Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

The sad thing with Gerrard is that I don’t actually think he would get us relegated, due to the relative strength of the squad. I just think he would Squeak enough draws and the odd win to have us hovering around 15th place all season. And I’m worried that this would be enough to preserve his job on the basis that we are not in the bottom 3 and the faint hope we are always about to turn the corner, whilst being miles and miles off the top 8 which was the target this season. It’s clear to see that Gerrard is not the long term solution so it would be an utter waste of season to stick it out with him when we could let a new coach get to grips with the team ahead of a push next year.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Pinebro said:

We've had a kind fixture list and are averaging below a point per game. A harder fixture list is coming up so I dont know how people are feeling so confident. 

Yep agreed. Gerrard stays we're relegated. After that start we should be well in the top half now. 

11 hours ago, Chine said:

Wouldn’t be surprised if we start converting chances and score 6 plus over the next 2 games , Gerrard will then get the reprieve then back to normal shite until in seriously deep in February 

This is why you can't judge a manager on a couple of results. He has shown before that he can string a couple of half decent results together. However over the long term he has also shown that he isn't a very good manager. That's why there should be no reprieve, even if he wins both games. 

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Made In Aston said:

This is why you can't judge a manager on a couple of results. He has shown before that he can string a couple of half decent results together. However over the long term he has also shown that he isn't a very good manager. That's why there should be no reprieve, even if he wins both games. 

You know what, if we performed anywhere near the way we have performed against the likes of City and Chelsea, against lesser teams, he have alot more points 🤦🏿‍♂️

5 hours ago, Aston_Villan4 said:

Hey NSFW. Let’s get this over with already.

spacer.png

Nassef Sawiris For Wes?

Have they started a more intimate relationship than just a business one? Guess it gets pretty boring in those boxes watching Villa these days.

• Haha 2

It's kind of crazy when you think about it that we hired a manager on the basis of doing well at a team in a league which his opposition was the standard of bottom half championship/top half league 1.

Like it's not at all surprising that it hasn't worked.

10 minutes ago, turvontour said:

It's kind of crazy when you think about it that we hired a manager on the basis of doing well at a team in a league which his opposition was the standard of bottom half championship/top half league 1.

Like it's not at all surprising that it hasn't worked.

He wasn’t my first choice. But I gradually came round to the idea of him taking over. Obviously that has turned out to be a disaster. We need to get the next one right.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

You know what, if we performed anywhere near the way we have performed against the likes of City and Chelsea, against lesser teams, he have alot more points 🤦🏿‍♂️

But still the same problems of team selections, tactical inability, favouritism, not bringing youth through, buying expensive older players, treatment of certain players and lack of coaching skills.

Long term, he is a no go.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Pinebro said:

We've had a kind fixture list and are averaging below a point per game. A harder fixture list is coming up so I dont know how people are feeling so confident. 

This is what is terrifying.  When you look at who we have played so far, we're in big trouble because the rest of our season is going to be much much harder.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, mikeyjavfc said:

The sad thing with Gerrard is that I don’t actually think he would get us relegated, due to the relative strength of the squad. I just think he would Squeak enough draws and the odd win to have us hovering around 15th place all season. And I’m worried that this would be enough to preserve his job on the basis that we are not in the bottom 3 and the faint hope we are always about to turn the corner, whilst being miles and miles off the top 8 which was the target this season. It’s clear to see that Gerrard is not the long term solution so it would be an utter waste of season to stick it out with him when we could let a new coach get to grips with the team ahead of a push next year.

The proverbial too good to go down. I’m not so sure. In my experience the worst team that visits Villa Park aren’t usually the team that goes down and often a surprisingly decent team gets sucked in and implodes. Often a team lacking confidence who on paper should be doing better. 

Adding my 2 pennies worth.

Gerrard will probably go onto be a good manager. But he is clearly learning on the job and not ready for this challenge.

It was unbelievably naïve for Purslow to have given Gerrard this job, with a resume consisting of only beating Neil Lennon (just sacked by a Cypriot team) in a 2 team league. If his name was David Thompson (or another forgotten Liverpool player) with the same Resume he would get nowhere near a PL club.

Cut your losses, get rid, get an experienced manager in.

5 minutes ago, pas5898 said:

Gerrard will probably go onto be a good manager. But he is clearly learning on the job and not ready for this challenge.

It was unbelievably naïve for Purslow to have given Gerrard this job, with a resume consisting of only beating Neil Lennon (just sacked by a Cypriot team) in a 2 team league. If his name was David Thompson (or another forgotten Liverpool player) with the same Resume he would get nowhere near a PL club.

I think it’s all relative. Premier League is arguably the strongest league in the world. If you can’t cut it as a manager in that league it doesn’t make you a bad manager.  

He could go on to be very successful in lower leagues. This job was way too big too soon for him.  Even Lampard tested himself in the Championship first.

We really need to get the next appointment right. 

9 minutes ago, pas5898 said:

I actually agree with you and think you have a point.

I've said in the past, he very well could go on to have a decent/ good career.

But this job has come way too early for him and as you say in hindsight it was probably a bad/naive appointment for where we are and want to go.

He would have been better off " learning " at a.lower level or lesser team than ours like other Managers have.

He would then be much more well equipped to potentially take on a challenge like ours.

Similarly to what Bardell has said, it's sad because I loved him as a player, the worse it gets for him here, the further his reputation and prospects ( In Management anyway ) decline.

You don't even see any sort of fire from him anymore, I actually think that left after the poor performances and losses started.

He seems to have even lost his own confidence and that is good for no one.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, Dale said:

As Steve Bruce has... :trollface:

To be fair, last I checked, Steve Bruce has had career earning of 55 million dollars 😮.

So there very much is a niche market for a failing Manager with a " reputation " 😂

" I've been promoted 5 times, even though I'm the one who relegated the clubs in the first place, it doesn't matter! " 👀

• Like 1

Thing is this isnt a difficult sacking. The facts and figures speak for themselves, so it would not be a hard one to explain or justify to fans, media or even Gerrard himself.

There is also no danger of a fan revolt 

It is a simple decision and one which should be easy to deliver

Â