the police didn't accept that.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Kingman said:

It’s probably a couple of days too late for that to happen. But money talks so anything is possible I guess.  Is it £1.8m extra TV money for every game you have on TV?

6 hours ago, The Fun Factory said:

I mean really who wants to risk watching a game and then having to self-isolate this Christmas?

I echo your comment but given I've hardly seen a soul wearing a mask at any UK football ground, that would seem unlikely to be the approach for the vast majority. I find it staggering that even now this simple precaution is ignored.

• Like 1

We only need to win by one goal to move up to seventh, that would put us on equal points and goal difference with Spurs, it would then go to goals scored, and because we've already scored seven more goals than them we would go above them in the table.

Burnley won't be easy though, they've only lost one of their last five, getting draws against some decent teams in Chelsea, Palace, Wolves, and West Ham, so perhaps signs that they're becoming difficult to beat again.

• Like 2

Yeah, they're decent defensively but not offensively, with only two teams having scored less (Norwich and... Wolves!?) They've drawn eight and draws could easily have been wins with a bit of luck here or a moment of magic there. So many draws (including against Chelsea and West Ham) suggests they're not that bad so we must play well in both halves to have a good chance of getting the win.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, The Fun Factory said:

Just told the Mrs I intended to go with my boys tomorrow, just got this WhatsApp from her, for once she is right

I’ve told Ollie you’re not going to the footie tomorrow. He’s not very happy but it’d be complete madness to go…my dad’s got COPD, my mom’s diabetic, your dad’s just had cancer and your mom’s on antibiotics for an infection. It’s a no brainer I’m afraid ☹️ xxx

• Like 2
  • Sad 2