Biggest word removed to play for/manage/own Villa

Davkaus

9 hours ago, Mantis said:

You're not the first person to say Garde and I just do not get it? Yes he was crap but that's not really what this thread is about.

The way he treated players has been well spoken about those the played under him. He was crap for how none of the players wanted to play for him, when he only managed the team for a fews months. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, wict01 said:

Didn't Ellis appoint MON? Think it was his last act before he sold. Lerner can't even claim credit for that one! 

But he did it with Lerner's approval. As General Krulak was already on VT and other forums getting fans opinions. MON was the man we all wanted.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Jas10 said:

Heard on a podcast interview with Brian Little that Curcic missed a game to get a nose job done… no one had informed Brian beforehand either… what a joke…

Probably the earliest “disaster signing” I can remember…

Collymore… what a massive let down he was but that Atletico Madrid goal will live long in the memory… wow! And what a night! 

He didn’t do badly but I remember Alan Thompson being quite underwhelming after we signed him… just remembered him because we also signed him from Bolton (like Curcic)… he was great there, some wonderful long range goals and free kicks but he failed to reproduce that kind of form with us… still lasted a while in JG’s team…

The Athletico game was marvellous, but we still lost the tie on away goals. So it was equally heartbreaking.

We were talking words removed. Collymore has turned himself around, and I like him now. But in his playing days he could certainly be a shit bag.

21 minutes ago, Philosopher said:

The way he treated players has been well spoken about those the played under him. He was crap for how none of the players wanted to play for him, when he only managed the team for a fews months. 

Yeah but think of who those players are. They’re the biggest words removed of all. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Spoony said:

Yeah but think of who those players are. They’re the biggest words removed of all. 

Gabby and Micah Richards are two of them. I don’t consider them words removed. Garde effectively broke Richards, and Gabby was already falling apart and he just put the nail in the coffin. He upset the senior players, several players weren't happy and I believe Jack was one of those as well.

19 minutes ago, lapal_fan said:

It's funny to see what/which kind of characters and reasons people give in this read.

A word removed in my eyes is someone who has no likeable traits in their personality, no modesty, no honesty, no integrity, generally unpleasant and cocky, ostentatious etc on the flip of that. 

People like Lerner, who came in, gave us the Holte Mosaics, the brand new signing you can still see from the motorways, the Holte Pub project, his tattoo, a team that finished 6th 3 times in a row and Acorns, before a messy divorce and league rules coming into play to try and keep the Man Utd, Arsenal, Chelsea & Liverpool annual top 4 together was the real kicker to his reign.  And that people don't understand why he didn't give it away for a £1 like... the mighty Dagenham and Redbridge is... stupid I guess.  Villa, with just our infrastructure and name are worth tens of millions - you don't walk away from that. All that together doesn't really stand up to being a word removed to me - the guy even employed a company to sell us, which is why Xia came along - Lerner just accepted the advice. 

Likewise some players.. These guys are 18-35 year old blokes who have thousands of fans eager to suck up to them, or to say "well done" for a good game or "you're shit" from a bad one - it never surprises me that you hear really nice things they do through charities (like Jack/Gabby with Mo) etc, to them doing things that make them look like idiots.. They're young millionaires with large groups of friends who fuel them with confidence.  Yea they should probably learn to tone down their antics, but having a load of forum-dwellers calling them words removed is pretty hilarious. 

Doug was a funny one.  You mostly hear nice things from 1 to 1 interactions, but most of the staff at Villa didn't like him and obviously fans of the 82 era are more or less unanimously negative about him because of his policies and way of working.  The problem with Doug is that his pride meant everything to him and finances moved out of his reach very quickly, meaning what he probably thought was very generous, was actually very frugal.  But I don't think he was a bad person, I just think he thought a certain way and couldn't get away from that - and that way made him very wealthy.

Xia again.. I don't think the guy is evil, or plotted what transpired at Villa during his tenure.. I personally think there was much more at play behind the scenes and the people he surrounded himself with (Wyness etc) saw him coming into something he didn't understand and exploited that naivety.  Should the guy have been handed the keys to the club?  No way..

I think the closest I can think of anyone who has been at Villa a word removed is probably someone like N'Zogbia.  And I feel harsh with that, because I wouldn't turn down £40,000 a week for 4 years.  The problem is that apart from on very few occasions, he barely worked hard.  He was taking his wage and even took someone to dinner from Twitter who slated him and said to her "I'm not going to walk away from this cash" - which I kinda admire :lol: 

Lescott I believe came with good intentions, like Richards - but their bodies were shot to pieces and when the fans turn toxic, I think they just put their backs up and said "**** you" back, with the car thing and general unprofessional attitude (Lescott, not Richards who apparently worked hard in the gym around the squad). 

Will have to have a real good think, but I don't think there have been many words removed at Villa.  There are players I don't like, or believe they're not good enough - but I don't think they are words removed. 

Cracking post.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Philosopher said:

The Athletico game was marvellous, but we still lost the tie on away goals. So it was equally heartbreaking.

We were talking words removed. Collymore has turned himself around, and I like him now. But in his playing days he could certainly be a shit bag.

The word removed was Curcic.

I just went off on one recalling other things 🤣

3 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

The word removed was Curcic.

I just went off on one recalling other things 🤣

For me Curcic was the worst. He got a big move and thought he was a rock star! 

But Collymore was heartbreaking. I loved him as a player. When he went to Liverpool, he should have joined us then. Liverpool was the wrong move and he would have been amazing alongside Yorke.

11 hours ago, lapal_fan said:

It's funny to see what/which kind of characters and reasons people give in this read.

A word removed in my eyes is someone who has no likeable traits in their personality, no modesty, no honesty, no integrity, generally unpleasant and cocky, ostentatious etc on the flip of that. 

People like Lerner, who came in, gave us the Holte Mosaics, the brand new signing you can still see from the motorways, the Holte Pub project, his tattoo, a team that finished 6th 3 times in a row and Acorns, before a messy divorce and league rules coming into play to try and keep the Man Utd, Arsenal, Chelsea & Liverpool annual top 4 together was the real kicker to his reign.  And that people don't understand why he didn't give it away for a £1 like... the mighty Dagenham and Redbridge is... stupid I guess.  Villa, with just our infrastructure and name are worth tens of millions - you don't walk away from that. All that together doesn't really stand up to being a word removed to me - the guy even employed a company to sell us, which is why Xia came along - Lerner just accepted the advice. 

Likewise some players.. These guys are 18-35 year old blokes who have thousands of fans eager to suck up to them, or to say "well done" for a good game or "you're shit" from a bad one - it never surprises me that you hear really nice things they do through charities (like Jack/Gabby with Mo) etc, to them doing things that make them look like idiots.. They're young millionaires with large groups of friends who fuel them with confidence.  Yea they should probably learn to tone down their antics, but having a load of forum-dwellers calling them words removed is pretty hilarious. 

Doug was a funny one.  You mostly hear nice things from 1 to 1 interactions, but most of the staff at Villa didn't like him and obviously fans of the 82 era are more or less unanimously negative about him because of his policies and way of working.  The problem with Doug is that his pride meant everything to him and finances moved out of his reach very quickly, meaning what he probably thought was very generous, was actually very frugal.  But I don't think he was a bad person, I just think he thought a certain way and couldn't get away from that - and that way made him very wealthy.

Xia again.. I don't think the guy is evil, or plotted what transpired at Villa during his tenure.. I personally think there was much more at play behind the scenes and the people he surrounded himself with (Wyness etc) saw him coming into something he didn't understand and exploited that naivety.  Should the guy have been handed the keys to the club?  No way..

I think the closest I can think of anyone who has been at Villa a word removed is probably someone like N'Zogbia.  And I feel harsh with that, because I wouldn't turn down £40,000 a week for 4 years.  The problem is that apart from on very few occasions, he barely worked hard.  He was taking his wage and even took someone to dinner from Twitter who slated him and said to her "I'm not going to walk away from this cash" - which I kinda admire :lol: 

Lescott I believe came with good intentions, like Richards - but their bodies were shot to pieces and when the fans turn toxic, I think they just put their backs up and said "**** you" back, with the car thing and general unprofessional attitude (Lescott, not Richards who apparently worked hard in the gym around the squad). 

Will have to have a real good think, but I don't think there have been many words removed at Villa.  There are players I don't like, or believe they're not good enough - but I don't think they are words removed. 

That is far too sensible for Villa Talk. Post some random irrational hatred over a person who you may or may not have watched play football years ago.

• Haha 4

9 hours ago, The Fun Factory said:

That is far too sensible for Villa Talk. Post some random irrational hatred over a person who you may or may not have watched play football years ago.

I could name a few VT posters I think are words removed much easier :lol: 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 14/11/2021 at 19:08, Keyblade said:

Not that delusional is he considering most of his contemporaries have gotten big jobs with little to no experience. Just to name a few:

Giggs - Wales

Neville - Valencia

Lampard - Derby/Chelsea

Gerrard - Rangers/Villa

Arteta - Arsenal

Rooney - Derby

On 14/11/2021 at 19:43, Keyblade said:

I think that's still more experience than everybody on that list bar Giggs and Arteta, and equal to Neville's. Also he has a B and an A license and I'm not sure if he's done yet but I remember him getting his Pro license this year which lets him manage in the CL (will be a while before Villa get there Dwight!). The fact that we're even splitting hairs like this shows it's not really a delusion.

I can only agree with half of this. Giggs spent years working as an assistant at Man United, Arteta spent years under Pep at City, Gerrard spent 18 months working with the Liverpool academy as a coach. Youcould argue that they got jobs bigger than they deserved, but they put some work in before getting their first job, learning the ropes in other roles, and stayed in touch with the game. As disastrous as hiring that Gary bloke from the telly was, he's also spent a few years as an assistant with England before taking the job. Yorke's spent a few months working as a coach a decade ago but otherwise has done nothing in 12 years, except for undoubtedly harm his chances by publicly moaning about not getting the gig last time.

At least Rooney and Lampard started in the second tier, but yeah, they were both very questionable appointments

Edited by Davkaus

22 hours ago, lapal_fan said:

I think one of the things that made peoiple hate LErner towards the end is one of the things that most endeared him to a lot of fans at first - he was completely silent, we had no idea what he was thinking, what his intentions were. At first it was a very nice change from the megalomaniac before him, and it was fine when things were going well, but when times weren't so good, it seemed like he was hidingStatements and interviews wouldn't have changed the reality, but it certainly didn't help that it seemed he'd just completely lost any interest and was leaving us to rot.

Of course, when he did speak, he came out with rubbish about romantic nourishment, so maybe it's best he typically kept quiet :D 

On 15/11/2021 at 13:17, gwi1890 said:

Indeed , he was also instrumental in keeping Jack Grealish at the club ,  Jack’s parents and agents were pushing for a move to Man Utd when he was 16 , we would have lost him for peanuts if it wasn’t for Alex McLeish,  All things bad with Villa and McLeish is all on Lerner 

Seriously, wow. Respect to him then...

I always liked Mcleish and disregarding his connections with any other club whilst he was Manager of Villa he deserved better support from the club and fans.

I knew he was under implications from Lerner and possibly Faulkner so in fairness Mcleish didn't do a bad job at all.

*edit, always talks well of Villa too.

Edited by Zhan_Zhuang
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, Philosopher said:

Gabby and Micah Richards are two of them. I don’t consider them words removed. Garde effectively broke Richards, and Gabby was already falling apart and he just put the nail in the coffin. He upset the senior players, several players weren't happy and I believe Jack was one of those as well.

When I used to work in 4oaks I used to bump into the players a lot.

One of the Jordan’s told me just before he left (Gueye also confirmed it) that The camp was split and the local (Gabby, Lescott) players had too much power. 

however he also intimated that the younger players were constantly made an example of even though the local experienced players did worse (breaking curfew etc) yet a very gifted youngster (Jack) was cut no slack. 

Â