Biggest word removed to play for/manage/own Villa

Davkaus

A lot of the names here are mentioned due to how they left...but I think to be a proper word removed you have to behave like an ass hat during your whole spell.

Players like N'Zogbia and Ireland just did not give a shit during their time here. 

Outside of that period, I'm struggling to think of any others like that. Alpay maybe after he went mental after the world cup. Did he even refused to play? I remember him sushing the crowd when he scored against Charlton. Weirdo.

And let's be honest, if someone looked, sounded, and played like Grealish at any other club we would be calling him a word removed no end.

• Like 1

On 13/11/2021 at 11:15, bickster said:

Ellis was not out of his depth, he took over a club, dismantled a very succesful side and got us relegated all so he could earn money. He was the first board member in a UK football club to actually pay himself (think about that for a second)

Steve Hodge was not out of his depth or shit, he was a current England International when we bought him, he just didn't want to be here and didn't put any effort in. The back pass incident just highlighted it, he just wasn't bothered by what he'd done

Both of the above were complete and utter words removed

Ok now you’ve confused me.

I read your original post read like you were saying that Ellis and Hodge WEREN’T words removed, but McLeish and and RDM WERE.

My comment about being shit and out of their depth was referring to RDM and McLeish, not Ellis and Hodge.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, rodders0223 said:

He was a pioneer. He paved the way for a lot of men to see that kind of thing as acceptable....I believe it's all the rage now...I'm told.

I never heard anything about offences. Wasn't he just blackmailed by a stripper.

Pioneer of what? Enjoying being ***** by a ***** on? I think that was made popular back in Roman times.

He let his personal life cloud his professional life, he was accused of stuff. Not sure if it went anywhere, obviously if he committed no crime then maybe he shouldn't be on the list.

But he didn't have any kind of meaningful career with us either so not sure why people seem quite so set on defending him.

Edited by VillanousOne

13 hours ago, DJ_Villain said:

People have their kinks… As long as it doesn’t hurt anyone else or cause anyone else to suffer, there’s no problem is there?

Well presume the person black mailing him thought other wise. 

Anyway, he's probably a lovely bloke, and contributed hugely in his 13 appearances. So let's move along. Like back to Alpay who upset Beckham and The England fans so must be a real piece of work... (?)

On 13/11/2021 at 04:34, HongKongVillan said:

Dwight Yorke, great player, but how **** delusional can one man be. But I hope he gets his chance in management replacing Ole, what he deserves

Not that delusional is he considering most of his contemporaries have gotten big jobs with little to no experience. Just to name a few:

Giggs - Wales

Neville - Valencia

Lampard - Derby/Chelsea

Gerrard - Rangers/Villa

Arteta - Arsenal

Rooney - Derby

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

Not that delusional is he considering most of his contemporaries have gotten big jobs with little to no experience. Just to name a few:

Giggs - Wales

Neville - Valencia

Lampard - Derby/Chelsea

Gerrard - Rangers/Villa

Arteta - Arsenal

Rooney - Derby

I think the fact Yorke retired in 2009 and has probably been about 200-300 job vacancies in England alone yet he seems to only want to manage in the top tier

Just now, Zatman said:

I think the fact Yorke retired in 2009 and has probably been about 200-300 job vacancies in England alone yet he seems to only want to manage in the top tier

Again, hardly unrealistic is it? Hell, I could have added Tim Sherwood - Spurs/Villa to that list.

If his name were Frank Lampard or something the narrative would be "he really backs himself/only wants to test himself at the highest level" etc etc. For Yorke it's "deluded word removed'. He left unceremoniously, so I get it from Villa fans.

34 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

Giggs - Wales Spent 5 years as a coach and assistant manager at Man United before Wales job

Neville - Valencia worked as a coach and then promoted to assistant for England before taking Valencia job.

Lampard - Derby/Chelsea got a year in as Chelsea youth coach before derby.

Gerrard - Rangers/Villa experience as Liverpool youth coach, U18s and U19s manager before rangers

Arteta - Arsenal spent 3 years as assistant to arguably the best manager in the world at Man City

Rooney - Derby I'll give you this one.

See comments added. Trawling Google. Dwight Yorke's only coaching experience that I could find was as assistant manager for Trinidad and Tobago during the 2010 WC qualifying campaign and only holds a UEFA B license. 

Edited by Newry_Villan

Gerrard, Lampard, Arteta, and Sherwood all worked in youth football as coaches, Gerrard, Lampard and Arteta were also seen as inspirational leaders on the pitch well into their thirties so management would have been seen as a natural progression for them. I'd like to see Yorke get a job and do well, but he will probably have to start in the lower leagues or work in youth team football rather trying to walk straight into a premier league job with no other experience.

2 minutes ago, Newry_Villan said:

See comments added. Trawling Google. Dwight Yorke's only coaching experience that I could find was as assistant manager for Trinidad and Tobago during the 2010 WC qualifying campaign and only holds a UEFA B license. 

I think that's still more experience than everybody on that list bar Giggs and Arteta, and equal to Neville's. Also he has a B and an A license and I'm not sure if he's done yet but I remember him getting his Pro license this year which lets him manage in the CL (will be a while before Villa get there Dwight!). The fact that we're even splitting hairs like this shows it's not really a delusion.

All this to say, football management is a bit of an "old boys club". I saw someone on Twitter recently hilariously say that it's a "cutthroat meritocracy". It's not. It's about who you as much as it is what you can do. If it weren't, all the names I mentioned would be currently cutting their teeth in League Two and the likes of Alan Pardew wouldn't have managed over 800 games.

24 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

Again, hardly unrealistic is it? Hell, I could have added Tim Sherwood - Spurs/Villa to that list.

If his name were Frank Lampard or something the narrative would be "he really backs himself/only wants to test himself at the highest level" etc etc. For Yorke it's "deluded word removed'. He left unceremoniously, so I get it from Villa fans.

If he really backed himself he would have applied for the hundreds of other unemployed jobs. He was never ever getting the Villa job after how he left and if he thinks he has a chance then he is deluded

21 hours ago, danceoftheshamen said:

I have a few,

Andy Gray... Never forget when i went to watch Villa Play Kiddy Harriers in a pre-season friendly and he was our assistant manager i think at the time, Some young lads asked him for his autograph and he basically told them quite clearly to **** off! Disgraceful.

Randy Lerner for the pityfull way he relegated us through lack of interest & investment... I actually thought Paul Lambert did a good job keeping us up for so long tbh.

But it has to go to the one & only Doug Ellis for me... The countless times he failed to push us that extra bit when it would have been so easy to do so. He Wrecked the Champions of Europe team rapidly too through sheer lack of investment. It was the length of his stay which did me to the point i stopped going and lost interest for over a decade which really hurt me as i had been a Season ticket holder & went to most away games too from 1979 through to the 90's when i had to reduce it because of work etc but still i went to most games for years. It was the late 90's & noughties when i lost interest as it was obvious we were never going to win anything with him there and i swear he was the reason AVFC lost so much respect and that's the reason most under 40 year old fans & pundits don't take us seriously.... why would they having watched us do practically nothing for almost 40 years under his tenure!! It is remarkable to me and a tribute to the true potential of this club that we managed to win a few cups DESPITE him.

Always kind of felt sorry for Lambert… was working under some real restrictions and we genuinely seemed to suck the life out of him. I don’t think he knew what kind of shit show he was walking into! We soon erased the excitement and anticipation of becoming our manager for him!

I couldn’t believe what I was seeing when we started (having) to sign players like Bowery & Bennet… shocked me to my core and gave me the heebie jeebies! 

The “bomb squad” was absolutely disastrous too…

Lerner really tightened the purse strings! We were very lucky to have signed Benteke and for him to have performed as well as he did… he was a monster for us!

We had some decent results and performances under Lambert too like the wins against Citeh and Liverpool. He actually managed to get performances from Gabby and Weimann as wide forwards… Delph (hiss 😆) thrived under him too…

Crazy how we managed to survive in the PL with such a poor/weak team. We had Baker and Clarke as our CB partnership at times. The likes of Westwood, El Ahmadi & Sylla in midfield… FFS. Is it fair to say he did a hell of a job considering? 🤣

We signed some terribly shit players…

He quickly aged and deteriorated from that fresh faced, energetic manager of that fairly exciting Norwich side… we ruined him alright, as we do often do.

They don’t call us the graveyard of managers for no reason!

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Jas10 said:

Always kind of felt sorry for Lambert… was working under some real restrictions and we genuinely seemed to suck the life out of him. I don’t think he knew what kind of shit show he was walking into! We soon erased the excitement and anticipation of becoming our manager for him!

I couldn’t believe what I was seeing when we started (having) to sign players like Bowery & Bennet… shocked me to my core and gave me the heebie jeebies! 

The “bomb squad” was absolutely disastrous too…

Lerner really tightened the purse strings! We were very lucky to have signed Benteke and for him to have performed as well as he did… he was a monster for us!

We had some decent results and performances under Lambert too like the wins against Citeh and Liverpool. He actually managed to get performances from Gabby and Weimann as wide forwards… Delph (hiss 😆) thrived under him too…

Crazy how we managed to survive in the PL with such a poor/weak team. We had Baker and Clarke as our CB partnership at times. The likes of Westwood, El Ahmadi & Sylla in midfield… FFS. Is it fair to say he did a hell of a job considering? 🤣

We signed some terribly shit players…

He quickly aged and deteriorated from that fresh faced, energetic manager of that fairly exciting Norwich side… we ruined him alright, as we do often do.

They don’t call us the graveyard of managers for no reason!

Mee too but you can only do it for so long and by the final season he had gone, lost the plot. His career have never recovered. You are right we are the graveyard for any manager that has been there for over 3 years 

Tony Xia is probably the biggest word removed for me. I mean, it takes some serious ****ery to be a bigger word removed than Ellis, who would easily top this list if it wasn't for the good old doctor.

Lerner for me was like someone said earlier in the thread a guy with genuine intentions, but when money wasn't enough he really was clueless. No plan B, if you like. Some said that he held out to get his money back and that was too long, but didn't he really lose loads of money blanking the debts when he sold?

• Like 1

Â