Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

5 minutes ago, Villa_Vids said:

We will see. We beat Bolton 4-1. Through to the next round. If we had lost then your point is justified. It is not positivity just reality and facts.

The reality and facts are Gerrard hasn’t beat a top 6 squad though, he’s done nothing to earn any faith in his ability to do so

51 minutes ago, Villa_Vids said:

Go back to after the West Ham game  and read the predictions people made about the upcoming games - we were losing all of them. "Gerrard isn't pragmatic enough" "he can't adapt". Then Gerrard addresses the slump, pretty or not but is vilified - that is the truth. People are upset he hasn't folded up. Smith folded up last season without Grealish, like it or lump it.

Thats so true. Hes addressed the defensive aspect of our game. We created chances at Leeds. Just need to  have more of a killer instinct. The pretty football will come. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, AstonMartyn88 said:

If we don’t get a convincing victory vs Forest I think he’s done. 

Nailed on 2-0 to Forest. 

If it's definitely Gerrard out, that wouldn't be a bad result.

I don't think it would be enough though. He didn't win a game against any non-relegated side from March to May and he was still allowed to blow a load of short-term money.

20 minutes ago, PaulC said:

Thats so true. Hes addressed the defensive aspect of our game. We created chances at Leeds. Just need to  have more of a killer instinct. The pretty football will come. 

It’s rare for pretty football to suddenly come without work being done on the training pitch.

Depends on what you consider pretty of course, but if it’s slower possession based football like Man City, or quick attacking football like Liverpool of last season, there are hundreds or thousands of hours of coaching behind it.

Positioning drills where the pitch is divided into smaller squares and players learn to make themselves available in the best way, rehearsing pressing traps, various patterns in and out of possession and so on. The game today is faster than ever and if a manager basically sends the players out to improvise, the result will be poor.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, IrishVilla10 said:

Gerrard improved the team significant in both January and the summer and we’ve not improved in any way though 

Improved with who? Carlos and Kamara who are both out? Or the casts offs from Southampton and Wolves we panicked and bought in near the deadline? 

The only significant improvements were on the injury table in the last game bar Coutinho, who is a complete enigma. 

1 hour ago, skarroki said:

Improved with who? Carlos and Kamara who are both out? Or the casts offs from Southampton and Wolves we panicked and bought in near the deadline? 

The only significant improvements were on the injury table in the last game bar Coutinho, who is a complete enigma. 

Digne coutinho Kamara aren’t considered improvements? Kamara only got injured in the last game. Carlos unfortunate but we’re actually not struggling in defence as much as we are in attack, Carlos doesn’t change this 

2 minutes ago, IrishVilla10 said:

Digne coutinho Kamara aren’t considered improvements? Kamara only got injured in the last game. Carlos unfortunate but we’re actually not struggling in defence as much as we are in attack, Carlos doesn’t change this 

Digne and Coutinho have been a bit underwhelming tbh.  I think Digne has been asked to do too much by the tactics though, doing the job in a back 4 and provide all the attacks down the left.  We blew our wage structure to bring them in and have zero chance of getting any money for them in the future so need them to be performing now to get any value.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

Digne and Coutinho have been a bit underwhelming tbh.  I think Digne has been asked to do too much by the tactics though, doing the job in a back 4 and provide all the attacks down the left.  We blew our wage structure to bring them in and have zero chance of getting any money for them in the future so need them to be performing now to get any value.

All Gerrards issues though. He’s improved the team and not don’t anything with the players he’s signed 

• Like 1

Re the response to the Archer question:

I just watched the Villa View Post Match Pint with Dan Bardell and @omariqy.

In Gerrard's defence, according to Bardell, someone he knew was at the press conference, and they said the response to the Archer question was said in a very jokey way and was in no way an attempt to shoot Preece down. Apparently Preece had also asked him about Archer on Friday.

So that one has been blown out of proportion.

• Like 1

On 31/08/2022 at 09:52, HeyAnty said:

That’s why I’d pull the pin now.  Don’t give him the chance to pull a cabbage head result out of the bag and them limp on for another 6 or 7 games

I said this just before the city game and unfortunately it has happened.  He will limp on and we will be left up sh1t creek when they do eventually pull the pin.

I would like to give him credit for taking the armband off Mings as it seems to have relieved some of the burden from Mings and he looks very good at the back again now. I'd like to see him play alongside Bednarek in future matches.

Just to have another swipe at him though, you could say it appears the mental effects of wearing the armband are now damaging McGinn. However I'd also argue the formation and tactics are doing that and he's also looked championship standard for the best part of a year

3 minutes ago, skarroki said:

I would like to give him credit for taking the armband off Mings as it seems to have relieved some of the burden from Mings and he looks very good at the back again now. I'd like to see him play alongside Bednarek in future matches.

Just to have another swipe at him though, you could say it appears the mental effects of wearing the armband are now damaging McGinn. However I'd also argue the formation and tactics are doing that and he's also looked championship standard for the best part of a year

I know you would like to, but sorry no you can't. 😂

I don't know at any other club where the captains armband has made the player worse. It should inspire the player to lead and set the example, as much I have seen of McGinn he is silent.

8 hours ago, Villan_of_oz said:

Simple question...

Who is playing better under Gerrard than under the previous management?

Because I can list a few players who have declined under SGs reign

More than a few.

Can anyone who watched rangers under gerrard confirm if they olayed like the way we do? I appreciate the scottish league is very poor in comparison to PL outside celtic and rangers but i dont recall seeing rangers playing this style of football

Â