Pre match thread

zab6359

We have a terrible record against them, both matches last season were infuriating.

A win here sets Villa up for a really good chance for a top eight finish (at least) in my view.

Mings had commented how a winning mentality was starting to be evident in the players from their time with Gerrard, here's hoping we see it against Burnley.

• Like 2

We've tried (and succeeded) to force teams wide when we defend. Will we see something different against this lot?

Can't imagine we'll want them to have ball too much in the wide areas.

2 hours ago, BleedClaretAndBlue said:

Do we?

Last home win against them I can think of from memory was the 5-2 back in O’Neills day I think.

2-2 when we came back up

0-0 last season

I remember a 1-0 home defeat on the last day of the season somewhere too.

We lost to them just before the Cup Final after just losing 6-1 to Southampton. Wasn't the best form for Villa's big day out.

We also drew 2-2 at home in our first year back. McGinn scored a late goal only for an almost immediate equaliser.

I wouldn't be entirely surprised if this round of fixtures is paused, in order to protect the traditional boxing day matches.

I have decided against going on Saturday. I am planning to see my folks  who are in their 70s over Christmas and have got my booster jab booked on the Monday.

I much as I love watching Villa (and Burnley obvs) I don't really want to risk either catching it and then spreading it,  or spending Christmas on my own.

• Like 4

36 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

I wouldn't be entirely surprised if this round of fixtures is paused, in order to protect the traditional boxing day matches.

I have decided against going on Saturday. I am planning to see my folks  who are in their 70s over Christmas and have got my booster jab booked on the Monday.

I much as I love watching Villa (and Burnley obvs) I don't really want to risk either catching it and then spreading it,  or spending Christmas on my own.

mrs has already told me she won't be cancelling xmas if i catch covid because i went to football and that i'd have to go somewhere on my own. i'm planning on going to the game but wouldn't be the end of the world for me personally if it got postponed

49 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

mrs has already told me she won't be cancelling xmas if i catch covid because i went to football and that i'd have to go somewhere on my own. i'm planning on going to the game but wouldn't be the end of the world for me personally if it got postponed

You'd go to a game of football given your Mrs has said that? **** crazy.

Edited by Don_Simon

56 minutes ago, kevpants said:

More chance of my Aunt growing balls than this game happening I think.

That's a bold statement. Its only 2 days to go.

If I was on my own and didn't anything one else to worry about I would go but personally for me I am going to give it a miss. 

Edit- Just seen Spurs v Leicester is postponed. I can see something happening now before Saturday.

Edited by The Fun Factory

1 hour ago, The Fun Factory said:

That's a bold statement. Its only 2 days to go.

If I was on my own and didn't anything one else to worry about I would go but personally for me I am going to give it a miss. 

Edit- Just seen Spurs v Leicester is postponed. I can see something happening now before Saturday.

I'll go bolder. By Monday I expect every single PL squad to have at least 8-10 players positive.

I'd love to see ANY team for the Burnley match with the way Covid is going.

But I was thinking about it and I wouold really really love to see the below.

I put Buendia on the left and Ramsey right deliberately because it might be a bit too risky to have Carney & Ramsey both on the same side in terms of experience. Chuk has been incredibly effective every time he has come on, and I really want to see what he can achieve with a full 90 minutes under his belt. If nothing else he has earned that chance. And I think Buendia up in place of Ashley Young is almost a no brainer. He's certainly able to play that position. The rest picks itself.

bab27cb9b816be09acba81eefae76ab6.png

44 minutes ago, Phil Silvers said:

Refereeing details just been released for this game, an absolute **** referee and an absolute **** on var. 

Madley got a 41% off VT for his only other game this season for us. The 1-0 defeat at Saints.

• Thanks 1

The 2 squads seem to be relatively covid free (a couple of cases in our camp, and 1 in theirs?), so this game could well go ahead.
With games now being cancelled it seems inevitable there will be a pause soon. Maybe we'll get a bye from Man U in the FACup?
It will be interesting to see if having played the games (and hopefully won the last 2) gives us the advantage, offsetting the disadvantage we seemed to have last January with the outbreak, which really derailed us. 

If you go - stay safe.