Never sure how accurate these club wage lists are, but

https://www.classicalfinance.com/aston-villa-wages/

Name Weekly Wages Annual Wages
Lucas Digne  £163,000 £8,500,000
Boubacar Kamara  £150,000 £7,800,000
Philippe Coutinho  £125,000 £6,500,000
Danny Ings  £120,000 £6,240,000
Diego Carlos  £100,000 £5,200,000

These are supposedly the top 5 earners at the club. Gerrard signed 4 of them, and the other had only been here a few months when Gerrard joined.

Now ok, three of them are currently injured, but Diego Carlos excluded, he's had plenty of time to get a tune out of the others, and he's inherited a bunch of expensive signings from Smith.

I'm fed up of hearing he either needs more time or has been unlucky with injuries. The only injury that I sympathise with him on is Diego Carlos. That was really bad luck. Everything else has been there really for him to work with, and he's done nothing.

6 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

I am as disappointed as you, but I *think* this might be a bit of an overreaction.

Maybe, but I don't remember how we ever scored a goal, and even if we held every opponent to a nil-nil draw for the rest of the season, we need to score some goals or we're gone.  

10 minutes ago, Talldarkandransome said:

Giving him the Chelsea game is like saying if you climb Everest without oxygen you can stay. Pointless.

I think he's had enough time now, no overall improvement and we are in the same position, if not worse. 

We said the same thing when we were up against City and we managed a draw.  The PL is weird like that.  Sadly I think he would have gone today if it was going to happen.  They would rather sleepwalk into a relegation battle than have to make the admission of such a mistake.

28 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Miserable gits ;)

I know, I know 

It just makes me laugh that so many people think bookies are some kind of source of inside information instead of a pure mathematical mechanism that reacts directly to bets placed with them. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Talldarkandransome said:

Giving him the Chelsea game is like saying if you climb Everest without oxygen you can stay. Pointless.

I think he's had enough time now, no overall improvement and we are in the same position, if not worse. 

As I said this morning, it just gives them an unarguable excuse. He loses that then he's got a worse record than Smith did at the time of his sacking. 

They can quote their own statement from the Smith press release and none of his mates can argue he's failed to deliver on the stated remit. 

Nor can they argue its premature because he had the same time as Smith. 

2 minutes ago, sidcow said:

As I said this morning, it just gives them an unarguable excuse. He loses that then he's got a worse record than Smith did at the time of his sacking. 

They can quote their own statement from the Smith press release and none of his mates can argue he's failed to deliver on the stated remit. 

Nor can they argue its premature because he had the same time as Smith. 

Copy & paste, just replace the word Smith with Gerrard.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, andym said:

Check out some of the line ups even at the end of our 55 point season when Grealish was injured, the run of form that lead to 'Smith can't do it without Jack'

Everton at home our attackers were Barkley, Traore, El Ghazi and Davis. We had Elmo starting games at RB, our back ups on the bench included Neil Taylor, Engels and Wesley. There's two players there who retired that summer, and players like Barkley and Wesley who were pretty much done at any reasonable level.

Its also funny how other managers seem to get more out of their teams - e.g. before this season Almiron had a grand total of 9 premier league goals in 110 games; he's got 4 in 9 so far this year. Look at Brighton; Trossard's best goalscoring season was last year with 8 (so barely better than Traore), Welbeck has never hit double figures. Yet because of how well they are coached as a team, they can still get results.

Every team we would think of as rivals for that challenging top half and europe have weaknesses in their XIs and in their squad, yet their managers don't get the excuses made for them Gerrard is getting.

Its also worth pointing out that if Gerrard wanted to completely change the midfield this summer he could have - he was allowed to spend 25mil on a left back when we already had a serviceable one, he was allowed to bring in Coutinho on 17mil and mega high wages when we were already full of attacking players. 30mil on Carlos when we already had 4 centre backs on the books. If he went to Purslow saying 'i want to spend 30mil on a new midfielder', there's no way he was getting turned down. McGinn and Ramsey make up 2/3 of our midfield every game because that is what he wants, even though everyone else can see it simply doesn't work.

Communication is such a massive part of being a manager these days - something Smith, Eddie Howe, Klopp, Potter, Guardiola etc. all excel at. Martin O'Neill and Alex Ferguson too - they know how to get in player's heads and make them feel like they're ten better than they are. I suspect this is a massive blind spot in Gerrard. His treatment of Mings is good evidence of this, but the attacking players look totally devoid of any confidence - especially when you compare them to the like of Almiron or Trossard as you've mentioned. Our players are all going backward at the moment.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, ROTTERDAM1982 said:

Villas record under DS with Jack was 1.5 points per game, without him 0.8.

My point is , maybe it is SGs fault, but maybe the players have been found.

In answer to previous points

PC at £17m is an absolute steal

Carlos, significantly improves the back 4, as does Kamara in midfield. The kind of midfielder that DS refused to acknowledge we needed.

Digne is a better player that Targett, granted some people may disagree, but in reality we paid £10m for him.

Dendonker and Chambers are good squad players.

The players that have come in under SG improve the team and squad.

If I was the next Villa manager i would replace Bailey, Watkins and McGinn, and if we do that with better quality then i believe that PC,Emi, and Ramsey will get better.

But thats my view, i haven't seen a good Villa team in 20 years, Jack briefly got me excited again, but hes gon now, and i think the quality is not good enough to get us in the top 8. And if as you seem to think, the players are good enough, what happens if they don't like the next manager/

Again, the pro Gerrard group on here have pointed to Villa being the 9th best team last season, since his appointment.  If the table began from his first game up to and including the Man City capitulation, Villa - 9th, just about.

Completely without Kamara and Carlos and a proportion of it without Coutinho, Digne, Chambers.

So the players he inherited can’t be that bad. I think they have some accountability and I think there’s a couple we shouldn’t be starting as regularly as we do (the ones you highlight). But overall they’re a damn sight better than how he’s had them playing for a while now.

Edited by Mark Albrighton
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, penguin said:

Exactly.

Precisely why I find it so strange that it blows a few peoples minds when some intimate they’d would rather we just lose and get rid of him sooner. There’s a huge potential for him to linger around like a bad smell and write off the whole season.

If losses against Leeds and Forest would have been the end of him who wouldn’t have taken it in hindsight? 2 points worse off but we lose the gangrenous limb and are much better off for it over the course of the season and beyond.

Some people can't see the bigger picture.

I made the following up 'jesting', but many a true word is spoken in jest.

He's got the next three games to save his job, there's no appetite to sack him immediately after going four games unbeaten, but it's also appreciated that things need to improve fast, he won't get the sack should we merely lose to Chelsea as it's recognized what a difficult fixture that is, but if we lose by a big margin and put in a poor performance that could change things, looks like Fulham and Brentford the key games, four points at least expected.

In ten days time Gerrard will have either secured his future for the time being, maybe until the World Cup Break, or might not even be our manager, depending on how the next three games go, so a big week or so coming up.

Â