Biggest word removed to play for/manage/own Villa

Davkaus

On 16/11/2021 at 11:29, lapal_fan said:

People like Lerner, who came in, gave us the Holte Mosaics, the brand new signing you can still see from the motorways, the Holte Pub project, his tattoo, a team that finished 6th 3 times in a row and Acorns, before a messy divorce and league rules coming into play to try and keep the Man Utd, Arsenal, Chelsea & Liverpool annual top 4 together was the real kicker to his reign.  And that people don't understand why he didn't give it away for a £1 like... the mighty Dagenham and Redbridge is... stupid I guess.  Villa, with just our infrastructure and name are worth tens of millions - you don't walk away from that. All that together doesn't really stand up to being a word removed to me - the guy even employed a company to sell us, which is why Xia came along - Lerner just accepted the advice. 

I suppose in retrospect I am biased against Lerner for intangible reasons as well as tangible ones, but to claim the reason I and many others don't like him is because he didn't sell the club for a quid is laughable. He isn't liked, for the most part, because he pulled the rug not only from under the most successful manager we have had in the last 20 years (for all his many, many faults) but from under the entire infrastructure he had built. It could be said that Lerner knocked down his own house of cards out of spite when the job got too difficult. I find it truly bizarre that after our collective experience over the last decade he is somehow now appreciated by many as a kindly benefactor who did the best he could and just came up a little short, rather than the manic narcissist he actually is. 

Edited by dont_do_it_doug.

7 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

I suppose in retrospect I am biased against Lerner for intangible reasons as well as tangible ones, but to claim the reason I and many others don't like him is because he didn't sell the club for a quid is laughable. He isn't liked, for the most part, because he pulled the rug not only from under the most successful manager we have had in the last 20 years (for all his many, many faults) but from under the entire infrastructure he had built. It could be said that Lerner knocked down his own house of cards out of spite when the job got too difficult. I find it truly bizarre that after our collective experience over the last decade he is somehow now appreciated by many as a kindly benefactor who did the best he could and just came up a little short, rather than the manic narcissist he actually is. 

I don't think you've read all of the thread. 

4 minutes ago, lapal_fan said:

I don't think you've read all of the thread. 

I’ve scan read it and can’t see anybody intimate that he should have sold the club for a quid. If they have, then fair enough, but I still don’t think it’s correct to generalise the feeling towards him in that way. It’s too complicated a story. 

10 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

I’ve scan read it and can’t see anybody intimate that he should have sold the club for a quid. If they have, then fair enough, but I still don’t think it’s correct to generalise the feeling towards him in that way. It’s too complicated a story. 

Someone said he should have done what the Rushden and Diamonds chairman did and give it away to the fans for free

3 hours ago, Sulberto21 said:

When I used to work in 4oaks I used to bump into the players a lot.

One of the Jordan’s told me just before he left (Gueye also confirmed it) that The camp was split and the local (Gabby, Lescott) players had too much power. 

however he also intimated that the younger players were constantly made an example of even though the local experienced players did worse (breaking curfew etc) yet a very gifted youngster (Jack) was cut no slack. 

That sounds like a manager not giving a f***!

• Like 1

19 hours ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

But he was romantically nourished! Don’t forget that!

Â