Match Thread: Villa v Brighton

limpid

1 minute ago, PaulC said:

Looked a bit more organised and harder to break down. I'd get Ings off for Bailey and move Watkins down the middle. ings has been poor. 

Watkins is the worst player om the pitch broke up our attacks by slowing it down. 

Ings been fine had no service.

• Like 1

Decent against a good Brighton team. You can see what Gerrard is trying to do - pressing high - and it looks to have potential. McGinn our best player but also indebted to Martinez. Could go either way in the second half. Score first and I think we will win.

Edited by Lerner's Driver

Mings has been brilliant. Another vital block from the corner.

Overall decent half you can see with time the patterns of play which we can look forward to. We looked better defensively too. Brighton create a lot of chances and we’ve limited them to sporadic attacks. 

Already McGinn looking much better no sloppiness in possession from him = less dangerous attacks against us. His passing range has been sensational. I feel by simplifying his own game he’ll go up a level or two.

• Like 3

Ramsey is so lively on the ball, can move up the pitch with it so quickly. Mcginn was everywhere there. Ollie had some nice play on the ball, we don’t know how to use Ings I feel. Buendia showed again if he can get the ball and face their defence he’ll create chances. He’s not got the legs to be up and down the pitch though it seems. Cash was solid, Emi was too. Targett had some good tackles. Big improvement than what we’ve seen in however long. As commentary said Brighton dominated possession against Liverpool recently

Half time. On the wifi. Not much different to understand Smith although we are back to 4 at the back which I prefer. Ings struggling to get into game as central striker, Watkins liking livelier of the two off the left. Ings had a good chance though but a heavy touch let him down. McGinn playing well. Nakamba sitting with Mcginn and Ramsey a little further on. Targett still looking scared but has nullified Lamptey reasonably well, almost gave them a goal with a suicidal cross field ball. Two good saves Martinez. Buendia relatively quiet. Best chance came from a header but their keeper saved it. We look more solid but that may be due to Brighton not threatening too much, their false 9 system seems an odd way to set up when they have Maupay on the bench. Atmosphere flatter than I’d expected. Ref has had a couple of shockers so far, worst being when a BHA player was down with a ‘head injury’ after their corner, he let them play on for a minute as they tried to build an attack then as soon as we pinched it and were breaking he blew up. I’d look at Bailey for Buendia.

Just now, spiezels said:

Playing with more confidence, and we haven’t conceded inside 15 minutes. 

Improvment so far, mings playing well, McGinn spreading it about nicely.

want more pressing from Watkins

He can't go and press it all the time when they move it wide right, that's what they want us to do, depends where targett, ramsey and ings are. it's not him being lazy hes been tracking back loads

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MaVilla said:

Are you Watkins dad or something?

I think hes done better than Ings who has been atrocious. Buendia is working the pockets put Ings through but his touch was dreadful.  McGinn has been our best player imo. Defence has held firm. 

We look less naive than in previous weeks.  Brighton are a superbly coached side . The big difference is we arent allowing as many shots through being overrun in centre midfield which always worried me under Smith. 

They dominated possession against Liverpool a few weeks ago.

All in all a decent half against a side playing very very well. 

Improved attitude, players still unfamiliar in what they are doing and each other, hopefully it will come, we certainly have the talent. Brighton a solid well drilled and settled team, shows what you can do with an average squad and very good coach. 

International McGinn is playing today, also Buendia is Hungry, let’s hope he last longer than 60 minutes. Keen to see Sanson and Bailey at the risk of more changes.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, IrishVilla10 said:

Ramsey is so lively on the ball, can move up the pitch with it so quickly. Mcginn was everywhere there. Ollie had some nice play on the ball, we don’t know how to use Ings I feel. Buendia showed again if he can get the ball and face their defence he’ll create chances. He’s not got the legs to be up and down the pitch though it seems. Cash was solid, Emi was too. Targett had some good tackles. Big improvement than what we’ve seen in however long. As commentary said Brighton dominated possession against Liverpool recently

We used the same excuse for Hogan for his entire time here. If he’s playing poorly it’s down to him and not this fantastical idea that it’s everyone else’s fault.

He’s paid to score goals and he was put into a very dangerous position by Buendia and his touch was appalling.

Edited by Delphinho123
  • Like 1