Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

Yeah, whichever player or players thought the timing and the manor of the sacking was classless might need to look at themselves. Shit manager or not, the way most played last night and for months has been classless. 

My guess is Nas took that decision and escalated the process last night after becoming very pissed off. I don't think Purslow would've quite dealt with it that way but I'm glad it was. 

4 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

To be fair thats a classy message from him.

Is it really. Just like his famous press conferences, PR bullshit

If he really respected the club and fans he would have quit or not accepted compensation for a disgraceful job

Don't care what he has to say. 

He ripped up the club's sustainable strategy and has set us back for years. 

Hate the guy and Purslow for hiring him. 

Actions speak louder than words. 

Edited by Pinebro
  • Like 3

48 minutes ago, Pinebro said:

Don't care what he has to say. 

He ripped up the club's sustainable strategy and has set us back for years. 

Hate the guy and Purslow for hiring him. 

Actions speak louder than words. 

I’m more annoyed with Purslow than with Gerrard.

Gerrard didn’t hide his plans or mislead anyone. He just wasn’t up to the task.

Purslow tore up a strategy that was basically working (in a long term sense) to take a huge punt on someone he’d obviously hero worshipped.

Hopefully we can get back to buying younger players and building to a 5 year plan again.

It’s mad that all our highest wage earners were signed by Gerrard and are probably past their career peaks.

• Like 1

No hard feelings Steven. Hope you left your ego at the VP gate. I wish you well in punditry or whatever you choose to do next. Management just isn't for you. Take a leaf out of Tim Sherwood's book. And if you do think of trying your hand at management again, do yourself and everyone else a favour and start at the bottom.

10 hours ago, AvonVillain said:

If you're trying to read it on a pc, wait for the story to come up and immediately hit the X (stop) button on the browser. Never fails for me.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, imavillan said:

I Think Mat Kendrick sums it up....

I think that is spot on. If Gerrard is clever, he will allow himself to be humbled by his experience here and actually learn.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, daft said:

I think that is spot on. If Gerrard is clever, he will allow himself to be humbled by his experience here and actually learn.

Learn he's not cut out for managing footballers? The ego he built up as a player (warranted) has hindered his development as a manager. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, tinker said:

Learn he's not cut out for managing footballers? The ego he built up as a player (warranted) has hindered his development as a manager. 

Maybe. Successful people generally don't give up just because they struggle or hit bumps in the road. They learn, try something different and tries to learn from that. Maybe at a different level, another league or whatever. We'll see. 

• Like 2

This is intriguing 🧐

In his thirty-eight league games we took forty-four points and had a goal difference of minus five, this is where we would have finished in the last twelve seasons with that points total and goal difference

2021/2022 15th
2020/2021 15th
2019/2020 14th
2018/2019 15th
2017/2018 10th
2016/2017 12th
2015/2016 14th
2014/2015 13th
2013/2014 12th
2012/2013 11th
2011/2012 15th
2010/2011 15th

Also interesting that over the same 38 game period Wolves and West Ham also took just forty-four ponts, likes of Leicester, Palace, Brentford, and Brighton, weren't much better, but I guess those teams being better at all doesn't reflect well on us, or Wolves and West Ham for that matter, given the comparative resources.

9 hours ago, a m ole said:

I think he means it, I don’t hold any grudges. 

I think he know he was lucky to get such a good job with little experience and he knows he failed completely despite having everything at his disposal to be a success. 

What's really shocking is that it took the owner storming out to finally get rid of him, he should never have got the job in the first place and should have been sacked at the end of last season. Set the club back at least 18 months.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, useless said:

In his thirty-eight league games we took forty-four points and had a goal difference of minus five,.....

Unfortunately after that initial new manager bounce where over his first 6 games we took 12 points over the next 32 games we took just 32 points/a point a game. In fact he got progressively worse. Last 10 games of last season we took 9 points. This season, after two transfer windows and a full pre season, after 11 games we have only taken 9 points.

If he'd have started off slowly and improved then he would not yet have been sacked. The fact is though after that half dozen games new manager bounce we have got progressively worse both in terms of results and performances which are now both dire.  

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Dale said:

Conduct related sacking... Even though it was coming anyway - compensation waived? 

I think it's bollocks. I mean, security having to climb through the ceiling to get into the changing room ffs. 

If it had kicked off to that level they wouldn't have all travelled back on the coach together. 

• Like 1

Wish him well I don’t have any ill will towards him. But if he wants to be successful he needs to go to league 1/2 and learn so that when his assistants leave he won’t fall apart. He needs to be the brains of the operation. 

3 hours ago, newhavenhibby said:

Feel for you guys. Said when he left Rangers for Villa it was one almighty gamble which has since proved to be foolhardy.

Up here, our cat could be in charge  of one of the "big 2" and eventually win something due to their financial superiority in our pub league and some would say that one trophy in his time at Ibrox was underperforming?   

To then go straight into the Premier League was ambitious for both him and Villa. His next move should have been to a lower Championship Club or a big name in Div 1 at best, where he could learn his craft and develop his "people skills"!!

Wish you lads all the best and hope the next manager has more idea about how to set the team up and get the best out the players.

ps:  if you've finished with McGinn, send him back up here as he should still be able to do a job at our level. 🤣

Perhaps the new guy will see him as a squad player and not an automatic choice every week and certainly not Captain! 

Good man, thanks. I'll wait to see what a new manager can get out of McGinn, but at the moment, sad to say he's not really performing for us. Maybe a move up north will help his international career also? Could be a good move.

Â