Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

8 hours ago, ozvilla28 said:

I think his created a toxic dressing room with issues preseason and the handling of certain players and team pity our owners haven't woken up.

The way he handled the Mings situation has upset a lot (I think)

• Like 3

Even if we drew or won on Sunday, I really can’t see him turning this overall mess around. He’s already shown that he can obtain the odd result/performance from somewhere, probably by fluke, but we’ll never have that consistency under him. That is the alarming fact in all this.

In twelve months there is simply no improvement and quite honestly, we’ve probably regressed somewhat.  Confidence in the squad is shot, age of the squad has gone up, salaries have gone up and with a very bloated backroom team, expensive to remove.

I really can’t fathom why there is a delay in getting rid of Gerrard but I suppose it’s very complicated and going to be very costly to the club.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, RicRic said:

Extremely!!! Worrying And @Vive_La_Villa fear is nothing may be brewing and the owners are not phased by the current performances 

How can you be super successful in business, own a football club, but then think actually yea current performances and results are exactly what I want for the amount of money put into the team. Makes no sense. They must be annoyed. Like the fans that pay to see the current crap. 

1 hour ago, Delphouneso said:

A little OT but this for me is why I think Purslow either needs to go with Gerrard or be confined to non-footballing matters. He's shown he's prepared to completely tear up the long term plan to accommodate someone largely unproven, I don't think we can expect him to suddenly grow some conviction if/when we get an actual football manager in.

100% agree. Purslow should not be getting involved in football matters, that is what Lange is employed for. It does however seem that Purslow does stick his nose in on these things, and that is a concern as that is not his strength and it hampers the job Lange is supposed to do. Purslow's role should be no more than to rubber stamp Gerrard and Lange's decision for football matters like recruitment etc.

Edited by NeilS

1 hour ago, Dodgyknees said:

The way he handled the Mings situation has upset a lot (I think)

I think it started before that. I think Targett was a popular player and was pretty much forced out.

My theory is might be wrong but timelines add up but I think Mings said something about that and not so long after Gerrard kept saying he would review the captaincy

31 minutes ago, Tayls said:

How can you be super successful in business, own a football club, but then think actually yea current performances and results are exactly what I want for the amount of money put into the team. Makes no sense. They must be annoyed. Like the fans that pay to see the current crap. 

Super successful business people back themselves to hire the right people (Purslow), then trust their board members / execs to do the right thing with the staff underneath them.

They won't sack Gerrard, they also had next to nothing to do with the hiring of Gerrard. It's all on Purslow.

They can't decide between Poch and Tuchel so they are letting Slippy run the show til they sort it out....

This is the only logical explanation!

Edited by Villan_of_oz
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Delphouneso said:

A little OT but this for me is why I think Purslow either needs to go with Gerrard or be confined to non-footballing matters. He's shown he's prepared to completely tear up the long term plan to accommodate someone largely unproven, I don't think we can expect him to suddenly grow some conviction if/when we get an actual football manager in.

I have some hope Purslow will do the necessary & sacked Gerrard , Mate or no mate.  Correct me me if I am wrong  I remember reading Purslow is a minority share holder in Villa, he would need to defend his own interest it’s no good if we get relegated. 

Regarding the lack of rumours let's not forget Villa, for whatever reason, are now incredibly good at keeping things quiet. Many of our signings seemingly came out of nowhere and I'm hoping the same thing will happen with Gerrard's replacement.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

I think it started before that. I think Targett was a popular player and was pretty much forced out.

My theory is might be wrong but timelines add up but I think Mings said something about that and not so long after Gerrard kept saying he would review the captaincy

I think all of that would have been forgiven if we actually won matches and were not absolutely horrendous to watch after paying over 10% more to watch this guff this season.

• Like 1

Â