Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

We basically stopped playing after the goal, balls played back in crowded areas by players, play was far too slow, when we did create some good movements, they were followed up by poor first touches.

A good team would have put 4 or 5 against that Southampton team today, not good enough.

Don’t know what Gerrard was so happy about at the end of the game, first half was just a pass, but poor against a poor team in the second half.

It is weird that even after a win I'm struggling to say anything positive about Gerrard, it's all very lacklustre, very lethargic in opening parts of the game. There's no zip or willingness to up the tempo. I'd usually defend a win as 3 points but I kinda hope he is gone and we get someone better in

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, a m ole said:

Buckle up lads - with the games we have coming up I think he’ll get just enough points to stay in the job until after the World Cup.

It's true. Sadly I think baring some crazy collapse he gets the whole season. Owners and Purslow must love him. 

I'm afraid that we're stuck with him for the rest of the season unless we get really deep into a relegation battle.

With Diego Carlos and Kamara out, we're not getting into Europe even if we bring in a new manager. At the other end of the table, games like today show that we're just good enough to scrape by and stay up. Midtable mediocrity is our destiny. The owners will probably decide to ride out the season and save some money and make their move next year.

• Sad 1

Â