Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

48 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

Never known a manager to spout so much BS… it’s all WORSE NOW!

I can't believe this guy, he throws everybody under the bus. It's just one big blame game. He's now started on Dean and Shaky. OMG

• Like 2

1 minute ago, USA_Villa said:

I can't believe this guy, he throws everybody under the bus. It's just one big blame game. He's now started on Dean and Shaky. OMG

Why is he even mentioning stuff like that. Desperation.

1 hour ago, Jas10 said:

Excuses, excuses 🙄

So I guess we can’t judge Forest as a newly promoted side either as they spent money.

Absolute clown. Comical how transparent he is now being in trying to destroy any form of expectation.

3 minutes ago, penguin said:

So I guess we can’t judge Forest as a newly promoted side either as they spent money.

Absolute clown. Comical how transparent he is now being in trying to destroy any form of expectation.

To be fair, I think what he probably meant was just is that we can't under estimate them.

Which is true, and goes for any side in the League.

17 minutes ago, penguin said:

All managers say something respectful about the opposition, even Pep does that.

Yes, it would have been more entertaining if they done some proper fighting talk like:
I don’t understand why we have to play those losers, just give us the 3 points
Not sure how that collection of overweight amateurs are able to call them self premier league players
It seems like everybody can become managers these days, XXX shouldn’t even be allowed to coach a pub team.

So this is not something to criticise Gerrard about. 

20 hours ago, nick76 said:

Like what?  He’s the man completely in charge on the training ground.  If the dynamics aren’t working then it’s his responsibility to fix them.  You think of any type of issue…..then when you think about it it’s in his control.  I can’t think of anything that isn’t.

If I knew, I wouldn't ask. It's speculative.. I'm not really talking about what he controls or doesn't, but what might be happening that the public and media can't see or may not know about. Just curious about people's thoughts.

10 minutes ago, viivvaa66 said:

All managers say something respectful about the opposition, even Pep does that.

Yes, it would have been more entertaining if they done some proper fighting talk like:
I don’t understand why we have to play those losers, just give us the 3 points
Not sure how that collection of overweight amateurs are able to call them self premier league players
It seems like everybody can become managers these days, XXX shouldn’t even be allowed to coach a pub team.

So this is not something to criticise Gerrard about. 

Well you’ve taken that to quite the logical extreme, there is a whole gulf in between there.

Devoid of any context though, sure I can see how it could just read as a BAU pre-match quote, if not a little odd. But in the context of quotes all within a week of:

“Chelsea should be coming to Villa Park and wiping the floor with us”.

Him favourable comparing the situation now to when he took over.

Now our next opposition can’t be judged as newly promoted side.

All taken together absolutely reeks of a man desperate to lower expectations to me.

9 minutes ago, penguin said:

“Chelsea should be coming to Villa Park and wiping the floor with us”.

This was in response to question about Potter and what his expectations would be from their fans, etc. If anything its about putting more pressure on them than us, because I doubt Gerrard was saying the same to our players. They didn't. They were lucky to get a result in the end and our performance was very good. Non issue.

12 minutes ago, penguin said:

Him favourable comparing the situation now to when he took over.

He's right in the specific terms he mentioned. We are 6 points from last 5 games, and were unlucky it wasn't more. That is better than 0 points from 5 games and having deserved that return from them. Wider context sure that's less the case. Longer term form compared to where Smith is about the same in terms of points return. We are absolutely better defensively than Smith's team and consistely have been under Gerrard. We are cleary worse in forward areas than under Smith (at least when we had Grealish. Without him, less so.) though until this season we were on the whole trending upwards in this area. But clearly Gerrard is going to try and back himself and try and highlight what positives he can. Be weird if he didn't

18 minutes ago, penguin said:

Now our next opposition can’t be judged as newly promoted side.

Same kinda shite most manager's come out with at most press conferences. "Opposition are better than you might think so we need to be prepared, can't expect anything to come easy." Keeps own players focused. Puts more expectation on opposition. Non issue.

39 minutes ago, Marka Ragnos said:

If I knew, I wouldn't ask. It's speculative.. I'm not really talking about what he controls or doesn't, but what might be happening that the public and media can't see or may not know about. Just curious about people's thoughts.

That’s the problem, other people have used the excuse (not you) to defend him saying we don’t know if something going on at the training ground or elsewhere.  Yet when I ask like what, in terms of the training ground, which he fully controls, nobody seems to have anything.  He controls the training ground, if there is a problem it’s under his control.  I think sometimes we are trying to find an excuse aside from the obvious of just poor coaching.  If somebody had a real other excuse then fine but something we can’t think of, something the media don’t know about just seems unlikely now that would have such an affect to the squad and the performances for so long in real matches.  Plus if there was don’t we think the CEO and owners would’ve gotten involved, we haven’t heard anything like that.  Just poor coaching!

Â